Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63191 Topics
441852 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#395289 - 04/28/12 11:44 AM Wish I Knew THAT
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
All, This is the intro post to a BIG thread that was popular here once. It addresses the "wish-I-knew THAT back then" issue. So here's the intro and the thread-link below:

In a recent thread I raised the point that there are so many things that a young boy doesn't know - things that, if he had known them, might have enabled him to keep safe. My point was that if a boy doesn't know his options or rights, in what meaningful sense can we say he really has them? If he doesn't understand what's going on at the most basic level, how can he bear any responsibility for those actions?

I illustrated this by comparing our situation to that of someone who gets burned in a fire and then in the hospital someone asks, "Oh, why didn't you walk clear of the fire through the secret door?" If the victim didn't even know such a door existed, did he have the choice of using that door?

That comment provoked some positive comments, and that made me think, hey, let's talk about this. What "secret doors" did we have that might have saved us from abuse, but were never really available to us because we just didn't know they existed?

I think this could be important because we too often blame ourselves and feel ashamed for the abuse, asking such questions as "Why didn't I say no?", "Why didn't I tell?", "Why did I just let him do it?", and so on. When we think like this, however, we are talking about "secret doors" - things we can easily see now as mature adults or older teens, but which were unknown to us back when we were little.

Here are some of my secret doors: things I didn't have any clue about and could never have been responsible for knowing at the time I was abused. Add yours! Start out by saying "I didn't know" and then put whatever you want to finish the sentence. As the list grows we will see so clearly the huge difference between what we knew then and what we know now. We will learn how mistaken we are when we accept even the slightest responsibility for the abuse we suffered.

Our Secret Doors

1. I didn't know it was sex.
2. I didn't know someone I trusted would hurt me.
3. I didn't know I would be believed if I told.
4. I didn't know abusers are expert liars and know how to confuse kids.
5. I didn't know my body is private and belongs to me and me alone.

THE LINK

Edited by Robbie Brown (04/28/12 11:50 AM)

Still's Globs

New Video

#395331 - 04/28/12 06:57 PM Re: Wish I Knew THAT [Re: Still]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
This is awesome thread.
Wish that I new earlier about it smile
Thanks Robby!

#395352 - 04/28/12 09:46 PM Re: Wish I Knew THAT [Re: Still]
unwritten Offline

Wow - that is an incredible thread.

Wish I had asked my question about what will happen if my son doesn't confront his abuse as a simple:

What if:

#395384 - 04/28/12 11:26 PM Re: Wish I Knew THAT [Re: unwritten]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: unwritten
Wow - that is an incredible thread.

Wish I had asked my question about what will happen if my son doesn't confront his abuse as a simple:

What if:

What you asked and the way you asked it is perfect. And he may not want to read about what if he doesn't come around and face things. Could chase the topic away...with him in-tow.

Still's Globs

New Video

#395430 - 04/29/12 08:28 AM Re: Wish I Knew THAT [Re: Still]
eyesforward Offline

Loc: Ontario
wishing words in his mouth ...

I didn't know that it was okay that I didn't fight back
I didn't know that I couldn't have fought back -- he was older, bigger and stronger
I didn't know that I didn't have to deal with this ALL by myself
I didn't know that he would have been in BIG trouble had he followed through with his threat of hurting my family if I had told
I didn't know that I was *super* smart to figure out many ways to avoid him
I didn't know that I was worthy of love and kindness REGARDLESS of what happened to me
I didn't know that I was worthy of love and kindness simply because I am

[momentary self-portrait of the writer of this post >> cry ]

Edited by eyesforward (04/29/12 08:33 AM)

#395439 - 04/29/12 09:44 AM Re: Wish I Knew THAT [Re: eyesforward]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
cry

with you,

lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#395464 - 04/29/12 11:57 AM Re: Wish I Knew THAT [Re: Still]
sugarbaby Offline

Good thread Robbie!

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.