Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
2 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, midnight51), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445337 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#399194 - 06/02/12 09:51 AM Penn State Sandusky trial
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
The Sandusky trial will likely be starting this week. Survivors have the opportunity to help educate the public about such matters as to why victims frequently don't say anything after the abuse and help counter false perceptions that the public may hold.

You can write a letter to your local newspaper to help clarify the reality of the situation. A few samples can be found here:
http://www.atsa.com/Letters-to-the-Editor

Although one of the letters is more for professionals working in the sexual abuse field, you can use the others for ideas on how to bring perhaps your personal story. Often newspapers will allow anonymous letters if the person has a good reason not to be identified, such as being the victim of a crime.

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (06/02/12 09:56 AM)

#399199 - 06/02/12 11:36 AM Re: Penn State Sandusky trial [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Can we send notes of encouragement to the victims? I know the names aren't released but wondered if they can still be sent somehow. Thanks.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#399252 - 06/03/12 09:44 AM Re: Penn State Sandusky trial [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I don't know but if you want to send something to encourage them without doing any "leading the witness", you might want to google the prosecutor's office and ask them to forward to some of the victims/witnesses.

Nice thoughts.

#399259 - 06/03/12 11:24 AM Re: Penn State Sandusky trial [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I think that is a great idea, but it would be encouragement to the victims to tell everything and know they have support. I will send a letter to the prosecutor's office to the victims. By chance does anyone have the address for the prosecutor. I googled but did not find.

When I realize the courage of these victims, it woke me up. I took one of your letters to get me started and I personalized it and directed it to a major newspaper--I gave my name but asked my location to be withheld. The words came from my heart as I thought of those victims, all victims and myself. I just dropped it off in the post box. It was quite difficult and I had second thoughts about mailing--I was public at Stop CSA but now it will be out there for all to read--if they publish-hesitation hit and it took me a few moments to release the letter into the box. I feel good but some apprehension is there. I know silence will not help stop the problem or help victims heal, so I need to stop being silent.

We need to stand together to raise awareness and stop the abuse and the abuse victims receive from others prior to and after going public with their abuse. We have a tendency to allow ourselves to be victims over and over--sadly those making us victims may or may not realize what they are doing but continue to do it over and over. So hopefully, the victims view point and the trials and pain of the victims' lives will be understood.

#399260 - 06/03/12 12:59 PM Re: Penn State Sandusky trial [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
**Triggers (Maybe?)***

Lots of Info including Victims (no names just overview of their testimony) and the key players in the case.

All the people in the trial except the prosecutor. The Penn AG appointed the special prosecutor in this case. Her info since no idea what the special prosecutor's office is. Kelly was a former U.S. Attorney. Quite a big shot.

AG - Linda Kelly
Special prosecutor - Joseph McGettigan

Mailing Address:
Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
16th Floor, Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120

Phone:
717-787-3391
Fax:
717-787-8242
Press Office:
717-787-5211Hotlines:
Child Predator Unit 800-385-1044
Elder Abuse Unit 866-623-2137
Consumer Protection 800-441-2555
Education & Outreach 800-525-7642
Health Care Section 877-888-4877
Do Not Call List
888-777-3406
Home Improvement Consumer
Protection Act Helplines:
Consumer Helpline 888.520.6680
Contractor Helpline 717.772.2425

THE ACCUSERS

Victim 1: The Clinton County youth, now 18, whose allegations launched the attorney general’s investigation into Sandusky. Says the former coach took him out of classes, called him frequently, and molested him several times between the ages of 11 and 14.

Victim 2: The youth at the center of the most explosive allegations against Sandusky. Then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary says he saw Sandusky raping the boy — who appeared to be about 10 — in February 2001 in the university’s football locker-room showers. Prosecutors do not know his identity. He would now be about 21.

Victim 3: A 25-year-old man who maintains Sandusky often showered with him and touched him inappropriately when he was between the ages of 12 and 14.

Victim 4: A now 28-year-old man who claimed he was molested on Penn State’s campus, at nearby hotels and on trips with the football team. He often slept in Sandusky’s home and attended football games when he was between 12 and 17 years old. Was listed as part of Sandusky’s family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl and the 1999 Alamo Bowl.

Victim 5: Now 22, claims that Sandusky showered with him when he was 12 or 13 and touched him inappropriately.

Victim 6: The now 25-year-old man, whose experience with Sandusky launched a 1998 investigation by university police. When he was 11, he claimed Sandusky touched him inappropriately in a football locker-room shower. That case was closed after investigators determined they could not prove abuse had occurred.

Victim 7: A 26-year-old man who testified that Sandusky stuck his hands down the waistband of his pants on several occasions while they were riding in the former coach’s car. The boy was between 9 and 11 at the time.

Victim 8: An approximately 11- to 13-year-old boy who was allegedly seen by a Penn State janitor receiving oral sex from Sandusky in November 2000 in the football locker-room showers. Prosecutors do not know his identity. He would now be between 23 and 25.

Victim 9: Currently 18, he testified that Sandusky forced him to perform oral sex and penetrated him on several occasions during sleepovers in the coach’s basement. He was 12 to 15 years old at the time. Contacted authorities after Sandusky’s initial arrest.

Victim 10: A 25-year-old man who says Sandusky engaged in oral sex and touched him inappropriately on several occasions between the ages of 10 and 12. Contacted authorities after the coach’s initial arrest.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/penn-state-charges-sandusky-curley-schultz/the-parties-involved/

Joseph Amendola is the lead defense attorney representing Sandusky. He holds a law degree from Georgetown and a history degree from Penn State. Among the most high-profile criminal defense attorneys in Centre County, Amendola has represented clients from university football players to a former State College superintendent over the years. He has drawn some criticism for what's seen as unconventional representation of Sandusky -- including through mainstream-news-media interviews -- but Amendola has said there's a method behind his approach.

Karl Rominger is co-counsel for Sandusky. He made some interesting comments in December when giving a possible explanation as to why Sandusky would shower with young boys. Rominger told Harrisburg’s ABC27 News that people who work with troubled youth will tell you that some have to be taught basic hygiene, such as putting soap on their body.

Pics of all but the victims and the special prosecutor:
http://www.statecollege.com/news/penn-state-charges-sandusky-curley-schultz/the-parties-involved/

Edited by phoenix321 (06/03/12 01:02 PM)
Edit Reason: edit

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.