Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (Doubter, petercorbett), 37 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63782 Topics
445409 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#401715 - 06/26/12 12:05 AM still shot flashback
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
had a flashback at breakfast this morning. one moment i'm having a blueberry muffin and cup of coffee - and the next i'm 5 years old and all i can see is the step-father's hands. it was terribly vivid. but just that one visual image - like a still photo - no movement - thank God - no action or events or other senses involved. words kept going past me (my wife talking)and i could hardly understand what they meant. i went in the other room to try and pull myself together - i wrote it out - and then our daughter called and we had to give her our attention. after a while i couldn't do it anymore - it was all just background static and i kept getting more and more uptight. and i had to leave the room and just find a quiet place to breathe and calm down. so weird - not a full memory of any event - just that visual image - and yet so very triggering. i'll post what i wrote in the poetry forum...

i didn't know flashbacks were sometimes so selective and fragmentary - or hadn't experienced them that way before. still shaky 4 hours later.
Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#401727 - 06/26/12 02:24 AM Re: still shot flashback [Re: traveler]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
When I get flashbacks. I try and center my self by takeing a visual inventory of my suroundings. I know that this may sound silly but this works . Look around where you are and Id the things that are there . it helps to bring you back to what is going in . It takes practice bet with time it will help .

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#401729 - 06/26/12 02:29 AM Re: still shot flashback [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

i'll try that next time, Michael - but hope i don't have the chance.
thanks,
lee

#401741 - 06/26/12 03:34 AM . [Re: traveler]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:52 PM)

#401907 - 06/27/12 09:22 AM Re: still shot flashback [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

so glad i had a session with my T scheduled for today after yesterday's flashback. i think the reason my reaction to it was so much worse than earlier memories - even much more graphic ones that included more "action" is that i'm more in touch with my feelings now - no longer denying or repressing. when it took me by surprise, i decided to just go with it and ride it out - like letting a wave carry you instead of trying to stand your ground and fight it. it took a while but eventually the reaction subsided. i wrote, i read, i came here, checked the forums and posted,and i kept at it most of the day. T says that if i'd done something more physically active - exercise or even a brisk walk the massive shot of adrenaline would have dissipated more quickly. OK - so now i know. but i am finding what works for me. and this time i did not shut down or try to escape.

why such a comparatively innocuous image caused such serious distress? it wouldn't have meant anything to anyone else - but it was super significant to me. it seems to be a symbol of the summation or totality of what he did - his weapon of choice - that represents everything that he did.

at first i felt like the flashback and my reaction was a giant step backwards - but T says it is actually progress. i was really hoping i was finished with this - hope i don't have to use what i've learned again. but i do feel a lot better today. sort of purged.

Lee

#401910 - 06/27/12 09:50 AM Re: still shot flashback [Re: traveler]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
The "flashbulb" flashback sounds familiar. That's what just about all of mine have been: instantaneous and repetitive, but just a few different ones. Some are tactile, some are visual. If they didn't instantly merge into the disjointed, expurgated memory I carried for 35 years, I'm not sure I'd know what they were about.

I've found it impossible to stop them, so I just work on how I think about them.

Good luck, and peace eventually!

John

#402075 - 06/28/12 05:26 PM Re: still shot flashback [Re: traveler]
Robert1000 Offline

I can remember how brutal it was when I started to allow myself to feel my feelings and remember my memories. A lot of people talk about recovered memories, but I don't know anything about that. I always knew what had happened, I just packaged it all up and put it behind a curtain in the corner of my mind with no name. It was bizarre how real those memories were, though, after I just about wrecked my life and finally came clean to my wife about what had happened to me, and after I started to struggle forward toward a better place. I can remember stopping at a red light and being overcome with a vivid memory.... I never knew I could have such a vivid memory! It just left me gasping for air. Other times, things would flood back into my mind. At first, I thought it was a memory of me seeing someone else get messed with, and then I realized that it was actually me. Well, I'm glad to say it gets better. I don't hate that little boy who got victimized anymore. I'm sad for him, for myself. But I don't hate him for it. That's an important thing for me to write, and to say. I don't hate him for it. I hope you find a way toward peace. I like the idea of grounding yourself in the here-and-now. That's smart and practical advice. Good luck. All I know is to keep going to therapy. Keep pushing for the truth. For me, I need to get rid of the "narrative," because for me the "story" gets fake way too fast and instead of finding the roots of emotions, I quickly build another veneer to hide the real stuff. I guess I have a hard time pinning real emotion to real events. Anyway, I think I've begun to ramble. Thanks for sharing your memory of the flashback. Good luck, brother.

#402110 - 06/28/12 11:44 PM Re: still shot flashback [Re: traveler]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Peace,Rainbows & Healing

Edited by lapchinj (03/17/13 06:34 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.