Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447690 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#400869 - 06/19/12 12:02 PM Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify?
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
During the Sandusky trial, MaleSurvivor Communications Committee Chair Thomas Hodson (who is himself a former attorney, trial judge, and is now a journalist) will be sharing with us some helpful explanations of the stages of a criminal trial. Our hope is that sharing this information here will help people better understand what is going on behind the scenes, and eliminate some of the confusion and uncertainty that will inevitably come up. Please follow our Twitter (@malesurvivorORG) and Facebook pages for more information and reactions as well.

Sandusky Trial – Will Defendant Testify?

It is clear from the defense, to date, that the Sandusky defense team is running on two parallel tracks: character witnesses to say Sandusky is a great guy and attacking the credibility and motivation of the state’s witnesses. But, the real question remains: Will the defendant testify on his own behalf?

That question is at the heart of almost every high visibility case and this one is no exception. Jurors, journalists, and court spectators want to know whether the focal point of this trial will go under oath and answer questions about his behavior – and subject himself to cross-examination by the state.

Please remember that legally, the defendant is NOT required to take the stand in his own defense. And, if he does not, the judge will instruct the jury it may not consider that fact for any reason. There can be NO inference drawn from that scenario – one way or the other.

However, if the defendant does take the stand, then the jurors may consider his testimony like any other witness and assign what credibility to it as each juror may see fit. The defendant would use this opportunity to explain away the testimony of the state’s witnesses and the prosecution would use its cross examination to discredit the defendant even further – diluting the overall defense.

This is a huge decision for the defense attorneys. Some say the defendant’s silence would underscore his guilt in the court of public opinion. However, others would argue that his testimony would allow him to be cannon fodder for adept prosecutorial cross-examination – a chance to do as much or more damage as the Bob Costas, NBC interview.

Most defense attorneys will leave the ultimate decision up to the defendant but advise the defendant of the pluses and minuses of each strategy.

Some attorneys also feel very strongly about one or the other position and if the client refuses to follow that position – then the attorney may inform the judge (outside the presence of the jury) that he/she would feel that he/she could no longer go forward representing the defendant.

The judge must then decide whether counsel would remain or new counsel would be allowed. If forced to go forward, then the defense might ask for a mistrial or use that as a basis for possible appeal. It could be a portion of the overall defense strategy.

This, most assuredly, is one of the most critical decisions in the trial for any defense team. Some would argue it is the ultimate strategic decision in the trial and all others pale by comparison. Some court observers believe that it is imperative that the jury hear, first-hand, the defendant’s denials before it can find him “not guilty.”

Others would argue that the defendant, particularly in this case, is such a potentially loose-cannon that it would be reckless to put him on the stand where he may perhaps say something to embellish the state’s case.

I believe that since Sandusky has spent his life around football, being a coach, and competition, it would be difficult for him to resist getting into the battle himself and speak on his own defense. Trials, in a sense, are the ultimate competition and it may be difficult, if not impossible, for Sandusky to watch the competition being played out while he remains on the bench – so to speak.

Whatever the decision, it is guaranteed to be one of the most dramatic of the trial and be open to second-guessing by every court observer and pundit.

Edited by Chris Anderson (06/19/12 12:06 PM)

#400871 - 06/19/12 12:33 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Another critical defense decision will be whether to have Sandusky's wife testify. A wife cannot be forced to testify against a husband but that privilege can be waived if the defense calls her as a witness.

#400872 - 06/19/12 12:34 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
pluckmemory Offline

There's not a chance in hell Sandusky will testify. Or his wife.

#400878 - 06/19/12 12:54 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

The defense might have the wife refute dates, times, places testified to by victims -- and then also add another character reference for Sandusky...She might be an alternative to him testifying about dates, times, places, etc...Just a thought...

#400894 - 06/19/12 03:26 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: pluckmemory]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
"Jerry" can only do himself more harm by talking. Remember how he came across in those televised interviews last fall? Besides, if he's on the stand, the prosecutor can ask him about stuff like why he told one boy's mother, "I know I'll never get it [forgiveness] from you. I wish I was dead."

And did Jerry know what was in that Secret File kept by the PSU administrators? Reminds me of Watergate, 40 years ago.

John

#400895 - 06/19/12 03:30 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Dottie Sandusky has just taken the stand...She follows the psychologist that says Sandusky has histrionic disorder -- testimony given primarily to explain away the "creepy letters." We still do not know whether these witnesses are foreshadowing for Sandusky himself to testify or whether they are in lieu of his testimony.

#400897 - 06/19/12 04:07 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

The defense strategy with the psychologist may be two-fold...to explain the "creepy letters" AND as a precursor to Sandusky's testimony. If Sandusky does testify and if he is rattled or demonstrates any of the tendencies testified to by the psychologist or tendencies shown in the Costas interview, then the defense will use the disorder to try to explain away that behavior. Just my analysis of a possible argument to be made by the defense.

#400986 - 06/20/12 05:36 AM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
A good lawyer won't let him. An idiot like Amendola might.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#401034 - 06/20/12 11:46 AM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
pluckmemory Offline

ESPN and ABC are reporting that Sandusky will NOT TESTIFY.

#401040 - 06/20/12 12:57 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Will Defendant Testify? [Re: Chris Anderson]
tshodson Offline

Sandusky did not testify upon advice of his legal team. Trial in recess. Closing arguments tomorrow at 9...I will be writing a piece about closing arguments soon.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.