Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
4 registered (Aptrick, Going forward, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63396 Topics
443251 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#401374 - 06/23/12 01:27 AM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
TimHorton Offline

Edited by TimHorton (06/26/12 10:06 AM)

#401376 - 06/23/12 01:34 AM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
TheTwoOfUs Offline

Loc: USA
Hello.

He's scared. And he's triggered. That's what this sounds like. Something triggered him, and he's not yet quite ready to deal with the root of the problems, so he's looking for a way out, ANY way out that he feels can justify him leaving, to avoid dealing with it.

Coming at this from the perspective of an ASA survivor - he isn't ready to deal with the issue yet, but his mind is not letting him retreat from it anymore. So in the lack of working internal retreat mechanisms, he is now reaching for external retreat mechanisms.

That is what this sounds like. I have done the same in the past. Be patient with him, I think, but don't be a doormat, either. You definitely need to keep yourself in one piece and keep your boundaries intact. You can't help him if you aren't taking care of yourself.

Edited by TheTwoOfUs (06/23/12 01:35 AM)

Adapt. Overcome. Survive.

#401380 - 06/23/12 01:47 AM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TheTwoOfUs]
TimHorton Offline

Edited by TimHorton (06/26/12 10:07 AM)

#401447 - 06/23/12 02:54 PM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
mmfan Offline

Sorry to hear things have gone this direction TimHorton. It does sound like he's been triggered by this physical altercation. What clues me in that this is a trigger, is that his reaction is out of proportion to the actual event. This is something I have learned the hard way, when I am being made to feel like I murdered someone.

His behavior must really hurt you, but try to remember he is not being cruel on purpose, he is trying to protect himself from what his mind feels is a threat on his life. He may literally feel as if a knife was pulled on him. That might sound outrageous but it captures the magnitude of what a trigger can feel like. This is NOT YOUR FAULT, you didn't put those triggers there in the first place. You accidentally activated one.

Its important to own our behavior and take responsibility for how we contributed to the situation, but we shouldn't own more than what's truly ours. It sounds like you are owning that you did this. You did not mean to and yet it happened. No more and no less. You feel regret and have apologized and are committed to it not happening again. Frankly that is all he can expect from an imperfect human being much like himself. The rest is up to him, and his triggers.
Don't feel guilty for crushing his soul, you haven't and he will recover as his trigger subsides.

That said, sometimes triggers are so strong that the survivor takes drastic and lasting measures to "protect" themselves, like severing a relationship. frown I've seen men post here, who severed relationships in the past, only to regret it years later. I truly hope he can get a handle on his triggers quickly enough to see what he's doing. If not, it means he has a lot of healing to do.

#401469 - 06/23/12 07:53 PM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
TimHorton Offline

#401484 - 06/23/12 11:31 PM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
mmfan Offline

My advice is yes, perhaps better to stop apologizing/crying, because right now it's all he can do to cope with his own triggers, and trying to handle your emotions as well, could feel overwhelming to him.

I know how it feels to walk on eggshells like that, my survivor is the same, triggered so much of the time that literally if I am not perfect it sets off a chain reaction. It's exhausting.

#401487 - 06/23/12 11:46 PM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
TimHorton Offline

#401507 - 06/24/12 08:43 AM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: Pie]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Pie

My second thought process was using the co dependent principles and actually detaching from him. Showing him that he is not the be all and end all of your existence. Often when you step away from an abusive situation and show some strength, the other party draws closer. My husband enjoyed manipulating me and making sure I was dependent on him for everything. Even attention, although it was negative and hurtful it was the only attention I received. When the children and I pulled away from him completely he was in total shock. He has realised that we don't NEED him, we WANT him.

Don't blame yourself, peace will come.
Pie

I believe Pie has it right. Detach. Quit hanging all over him, and telling him you're sorry. Let him engage in the masculine role of coming after you. It will take a while, but if you aren't hanging all over him and apologizing constantly, and instead detached, eventually, he'll come to you. That's how men work. As Dr. Gray says in his Venus and Mars book, let him stay in his cave a while, and let him decide when he wants to come out. Going in the cave, all you're going to find is a BEAR!

Best wishes,
D.

#401531 - 06/24/12 11:14 AM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
TimHorton Offline

#401543 - 06/24/12 12:46 PM Re: Should I give him this letter? [Re: TimHorton]
Sailor John Offline

Loc: Newfoundland & Labrador
Hi Tim Horton,

When we have been sexually abused, things that didn't bother us in the least can be now be something that triggers. An example-one of my nieces wanted to give me a hug, I just snapped when she stepped inside "my territory." After it happened, I couldn't believe what had happened.

Many of us have kept the abuse hidden for years if not decades. Over this time, even though we kept the abuse hidden, something will sometimes trigger us. It could be a smell, somebody that reminds us of an abuser, even a TV show which was my case.

He is fighting all these demons from years ago. As a result, he is trying to fight his way through the abuse as well as dealing with domestic matters.

Unfortunatly, healing is a long and bumpy road with lots of detours. Just remember that all detours will eventually lead back onto the main road even though not as fast as we want. The detours will get shorter and shorter as he gets further into his treatment.

It will get better and better over time. Just look for little advances and the little will get bigger and bigger. If he doesn't have a councellor, I would strongly recommend he get one as soon as possible.

As well, there are several good books available such as "Victims No Longer" by Mike Lew and "Abused Boys" by Mic Hunter as well as books for the partners of abused children.

Edited by Sailor John (06/24/12 12:47 PM)

WE ARE NOT VICTIMS. WE ARE THE SURVIVORS!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.