Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (petercorbett, GT13568, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443341 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#396702 - 05/10/12 09:17 AM FB post on Gen. Amos' statement.
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Hello all,

I wanted to share with you the following statement I issued on our FB and twitter pages this morning reacting to Gen. Amos' internal memo that was reported on widely today:
(http://www.wltx.com/news/national/article/186906/142/In-Memo-Top-Marine-Blasts-Sex-Assault-Crisis)

https://www.facebook.com/MaleSurvivor:

"We salute and support General Amos for taking such a clear and powerful stance on the issue of abuse in the military.

The number of male victims of abuse in all branches of our armed services is far under-reported. We stand ready to give any support and assistance we can to all who wish to address this cancerous epidemic. In order to have the best fighting force in the world, they must also be the healthiest. Without addressing the issue of abuse, and providing more support to those who have been harmed, we will be fighting enemies both without and within."

#396734 - 05/10/12 01:45 PM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
I hope that some changes would be made in stance toward sexual abuse in military following that memo.
Thanks Chris for this!

#396738 - 05/10/12 02:31 PM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Please post this on the military section as well.

Thank you from the information

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#396739 - 05/10/12 02:35 PM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Chris

Sorry I feel stupid it is here already, thank you again for this. Even though I'm not from the USA, I feel it is a positive step in the right direction.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#396758 - 05/10/12 07:47 PM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
As a stakeholder on this topic, I say talk is cheap. Gen. Amos's White Paper is too little, too late.

It is wrong to commend Gen. Amos for talking instead of mandating action. Why aren't we pressuring him to simply abide by Article 120, UCMJ. The penalties are pretty severe if they ever make it to court martial without a pretrial agreement.

I am disappointed. I would have hoped we would have applied more pressure.

Brian
"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#396870 - 05/12/12 02:51 AM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
It is about time that the Military look inward. I do not think that any thing will change . This has been a problem in the military for years. The problem starts at the top.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#401382 - 06/23/12 01:49 AM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
TheTwoOfUs Offline

Loc: USA
Words are lead marks on paper with no real consequence off the paper unless someone turns them into actions. When we see actions taking place - then I will commend the words.

Not before.

The world is made up of good intentions and bad actions. Until the good intentions become good ACTIONS, and they put their money where their mouth is - words on a memo will change NOTHING.

Adapt. Overcome. Survive.

#403220 - 07/10/12 10:45 PM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
SaberCat Offline
New Here

Loc: Florida, US
It may not be enough, but it is continuing progress started long ago. I know that 25-30 years ago, these issues weren't even on the radar. In the marines the attitude was just starting to change. I got my stripes "pinned" on my arms and blood stripe on my legs so well I was sore for a few days. Some guys were black and blue for a week. But now theres no hazing like this. That's changed as well as female Marines. In four years I saw less than 20 WM's as they were called back then. Families were looked as though "if the Corps wanted you to have a family, it would've been issued in boot camp."

I think it's a good step forward. We have to see if there is follow through on this.

#414630 - 10/29/12 10:11 AM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
WayTooConfused Offline

Loc: Florida
Where was this guy or someone like him when I needed him 22 years ago?

#414635 - 10/29/12 11:07 AM Re: FB post on Gen. Amos' statement. [Re: Chris Anderson]
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
Gee, I am surprized by the negative responces.
I never been in the military & dont know what the White Paper is. But its national news non-the-less.
Perhaps its not enough. Yet I am pleased the military actually admitted some of the assualt are actually male on male.

"While it is (predominantly) a male-on-female crime," Amos writes, "our records indicate a number of male-on-male attacks as well. … These numbers represent only an initial glimpse of reality, as this crime is universally believed to be significantly under-reported."

seems like a good start from where I am standing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.