Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
5 registered (ethereo222, Shockwave, Cthulhu, aniceguy, fhorns), 25 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63211 Topics
442001 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#400221 - 06/12/12 10:03 AM Is there a 12 step Program
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
HI Guys

As you know, we are staring MatrixMen in August. There is a little confusion on my side. I am looking for the best 12 step program for survivors. I have looked at the ASCA 21 step program, but that seems to be really long.

So if any of you have any recommendations, I would be grateful.

Its kinda rough getting resources here in Sunny (really cold) Africa, so all help would really be appreciated.

Heal well
Martin

#400250 - 06/12/12 05:11 PM Re: Is there a 12 step Program [Re: whome]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
ASCA is the only one I'm familiar with that deals directly with childhood abuse. Though, I didn't like it in our local chapter. The participants seemed to be hell bent on staying in misery and not working towards recovery.

OH - ACA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) is another 12 step. While it deals with alcoholism, there is MUCH, MUCH discussion of childhood abuse issues. Step work involves parent behaviors and attitudes and how they affected us growing up as well.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#400338 - 06/13/12 12:19 PM Re: Is there a 12 step Program [Re: whome]
JoeUniverseHP Offline

Survivors of Incest Anonymous

Taken from googling:

"Survivors of Incest Anonymous is an unbelievable organization that many members say saved their lives. It's a 12-step organization, like AA, but it's for survivors of child sexual abuse (abuse doesn't have to be by a family member). We share with each other, end our isolation by making the most amazing friends, and are guided towards healing. To find your local in-person group or information about phone groups, see http://www.siawso.org."

Actually, I thought it was for incested people only, but upon reading this blurb, I may actually attend. Cool!!!

Look what happens, when I am of service to you, I actually help myself in the process.

That's cool!!

Edit: yeah on the website they say "we define incest very broadly"

Edit #2: From the website:
There is no typical SIA member profile; members are of all racial, ethnic, religious and political backgrounds, with varying marital statuses, sexual orientations, and degrees of ability/disability. The abusers in their lives may be any family member, family friends, clergy, another child or teenager, or anyone who betrayed the child victimís innocence and trust. We define incest very broadly. Many of those who attend SIA meetings share their struggles and find hope and healing with self-confidence, self-esteem, explosive anger, depression, addictions and compulsions, perfectionism, isolation, thoughts of suicide, and troubled relationships with family, spouses/partners, and authority figures.

I'll go this saturday and check it out.

Edited by JoeUniverseHP (06/13/12 12:32 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.