Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447957 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#395345 - 04/28/12 09:02 PM Male Rape Survivors and Victim-Blaming
James Landrith Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA, USA
My latest article is up now at The Good Men Project:

Quote:
While there is understandably a good deal of discussion surrounding how victim-blaming affects female rape survivors, many people are quick to dismiss the same when it affects male rape survivors. In some cases, well-meaning people will go so far as to co-opt the traumas of one gender to highlight a point about another gender in a very dismissive or minimizing manner. Periodically, a blogger will post a commentary that runs something to the effect of “see, when it happens to teh menz, it is always taken seriously, but never when it happens to women.” While I understand such pieces are meant to highlight the horrible nature of victim-blaming toward female rape survivors, the end result is that they have used a traumatic experience from one rape survivor to make the case that other rape survivors have it worse based solely on gender.

http://goodmenproject.com/on-rape-and-sexual-violence/male-rape-survivors-and-victim-blaming/

This article has also been linked to by uber-blogger Andrew Sullivan:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/01/when-women-rape-men.html

Edited by James Landrith (04/28/12 09:05 PM)
http://jameslandrith.com

#395535 - 04/29/12 10:27 PM Re: Male Rape Survivors and Victim-Blaming [Re: James Landrith]
jls Offline

I went to the link and read the article. The myth that I love is that we are in it for the money. Let's just say that if I could at least get all the therapy I'm paying for covered I'd be happy.

#395861 - 05/02/12 08:51 PM * [Re: James Landrith]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Y

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:41 PM)

#396345 - 05/06/12 08:34 PM . [Re: James Landrith]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 10:40 PM)

#396638 - 05/09/12 06:28 PM Re: Male Rape Survivors and Victim-Blaming [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: Smalltown80sBoy
Yep. Here's one piece that claims male survivors have it easier:

http://www.straightgoods.ca/2012/ViewArticle.cfm?Ref=287&Cookies=yes#.T4TbkfN3XVs.twitter

I kind of went ballistic when I first read it. Still pisses me off.

Quote:
In these enlightened times, few boys and men who speak out about sexual abuse are suspected of making up their story or of having encouraged the sexual contact — as still happens with girls and women.

That's bullshit. Considering how women are treated with rape, I wouldn't report it either though. 1 in 5 women are raped from 16-28 (I think those ages or 16-26). That's a total disgrace. Not sure about adult women raping adult men. Probably a lot lower for obvious reason--strength, larger size. Adult men raping adult men is probably the most common (and most believed? Not sure there).

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.