Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
1 registered (WriterKeith), 49 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441314 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#399704 - 06/07/12 09:59 PM * [Re: LN3(SS)]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 04:42 PM)

#400227 - 06/12/12 11:54 AM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Keep in mind that this is just for trial and it is the typical fare. Courts must keep track of the names of all the parties involved in a trial, which means making everyone's name part of the court record. Children usually have their names stricken from public record (many courts use their initials), but their names are still in the official legal documents. This is basic procedure.

When it comes to the names being reported, that it is a different matter. The court can restrict the media from publishing some information, but free speech trumps most of that. In other words, the media can publish the names whoever they want unless there is a court order preventing that. But so far no media outlet I know of published anyone's name, which is the usual courtesy.
Every day I die again, and again I’m reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you can’t defeat/Neither down nor out/There’s nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#400233 - 06/12/12 01:39 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: Chris Anderson]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
It's more productive to oppose victim blaming and attacks than testify anonymously. Their identities leak out, the one boy already had to leave high school, it's not possible to hide and not helpful in lots of ways. Come forward, be believed, get help.

Originally Posted By: Chris Anderson
... do all we can to support them.

What do you suggest? How can we do that?

I see no organization showing leadership in making that happen.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#400302 - 06/13/12 01:14 AM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: LandOfShadow]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Our society falls into place to support certain causes. For instance, protection of animals. Cruelty to animals. (I'M NOT CRITICISING THIS, I'm just using it as an example}. Actually the animal protection people were the first ones to come out against child abuse. So where are the folks who could lend support to the kid who has been very heroic?

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (06/13/12 01:15 AM)

#400359 - 06/13/12 05:55 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: LandOfShadow]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: LandOfShadow
It's more productive to oppose victim blaming and attacks than testify anonymously. Their identities leak out, the one boy already had to leave high school, it's not possible to hide and not helpful in lots of ways. Come forward, be believed, get help.

Originally Posted By: Chris Anderson
... do all we can to support them.

What do you suggest? How can we do that?

I see no organization showing leadership in making that happen.

Voices4Victims is a great group formed by a PSU student that is getting letters directly into the hands of the survivors who are testifying and those who are not, but who have retained counsel.

You can also show your support by putting the message out there in any way you want that these guys, and every survivors who has testified in court before or will do so in the future, is doing a great thing under extraordinary pressure and deserves our support.

I've also posted some suggestions in the new sticky I wrote today with suggestions for those who are feeling triggered by the trial coverage.

Lastly, if anyone knows any wealthy philanthropists who want to cover the cost of attending a WoR, I'm always happy to make that phone call wink

Edited by Chris Anderson (06/13/12 06:15 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.