Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dannyboy22 (31), ScorpioBlue (45), Wife - Survivor (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63856 Topics
445881 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#396404 - 05/07/12 11:11 AM DVD Boys and men healing
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I recently purchased the DVD - Boys and Men Healing , online from Big Pictures. It took nearly three weeks to get here, I thought maybe our customs officials might have seen the cover and thought - this does not happen in South Africa. I think our country is still in the denial phase.

We watched the video at our first strategic meeting between, "whome" and "JoziSA" (Martin and myself). We have joined forces to get the Johannesburg ,South Africa orgainisation going. It is a great video, it deals with the issues professionally, it is not over dramatic, it has not been staged, deals with the issues in a calm manner. It is worth watching.

That night I showed it to my wife and she got a deeper understanding into what happened to me. I am so comfortable with the production that next week I will give it to my daughters 23 and 25 to watch.

If you have been a victim of abuse or rape, a spouse or partner of a survivor - it is a great tool for healing.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#396405 - 05/07/12 11:36 AM Re: DVD Boys and men healing [Re: JoziSA]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
I've watched that 10 minute clip many many times now.

Rees, you bring up a very good idea; Using it to communicate the horrid topic to my kids. I'll have to seriously consider that. I may not have the courage to do it until I know my expiration-date or leave it as a post-mortem instruction.

Other than my kids (at the last possible moment on earth), I can't see anyone left here to give it to. I think if I ever get flexible cash, I'll buy copies for my area Public Libraries.

Does anyone know of the copyright management? i.e.: How would I get permission to show this on Local Access Cable? (right after Wayne's World)

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#396410 - 05/07/12 12:35 PM Re: DVD Boys and men healing [Re: JoziSA]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I was just watching the trailer on line--I was crying when I heard the boy on the swing-knowing I could not tell-so I believed--but like Robbie said the message needs to get out--yes you can tell, it is not your fault. It seems like a powerful movie

#396424 - 05/07/12 02:29 PM Re: DVD Boys and men healing [Re: JoziSA]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Robbie

You can purchase a copy for personal use and they also have n option to purchase a copy for public viewing.

I debated over and over again if I should tell my kids, finally I decided to tell them when they turned 18, i told them for a number of reasons, to disempower my abusers and rapists and to show my children no matter what happens in your life you must tell some one. If one of my grandchildren thru my kids (I don't have any yet) can learn from my mistake - of not telling anyone, then I can stop them from going thru the hurt I went thru. For that to happen I had to tell my kids. It was one of the best decisions I have made. I told them not just for me, but to ensure that it will never happen to my grandchildren.

I decided how could I ask my children not to hide anything from me, if I kept secrets from them.

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.