Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
3 registered (lapchinj, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64156 Topics
447658 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#399093 - 06/01/12 03:32 AM California Scheming
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
bodyguard , From the previous post on Homophobia, thank you for providing the personal insite you shared with us. The self clarity you have come to is something we can all aspire to.

Updates"
This is the apology Robert Spitzer just released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIifMxPcRnI

Dr Spitzer has asked NARTH not to use his original paper and video cuz the ex gay possibility conclusions are not in the context of the original purpose of the paper.

Spitzer asks how these EX-GAY groups continue to give weight and creedance the scientific basis their posistion based on this one study they have been citing that has now been discounted. "how do they live with themselves? " Spitzer asks.

He goes on "they are full of hatred of homosexuality, really, they dont respond ethically"
He encourages men "if they are homosexual , face up to it and become more comfortable".

Homosexuality is "not changeable any attempt to change is misguided, any attempt will likely be disappointing and harmful".

So there you have it. Even the term Exgay is a term they came up with as is the term same sex attraction, this implies that you can leave the gay behind, somehow evolve from it. That the previous gay is less than the new not-gay.

I like the idea of just accepting what you are.

What I earlier said and i stand behind it is that the EX GAY movement has no cred. California has just banned this form of moneymaking therapy cuz there is no basis for it in science and the key article they use to support their unfounded claims has been asked by its author, see above, to desist from using unfounded conclusions from his work as the basis of their tenets.

“The California legislature has taken the right step in making sure that young people are protected from these unscrupulous therapists who are really engaging in therapeutic deception that is based on junk science,” Equality California's Rebekah Orr told CNN.

http://www.care2.com/causes/ban-on-ex-gay-therapy-for-minors-passes-california-senate.html

The National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), a group which promotes the therapy, called the measure “another triumph of political activism over objective science.”

So here you have NARTH creating its own reality. It is completely unevolved.

What Spitzer says that is that you cannot say unequivically that ALL gay people can NEVER change , just that it is excedingly unlikely and no where near the success rate these Ex-Gay groups claim. Further, only a mature adult can make a choice to chose this path under their own volition. Youths , however, need to be protected from this less than scrupulous "Therapy".

As the popcorn pops some start early , most in the middle and then a few burnt stragglers. There will always be a few that know early, most in the middle and some realize their orientation later. Some likely will remain unpopped.

I would never contend that there cannot be exceptions, there clearly can. But the machinery around EX GAY and groups like NARTH et al. Its time to put those in the dust bin of history, and certainly on this site where the goal is to come to acceptance of who we are, what ever we are.

Not as the Ex Gay group would have you believe, that there is a better alternative if you only just work hard enough, cuz gay ain't the way.

No tone intended. Just honesty.

Edited by 1lifenow (10/12/12 11:34 AM)

WoR Barrie 2011

#399120 - 06/01/12 10:44 AM Re: California Scheming [Re: 1lifenow]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 06:12 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#401836 - 06/26/12 08:35 PM Re: California Scheming [Re: bodyguard8367]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
The total shaming of my personality and identity were the most incredibly damaging.

I am not gay or from the south or the unhappy member of a family full of right-wing whack-jobs but I feel you. Preach!
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#404773 - 07/25/12 03:21 PM Re: California Scheming [Re: 1lifenow]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/26/14 06:13 PM)
Edit Reason: SILENCED

#405465 - 08/01/12 02:24 AM Re: California Scheming [Re: 1lifenow]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
Everything I have seen on the EX-GAY movement is that it is bad. I believe the “Ex-Gay” movement preys on the prejudice against gays while also creating those prejudices. They help to create the problem, and money off it at the same time. I really fell for those who want to change their sexuality but their appears to be no magic pill or treatment to change that.

It’s like taking a bunch of blacks and teaching all the negative "stereo types" about blacks so he will want to become white and then handing him some makeup. Next thing you know they start wearing white makeup like Michael Jackson, but they are still black. A lot of blacks would have wanted to be white when decimation was at its’ high; you could have made yourself rich if white people believed it worked even if it was just white markup and a lot of self hate to create the desire to take the time to put on the make up every morning. Similarly “Ex-Gay” treatment provides a lot of self hate to create a reason to hide it and therapy is like makeup so you can say your better to those that knew you were black.

Somewhere I read that the Same Sex Attraction never goes away even with treatment… Some residual attraction still remains. Ex-Gay = Gay with enough gay hatred to hide who you are.

#410839 - 09/20/12 05:53 PM Re: California Scheming [Re: 1lifenow]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
It doesn't matter if I"m gay or straight.

I just need to accept myself.

D

#412901 - 10/12/12 10:24 AM Re: California Scheming [Re: 1lifenow]
Blue1966 Offline

Loc: USA
As I have told friends who have thought about doing pray the gay away - If you try it, it will shame and humiliate you and, make you the worst kind of liar, a liar to yourself.

Yes our sexuality can be fluid and, it can change, but that's individual, personal and we don't need anyone telling us what we are, we need to come to it and accept it in our own time, on our own terms.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.