Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, Mr. Malaise, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63213 Topics
442017 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399353 - 06/04/12 11:58 AM Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Judge ruled the law states they must use their real names in court and not aliases. Just broke on the news. I don't like it but understand it.

Edited by phoenix321 (06/04/12 11:59 AM)

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#399354 - 06/04/12 12:02 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hopefully there is support in place for all the victims--it will be hard on them. As many of us know, there are hurtful people out there who do not want to accept the reality of CSA and the effects it has on a child throughout their life. I do hope they close off the room when the victims are testifying from the media and cameras. With all they have suffered, they deserve some dignity to be extended their way--

Edited by KMCINVA (06/04/12 01:14 PM)

#399364 - 06/04/12 01:12 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

I came here to post this same article. Heartsick and furious!

#399371 - 06/04/12 03:47 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

#399374 - 06/04/12 03:56 PM * [Re: phoenix321]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 04:41 PM)

#399386 - 06/04/12 06:09 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I'm glad the judge ruled this way.

NO case should be considered "unique." The Constitution should apply equally to ALL criminal cases. The Constitution gives an accused the unfettered right to confront the witnesses against him.

Military survivors are forced to use their real names on the few rare cases that make it to court martial. Adult survivors are forced to use their real names as well. CSA survivors should be no different.

I am all for perpetrators being held accountable through the judicial process. However, perpetrators have the right of due process which includes the right to confront the true person that is accusing them, not some pseudonym.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#399389 - 06/04/12 07:07 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's hard enough to come forward. Why make it more difficult. In theory, I get your point Brian but not in practice. Particularly formaples abused by other males, protection of identity is probably paramount to getting victims to come forward. Now what I really hope is that no one backs out and that the country responds with outrage for the pedophile and pride and compassion for the victims (no longer). And I think the judge is a dumb ass.

Edited by GoodHope (06/04/12 07:08 PM)
Edit Reason: Typos from this dern phone!

#399390 - 06/04/12 07:11 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

My problem is, some of these people are still minors. I believe the minors should DEFINITELY be protected.

The one fellow who was still in high school as all this was breaking was literally harassed and bullied into leaving school because the school and administrators didn't bother to do enough to stop it.

I understand the judicial process and due process, but for those who are still minors, they should be protected. Who knows what child molesting bastards are watching just to get off on those who are still minors.

#399393 - 06/04/12 07:59 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
If minors are able to be exempted from the Confrontation Clause of the Constitution, then what about all the other victims of crime? No exceptions should be created for one class of survivor that is not equally applicable to all survivors.

As soon as we begin differentiating theory from practice, we get into trouble. We then become able to justify departures from normal by saying "Oh well, it doesn't REALLY work." The rule of law has to apply equally to all.

No matter what Sandusky is accused of, he still has rights. He is presumed innocent until found guilty by a jury of his peers. He has the right to confront his accusers, no matter what their age.

I also hope none of the accusers backs out. They deserve to have their truth heard. I can't help but think how powerful an experience like that could be to someone in their healing. Being able to reclaim the power that was taken must be an incredibly moving thing.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#399413 - 06/04/12 10:34 PM Re: Sandusky Trial: Victims can't use Aliases [Re: phoenix321]
ShortedDiode Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON Canada
I'm sure the victims feel conflicted about testifying under their real names. On one hand it throws everything out in the open and leaves them fully exposed if they do and as KMCINVA mentioned, there are people out there that don't believe in the reality of CSA. The concerns about the difficulty in coming forward are completely valid too. I know, I never came forward when the police asked other victims to come forward after one of my perps was caught because I was afraid to. At the same time there's no shame in the victims standing up and saying this who I am, this is what happened, and I survived it.

Unfortunately, there is another problem that's unique to the Penn State victims though: There are probably a lot of people out there who blame them for Paterno being fired. Like it or not, that's an ugly piece of fallout that wasn't their fault and was totally out of their hands but made a lot of people very angry that's going to follow the victims around for a very long time, probably for the rest of their lives. I'm sure there's some risk to them there.

I hope the victims are receiving all the support they need because with the trial and possibly appeals afterward, it's going to be an ugly rough time before it's over with and they can begin working on recovery in earnest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.