Newest Members
matthewdavid, M.L., SammyJG, Rod2112, Mark71
12886 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Camber (28), Jonathan64 (35), Peterwest (69)
Who's Online
5 registered (iaccus, Judith, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12886 Members
75 Forums
66695 Topics
466022 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Topic Options
#395345 - 04/28/12 09:02 PM Male Rape Survivors and Victim-Blaming
James Landrith Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA, USA
My latest article is up now at The Good Men Project:

While there is understandably a good deal of discussion surrounding how victim-blaming affects female rape survivors, many people are quick to dismiss the same when it affects male rape survivors. In some cases, well-meaning people will go so far as to co-opt the traumas of one gender to highlight a point about another gender in a very dismissive or minimizing manner. Periodically, a blogger will post a commentary that runs something to the effect of “see, when it happens to teh menz, it is always taken seriously, but never when it happens to women.” While I understand such pieces are meant to highlight the horrible nature of victim-blaming toward female rape survivors, the end result is that they have used a traumatic experience from one rape survivor to make the case that other rape survivors have it worse based solely on gender.

This article has also been linked to by uber-blogger Andrew Sullivan:

Edited by James Landrith (04/28/12 09:05 PM)
Member of RAINN Speakers Bureau and syndicated blogger
Good Men Project author
Vice President, Men Recovering from Military Sexual Trauma

#395535 - 04/29/12 10:27 PM Re: Male Rape Survivors and Victim-Blaming [Re: James Landrith]
jls Offline

I went to the link and read the article. The myth that I love is that we are in it for the money. Let's just say that if I could at least get all the therapy I'm paying for covered I'd be happy.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

#395861 - 05/02/12 08:51 PM * [Re: James Landrith]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:41 PM)

#396345 - 05/06/12 08:34 PM . [Re: James Landrith]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 10:40 PM)

#396638 - 05/09/12 06:28 PM Re: Male Rape Survivors and Victim-Blaming [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: Smalltown80sBoy
Yep. Here's one piece that claims male survivors have it easier:

I kind of went ballistic when I first read it. Still pisses me off.

In these enlightened times, few boys and men who speak out about sexual abuse are suspected of making up their story or of having encouraged the sexual contact — as still happens with girls and women.

That's bullshit. Considering how women are treated with rape, I wouldn't report it either though. 1 in 5 women are raped from 16-28 (I think those ages or 16-26). That's a total disgrace. Not sure about adult women raping adult men. Probably a lot lower for obvious reason--strength, larger size. Adult men raping adult men is probably the most common (and most believed? Not sure there).

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.