Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63796 Topics
445499 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#396727 - 05/10/12 12:40 PM Pscyh Fail
stripeysocks Offline

Loc: US
I've posted off and on here since late last year, but I've been MIA for a bit due to not having internet and working over time.

Well, I have a reliable connection now and wanted to vent some frustration.

My hubby has been on psychiatric meds for the past year and a half for anxiety. He's experienced two significant breaks (one which lead to him telling me about his childhood rape and the second more recently that lead him to go in to have his meds reevaluated).

I'm so disappointed at this psychiatrist his doctor sent him to. My husband bravely and finally told someone else what happened to him and SHE DID NOTHING! Instead, she fixated on how much coffee he drinks and told him to diet/exercise. Excuse me?! My hubby's been vegetarian for 3 years and has gradually lost about 60 pounds. He walks to work and back and was not there to get advice about his diet.

She put him on a new sleep med and that's it. I can't believe what a failure this psychiatrist is. My hubby feels very ashamed and unhappy. He was acting out of character when he got home and I'm very worried about him.

I'm still gently encouraging him from time to time to go see a counselor. I just don't know.

#396730 - 05/10/12 01:10 PM Re: Pscyh Fail [Re: stripeysocks]
Jim1104 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Sounds like he needs a different psychiatrist.

#396731 - 05/10/12 01:11 PM Re: Pscyh Fail [Re: stripeysocks]
Jim1104 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, USA
And a therapist. Between the two, I vote therapist with CSA experience.3

#396748 - 05/10/12 04:24 PM Re: Pscyh Fail [Re: stripeysocks]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I go with therapist--because he/she is the one he will spend time unraveling the abuse and his emotions. The psychiatrist generally provides the meds for anxiety, sleep but mine has been understanding and truly knows about CSA and trauma. So I guess two good ones will help with the process.

#396750 - 05/10/12 04:36 PM Re: Pscyh Fail [Re: stripeysocks]
eyesforward Offline

Loc: Ontario
My partner told me that he mentioned his childhood trauma twice to psychiatrists years ago. They brushed right past it, if they paid any attention at all.

Look for a therapist. I'm considering anti-depressant medications. At a preliminary meeting with a psychiatrist, he told me that he'll work with me on medications and stress management (meditation and exercise). He asked about therapy/counselling **to refer me** to someone and said something from which I inferred that he doesn't do emotional work.

There are people who call themselves GP-pyschotherapists. If there are any near you and your husband likes him/her, that might be a good choice. (It looks as if it might be a Canadian or even an Ontario thing, I don't know.)

#396759 - 05/10/12 07:49 PM Re: Pscyh Fail [Re: stripeysocks]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Unfortunately, many if not most, therapists go with what is comfortable or within their experience level. So, if you see someone who is comfortable or experienced in OCD or depression, they will see your problems within their perspectives.

You can go with the "Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping" to interview potential therapists.

#396833 - 05/11/12 06:28 PM Re: Pscyh Fail [Re: stripeysocks]
Sailor John Offline

Loc: Newfoundland & Labrador
Get rid of whatever psychiatrist he saw. See a therapist at least trained and preferably well experienced in Male CSA. You may also want to see the section of this site about choosing a therapist.

WE ARE NOT VICTIMS. WE ARE THE SURVIVORS!!!

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.