Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
3 registered (sentry, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63111 Topics
441344 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#403634 - 07/14/12 05:16 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
"Desperado" was another good Eagles song for us.( at least me)

#403638 - 07/14/12 05:40 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
Plus Joe Walsh has that "24 Hours A Day" song...l saw it on video. l think the title is, "One Day At A Time"
"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#403700 - 07/15/12 03:59 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

h

#403701 - 07/15/12 04:06 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

h

#403740 - 07/15/12 11:00 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
J.Bytendorp Offline
User
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Salt Lake CIty, Utah
Sorry that it has taken me a bit to get back, I hear what you are saying and I am open to feedback. Tyr, I understand that it would be hard when you open up and try to get support and you don't get a response. I know it is hard but please trust me and give me a chance.

#404345 - 07/22/12 11:19 AM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Josh, but note does it say something when this kind of subject goes "viewed" but unreplied by other guys here for an entire week? something needs to be done to make this an Asa FOCUSED forum.

#404346 - 07/22/12 11:22 AM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
What do you mean by "focused", Tyr?

#404350 - 07/22/12 11:51 AM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

meaning a protected forum would be reallly nice. but read my PM for more.

#404354 - 07/22/12 12:24 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: J.Bytendorp]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Ah, got it. I read your PM and have replied, you summed it up well thanks.

While there are "commonalities" in abuse recovery, to include all survivors of male abuse as being "similar" is a gross over-simplification of the issues of ASA. Therapists and supporters need new concepts, new exercises and new processes to interact with the contention of adult male abuse recovery concerns. Male child abuse recovery is separated from female child abuse recovery, although they both share recovery techniques, they are not mutually connected or exclusive, each is unique in presentation, in context and in results. Nevertheless, a female sexual abuse therapist it has been witnessed may not be well equipped to correctly identify the needs and therapy for a male survivor, and so too for those who wish to provide therapy and support for adult males of sexual abuse. Each abuse survivor will react differently, few like to be labelled or categorized, so to put male adult sexual abuse recovery issues in the context of any other form of abuse recovery feels like a marginalization of the issues.

I am concerned, however, that a locked or private forum may be missed by those abused as adults coming here to find relief. Since the inception of this forum many more have joined and found this because of it's public position. Secondly, MaleSurvivor as a site has no restrictions for male survivors, any male survivor can go into any public forum, and member's can go into public and member's forums at will, and as long as the guidelines are followed, they can post or reply. Creating such a place for this topic may require substantial reorganization, and the potential missed opportunities may outweigh the benefits.

Please read my reply and perhaps we can come to some conclusions that would be beneficial,

Sam

#404384 - 07/22/12 04:11 PM Re: What do you wish other people knew about ASA [Re: Tyr]
recreated Offline

Loc: Texas
Tyr,
I am new here and I am a survivor of sexual abuse. Yours was the first thing I read that had to do with internal feelings and in your case darkness. I associated with it because about 5 yrs ago I wrote a similar in feeling post on a suicide website ash bus stop or something lie that( the site no longer exists). Mine depicted me as a ship on a dark sea with weathered paint and wet splintering wood in which the rusty broken nails were loose or missing.The site stopped abruptly so I don't have that to share and maybe that's a good thing because I hope today you feel better.
I think on some level healing doesn't begin unless I am in touch with my pain. Pain definetly has the ability to be destructive but it can also be a good motivator if I try not to stay in it alone and long.
I don't know you but then again I know something about you. For me sexual abuse was not a choice but someone told me I chose to be alone. Internally I did not receive this well but I make the effort the best I can to let that not be a reality in my life today. Sometimes when 'normal' people spend time around me regularly and they notice or I think they notice some of the effects from SA I feel the need to explain. I think the miracle for me is that it didn't seem to make any difference to them maybe because I invested the time I could to be concerned with their lives as I've shared some parts of mine.
What I wish other people knew about ASA is that it is a challenge, like others, that seeks to consume from a place so ingrained in human nature that there is not only the difficulty in resisting the fallout from it, but also in finding the desire to confront it and the will to be productive after it.

Best Wishes recreated

Edited by recreated (07/22/12 04:13 PM)
Edit Reason: decided to sign with user name instead of real name

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.