Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (MG5555, traveler, don64, 1 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64203 Topics
448040 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#402475 - 07/03/12 01:06 PM Re: Gay Men Connecting [Re: 1lifenow]
peculiarstar Offline

Loc: Stuart, Florida USA
My post was about personal observations. They are mine, not yours, and there's no reason to defend your sexual preference if you are comfortable with it.

It is not my opinion that male homosexuals are weak. I know ex-Marines that are homosexuals. I was merely paraphrasing my memory of the study. I've spent a lot of time and energy studying why I'm attracted to both genders. The study is one of a plethora of social-scientific investigations on the origins of homosexuality. I brought it up in the context of the original post.

#402482 - 07/03/12 02:14 PM Re: Gay Men Connecting [Re: 1lifenow]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
No defense of anything from me here. Just found it odd a therapist would use that. That is the only thing you wrote I was referring to at the time.

Daryl

#405940 - 08/05/12 09:42 PM Re: Gay Men Connecting [Re: 1lifenow]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
My 2 on this interesting discussion. Same age as you, 1life...and similar observations. What do you think of this:

A lot of the characteristics you describe are quite similar to those of teenagers who, by definition, haven't fully developed social skills. If I can add another, the obsession with physical appearance.

My take is that, often having been forced to hide, even from parents who might have helped their social development, and having few positive, supportive role models - which is finally changing, thankgawd - many younger (some older) gay men enter the gay world without the skills their straight brothers developed naturally in every day contacts. So, the adolescent behavior you describe isn't surprising.

Nor is it surprising therefore that dealing with our brothers - even at our advanced age - is often more like dealing with a bunch of high schoolers, rife with insecurities and defense mechanisms.

Now let's add the influences of drugs and alcohol. Hell, you've been in a bar where there's a drunk or two or three who engage in vicious, catty attacks for amusement, constantly trying to top each other for the "cleverest" rejoinder. Anyone in earshot is a target.

It's like Hell's Romper Room.

Well, I can avoid those situations, walk away, or simply be the adult in the room.

So, too, you might consider that a lifetime of "straight" socialization will naturally color your perceptions. Gay culture is...well, gay! I have gay friends who live in areas not nearly as queer as where I live. They can't deal with it being "so gay" here...but these are guys who were in straight relationships at one time, too. For me, I fucking revel in the freedom to live somewhere I can be completely myself anytime, anywhere instead of being "straight acting" for someone else's prejudices. If that includes camping in the produce section - no, not with tents, shame on your gay self - terrific.

Lest I sound TOO serious, our particular brand of humor is really, REALLY good:

A gay couple in church is watching the Catholic processional, elegant flowing robes, incense on the chain, etc. One says to the other, "Shouldn't someone tell her that her purse is on fire?"

#405942 - 08/05/12 10:04 PM Re: Gay Men Connecting [Re: 1lifenow]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Another thot:

Depending on your location, lots of healthier non-bar activities. Belonged to a local gay athletic group for years (aerobics, running, baseball, bowling, etc.). And gay networking groups. Great fun and friendships.

The clubs/music were fun when I was a "kid"...we're talking Donna Summer. Not a kid any more. Hell, no, of course you don't like the kids' music. Go somewhere else! Have a realtor friend our age who tries to act and dress like a 20-something...doesn't have the body for it and looks ridiculous. And if you're going to color your hair, at least do it tastefully, like ME! ;-)

The "kids" are amusing to watch sometimes, but the turn-off is that they're kids, unresolved baggage and all (see Pattinson/Stewart mess). Put another way, I find myself thinking, "yes, you're pretty and...?" Last thing I want to be is "Daddy". I've got my own problems ;-)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.