Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (Cthulhu), 21 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441422 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#401189 - 06/21/12 03:29 PM Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
During the Sandusky trial, MaleSurvivor Communications Committee Chair Thomas Hodson (who is himself a former attorney, trial judge, and is now a journalist) will be sharing with us some helpful explanations of the stages of a criminal trial. Our hope is that sharing this information here will help people better understand what is going on behind the scenes, and eliminate some of the confusion and uncertainty that will inevitably come up. Please follow our Twitter (@malesurvivorORG) and Facebook pages for more information and reactions as well.

Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations

As of 1:12 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday, June 21, the jury began its deliberation. It has been asked to decide Jerry Sandusky’s fate on 48 of the 51 original charges.

Earlier today, the judge dismissed three charges concerning Victim No. 4 because there was no direct evidence to support those charges. The judge also charged the jurors with the law that they are obligated to follow in the case and explained what they need to do to decide the cases.

Now – all the counts of the case (48) rest in the hands of the jury. Any verdict must be unanimous. All 12 must agree on “guilty” or “not guilty.” If unanimity is not reached – the judge will push the jury to keep trying until he determines that no further deliberation would be useful in resolving any splits among the jurors. If that occurs, then the judge will find a hung jury and declare a mistrial on that charge.

All deliberations will be held in secret. The only people in the jury room are the 12 jurors. They will have with them all exhibits that were admitted during the course of the trial.

Each count and each charge must be examined and determined. In short, the jury is expected to make 48 separate decisions. If all of the counts of the charge are resolved, then the jury will reach 48 separate verdicts.

To facilitate the process, the jury will select a foreperson to lead the discussions and to make sure the process is orderly and that everyone’s opinion is heard. Usually, the jury will determine what facts it finds in the case – what is agreed upon by all jurors – related to each charge. Then the jury will apply the law – as given by the judge – to the facts to arrive at a verdict “beyond a reasonable doubt.”

This can be a daunting task and often juries take a great deal of time in their deliberations. The jury is under no time limit to arrive at the verdicts.

If jurors have questions during the deliberations, those questions are put in writing and submitted to the judge. The judge may either answer in writing or bring the jury back into the courtroom to answer the question orally in front of all the attorneys and the defendant.

If the deliberation takes overnight, then the jury will be sequestered – that means the jurors will be kept separate from their families and their homes. They will stay at a hotel and be guarded by sheriff deputies or police officers. This jury has been told that if the verdicts are not reached by the close of business on Friday, they will continue to be sequestered and continue their deliberation into the weekend.

If the jury arrives at a verdict on a particular charge, then the foreperson fills out the appropriate verdict form and indicates guilty or not guilty on the form. Then each juror signs the form to acknowledge agreement with the verdict.
Again, in this case, since there are 48 separate counts (separate charges), the jury will make 48 separate decisions.

Don’t be surprised if this deliberation takes quite a bit of time. It is an arduous task to examine 48 different incidents of alleged criminal behavior. Also, don’t expect a certain outcome by looking at how long a jury deliberates. Some juries move quicker than others and some are slow and methodical.

A key to the timing of the verdicts is whether there is essentially unanimity among the jurors on whatever verdict is chosen. Time is usually extended by the extent of disagreement. Also, please remember, that the defense not only was going for unanimous “not guilty” verdicts but also for dissention and for some jurors to “hold out” and claim the state did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. If there are hold-outs, then the process takes longer.
Patience is the key and speculation is fruitless at this time.

The fates of Sandusky and the witnesses against him are now in the hands of these 12 individuals.

#401199 - 06/21/12 04:59 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

The Patriot News just reported that Sandusky's adopted son Matt just came forward this week and told prosecutors that Sandusky abused him...It was after the state had rested...But, the prosecutors used it as leverage to keep Sandusky from testifying...If he had, then prosecutors would have used this information on rebuttal...

#401200 - 06/21/12 05:04 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I feel for Matt. The tumult we all know. I think the jury has plenty of evidence to convict unless they simply don't want to. That is my concern after reading the list of jurors. This is an impartial panel? Are you kidding me? So many of these jurors are under the thumb of Penn State. I just hope they were being honest with themselves and the judge when they said they wouldn't be biased.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#401203 - 06/21/12 05:23 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Some reporters are claiming that attorneys are meeting with judge...That is, however, not confirmed...We need to remain calm and monitor this situation. We need to keep focus on the victims (survivors)...looks like we can add Matt to those ranks...

#401204 - 06/21/12 05:28 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Here is the latest link to StateCollege.com

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-n...abused-1073062/

#401205 - 06/21/12 05:53 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Jury is taking a dinner break from 6-7 and then will resume deliberations...Take a breath everyone...

#401229 - 06/21/12 09:18 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Jury has asked to relisten to McQueary's testimony. That will take two hours and take place tomorrow morning...Deliberations will continue tomorrow. Meanwhile, the jury will be sequestered...

#401305 - 06/22/12 03:42 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

At 2:45 on Friday, the jury (as noted above) asked the judge a question about hearsay evidence and circumstantial evidence...The judge brought the jurors back into the courtroom and re-read his instructions...The jury is back deliberating...

#401311 - 06/22/12 05:40 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Jury Deliberations [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

At 5:40 pm on Friday, it is being reported that the jury is ordering dinner and continuing its deliberations.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.