Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
4 registered (pufferfish, 3 invisible), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62520 Topics
438138 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#402524 - 07/04/12 02:32 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hehehehe Thanks Keith for that incredibly scientific insight, made me smile though, although truth be told it should make us all cry.
I look at my family, me brother brother step brother, all victims so we are 4 out of 6, screws the figures a bit.

Thanks all for the responses. I am going to post another thread about what sort of info is needed or would be of interest. Any ideas here would help a lot.

heal well
Martin

#402658 - 07/05/12 06:02 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Steve0123 Offline

If that 1 in 6 criteria is true that means there are at least 25 million men in the USA in a similar situation as some of us....where are they? I have never actually met a man who is a survivor of csa....many women, sometimes it feels like every woman....but never a man.

#402699 - 07/05/12 10:53 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
I met a few dozen CSA-surviving men when I attended some groups early in my recovery process, but I haven't met any face-to-face in other settings. No matter what the CSA percentage is, obviously we don't like to disclose.

John

#402706 - 07/06/12 02:16 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is what makes this such a difficult thing to sort.
We need a men's revolution, similar to the woman's lib movement, something that will raise awareness of the fact that men also suffer in silence and don't really have too.

Heal well all
Martin

#402787 - 07/06/12 06:46 PM * [Re: whome]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 06:06 PM)

#402822 - 07/07/12 04:26 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks STB.

I am here asking People, Victims, For their opinions, for their input.
How do we raise awareness about the sexual exploitation of men. Gee those words in a sentence don't kinda sit right do they. THE SEXUAL EXPLOITATION OF MEN? Dont think we are going to get a lot of help from healthy men on this.

Please Guys, I know that you are all struggling with your own healing, but please take time out and jot some Ideas about how to raise awareness and remove the shame and fear of reporting Sexual abuse Perpetrated on men.

Heal well
Martin

#402829 - 07/07/12 09:22 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Healing is hard and I have found one way to help me is to speak about it and not be silent. Some people are so in the dark about CSA and how it is related to trauma, PTSD and the triggers and flashbacks that come with it.

I will give it some thought. I have joined an organization Stop CSA, attended some events, I have written editorials, talk to people about it--and there are some great people out there who do not judge but are open and there to be a shoulder in times of need. Then there are others--who are ignorant and demeaning, they say they are compassionate and good people, but when you hear them you would not see those traits. So victims are scared to speak because of the reactions--

But yes, the world needs to know and those who doubt it, should feel grateful and blessed they do not have to live it.

#402832 - 07/07/12 11:17 AM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
F.A. Offline

Loc: United States
1 in 6 comes from the under reporting by males because of the stigma. I am would not be surprised to find out it is 1 in 4 or even 1 in 3

To be sick is to be fragmented. To be healed is to become whole, and to become whole one must be in harmony with family, friends, and nature" -Navajo-
Blog: http://csafresno.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/CSAFresno
My Story: http://tinyurl.com/78upvvu

#402835 - 07/07/12 12:36 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
JLM35 Offline

Loc: Earth
1 in 6 males will be abused before the age of 18. Those statistics are thought to be much higher unfortunately, because they only reflect the number of victims who have actually reported the abuse.

Here's some other statistics for you:

The average child abuser in his/her lifetime has abused more than 100 children. It is thought that more than 5 times that number has been at least "groomed," but physical sexual assault never occurred.

Male and female children are more often abused by their own biological parent(s), mainly heterosexual married men, or rather their own fathers. After parental abuse, there's another relative, close family friend, teacher, coach, and so on. Believe it or not, but Catholic priests account for just a small portion of child sexual predators; less than 5%. (I was abused by at least one Catholic priest, maybe 2. I just have sketchy memories of a second priest abuser. I was also abused by a close family friend.)

Me than 80% of child sexual abuse victims will never report the abuse to anyone, most especially law enforcement.

Often, Statute of Limitation laws prevent many victims from charging their perpetrators criminally and/or civilly. It couldn't be more important for the sake of today's children, and the future of children than to demand from our elected leaders to change the current state of the law.

I've been dealing with my past history of sexual abuse since just after the Boston catholic abuse scandal broke in 2002. I have been in therapy for almost 9 years. I have done hypnosis and EMDR, with some success. The best decision I ever made was to choose to live.

If it wasn't for my wife, my children, and Johnny Cash I might not be alive.

I guess I wrote more than what was asked, but my fingers just wouldn't stop. Take care!

JLM

#402845 - 07/07/12 04:16 PM Re: Where the hell does 1 in 6 come from? [Re: whome]
Steve0123 Offline

What helped me even allow myself to think about my own abuse was researching some famous/ succesful men who have dealt with this issue... if there are more out there I wish they would come forward...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.