Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (1lifenow, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443139 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#395605 - 04/30/12 11:34 AM Getting my hopes up
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Why do I always get my hopes up when I apply for a job? I always think I'm going to get it and I start planning in my head what it's going to be like and then I'm disappointed when I don't get it.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#395606 - 04/30/12 12:02 PM Re: Getting my hopes up [Re: onlyakid]
rook Offline

That's very human, and common.

go gentle on yourself.

#395609 - 04/30/12 12:18 PM Re: Getting my hopes up [Re: onlyakid]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Yes, thats very human and very common.

The trick is to stay in the NOW. It's nice to have hope but to start planning your office design before you're offered the position is an expectation. A slogan to live by "Expectations are resentments waiting to happen."

The only thing you can do is apply and shine and do your best, and keep doing it. You'll get a job eventually. It's the expectation and day dreaming that comes from it that results in devastation and anger.

I speak from personal experience here.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#395613 - 04/30/12 01:56 PM Re: Getting my hopes up [Re: onlyakid]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Why do I always get my hopes up when I apply for a job?

Because that is the only way to do it.

Quote:
I always think I'm going to get it and I start planning in my head what it's going to be like and then I'm disappointed when I don't get it.

That kind of thinking yields incredible dividends, but often not without rejections beforehand. Your attitude is correct. Keep putting yourself out there...

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#395659 - 04/30/12 11:28 PM * [Re: onlyakid]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 01:45 PM)

#395663 - 04/30/12 11:55 PM Re: Getting my hopes up [Re: Magellan]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: Magellan
Yes, thats very human and very common.

The trick is to stay in the NOW. It's nice to have hope but to start planning your office design before you're offered the position is an expectation. A slogan to live by "Expectations are resentments waiting to happen."

The only thing you can do is apply and shine and do your best, and keep doing it. You'll get a job eventually. It's the expectation and day dreaming that comes from it that results in devastation and anger.

I speak from personal experience here.

D

Bingo! As a kid, I learned to expect nothing because I was going to get nothing from my parents even caring. That hurts really bad to say. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Getting interviews is a good thing. Accept it's good practice. For two years almost, no one would talk to me because I'm over 40 so getting interviews is a great thing in this economy.

Edited by phoenix321 (05/01/12 05:09 AM)
Edit Reason: add

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.