Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
3 registered (tbkkfile, Obi, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443010 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#394342 - 04/21/12 11:09 AM need to take a serious look
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
trigger warning.

click on link below for video message.

video link for ms

my story

my vlog

#394343 - 04/21/12 11:22 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Great job Obi smile
Lets try to support each other; all of us can help!
Completely agree whit your initiative!

Pero

xoxo

#394350 - 04/21/12 12:32 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Together we stand, divided we fall.

"Judge not, lets ye be judged."

While I haven't seen much of the judgment that you're referring to, Obi, I totally 1000% agree with what you're saying.

We are each responsible for the atmosphere that is here at MS.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#394359 - 04/21/12 02:58 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

magellan...

there has been a lot going on this board....

survivors attacking other survivors on here...

it's going on throughout this board...

threads have been taken care of by the mods, thanks to the mods for their help, but it's still going on...

why? why all the negativity towards others?

this is not why any of us came to ms in the first place...

there are MANY reasons why all of us came here to ms.. i could give a HUGE list of reasons and still not give out all the reasons why...

however.....

i can also guarantee that NONE of those reasons for any of us coming here was to be attacked by other survivors...

it's time we come together..

we DON'T have to agree with each other on everything, but we need to stand together as a united front or those who put us here in the first place, our abusers, have won...

no longer am i going to let my abuser, or anyone's abuser, win... they want to divide and conquer us.. to keep us down and quiet!

NO!!! NOT ANYMORE!!!!

we have to band together and support one another.. not tear each other down...

my story

my vlog

#394360 - 04/21/12 03:13 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, my brothers,

Whenever I respond to a new member in the introductions forum.

I say, here you will receive compassion, understanding, love & hope.

We will hear your cries. We will help in your fears & share in your tears.

That is what i personally strive to do. Just as i hope that some of my fraternal brothers will give me in return.

Wishing my fraternal brothers well, on their journey to survival.

"I will take that lost boys hand, and I will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunshine, forever into eternity." As he is me.
Pete..Irishmoose.
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#394363 - 04/21/12 03:44 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Worth reviewing, directly from the site guidelines (emphasis is mine)...

Quote:
First and foremost, adults (age 18 and up) who use the MS website must realize that this is a place that wishes to promote healing and not chaos. It is not a substitute for therapy and should not be used as a place to vent unprocessed emotions without regard to the effect doing so would have on others. It is a place where questions can be asked and stories shared for the benefit of all rather than reactions that serve to confuse, scare and rob the site of its safety. It is a place where people can take risks to explore issues that require the understanding and support of other brother survivors.

It seems pretty clear to me that indulging in arguments is neither in the interests of survivor participants nor compatible with site guidelines. We all implicitly agree to this whenever we post.

There are ways to phrase disagreements along these lines so that they become productive and enlightening discussions rather than personal attacks that serve to upset the poster and the readers. It takes some style but it can be done.

I would suggest that we never forget the often tremendous courage it takes to put ourselves and our feelings up here for all to see. In my opinion, each and every reader - before they respond - should consider that fragility and vulnerability of the person they are responding to, and if that reader cannot respond along the guidelines here, then they should either express their concerns in a PM (to the poster or to a moderator) - or not at all.

Seems simple enough to me, at least.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#394366 - 04/21/12 05:30 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Chase Eric]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii

When viewing the forums I have a choice but if l disagree with whats available do l stand up and tell everybody or tactfully influence others. Nope.
I believe malesurvivor.org has a big problem with disagreement. Why is it even here? Why would anyone offer anything not supportive?
I recently left MS not because l am so healthy it was time to go...l split because it was making me unhealthy.

"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#394367 - 04/21/12 05:54 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
This is most unfortunate.

I have seen posts posted that seemed by my discernment to be hotmeds of disagreement and strife, and have steered clear of those discussions altogether.

And whenever I saw that someone WAS being argumentative and disrespectful towards me, I just let it slide. There's no use in escalating a pointless argument. The only thing that happens is people get hurt.

I'm here to heal and to share. I'm not here to boost my ego or to argue. That is completely pointless.

I'm glad that MS is here. And equally glad that I'm using my judgment to steer clear from threads that I deem to be potentially incendiary topics. Maybe that's why I haven't seen much of the arguing or judgment.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#394387 - 04/22/12 12:53 AM * [Re: Obi]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:24 PM)

#394408 - 04/22/12 02:31 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
dragon Offline

Loc: on the river between Hades n V...
great job Obi

i am new here and don't know what is happened but you summer it up perfectly

Jayy

I want justice I want you overthrown;I want courage I want to stand alone;I want your arrogance and I want your pain;I want your everything and I want you dead--- Rev Theory: Justice

#394422 - 04/22/12 08:31 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Chase Eric]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Chase Eric
Worth reviewing, directly from the site guidelines (emphasis is mine)...

Quote:
First and foremost, adults (age 18 and up) who use the MS website must realize that this is a place that wishes to promote healing and not chaos. It is not a substitute for therapy and should not be used as a place to vent unprocessed emotions without regard to the effect doing so would have on others. It is a place where questions can be asked and stories shared for the benefit of all rather than reactions that serve to confuse, scare and rob the site of its safety. It is a place where people can take risks to explore issues that require the understanding and support of other brother survivors.

It seems pretty clear to me that indulging in arguments is neither in the interests of survivor participants nor compatible with site guidelines. We all implicitly agree to this whenever we post.

There are ways to phrase disagreements along these lines so that they become productive and enlightening discussions rather than personal attacks that serve to upset the poster and the readers. It takes some style but it can be done.

I would suggest that we never forget the often tremendous courage it takes to put ourselves and our feelings up here for all to see. In my opinion, each and every reader - before they respond - should consider that fragility and vulnerability of the person they are responding to, and if that reader cannot respond along the guidelines here, then they should either express their concerns in a PM (to the poster or to a moderator) - or not at all.

Seems simple enough to me, at least.

agreed...

but for some reason it happens regardless....

why?

since i've started this thread i've had several people tell me that they hardly come here anymore because of a lot of the hostility on here...

*shakes head*.....

that's not good...

i know that we all have our own personalities... our own way of looking at things...

i just feel that there are ways of stating our views without putting others down.... we all need to be more supportive....

my story

my vlog

#394426 - 04/22/12 09:03 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Obi, think about it. Most, if not all, are emotional cripples that come here. Some of us, like me, are at the end of our ropes. I personally was suicidal in December through a bunch of February to be completely honest. A few people on here certainly did help matters being downright assholes to me on top of it. One thing I've noticed on here, which is ridiculous, is this--if you disagree or offer a different perspective (to certain users or a hot button issue), don't even post or you'll get pounced on. I used to post a lot, now I post very little. If I had a good T, I probably wouldn't spend any time here period. In fact, go to my first few days/posts here (10/31/2011-11-1-2011), and you'll find nobody even noticed I was alive. I'm about ready to dump MS altogether for the 3rd time.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#394431 - 04/22/12 09:34 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
I put my trust in the moderators to deal with issues that come up among posters.

People come on here in all states of being - some very angry, some very scared and all ranges in between. We are not all the same, we don't all share the same experience, we don't all share the same points of view. There are republicans, democrats, independents, US residents, European residents, S. African residents (and probably other countries represented as well), old, young, in-between, gay, straight, bi, questioning, incredibly sensitive, incredibly insensitive, etc. Those are just SOME examples of differences. There are so many more and even within each man there can be those conflicts.

That makes for A LOT, A LOT of potential confusion and disagreement amongst people. I look at it this way - its surprising how little disagreement there is considering how many different men with different experiences and different backgrounds come on here to share their feelings and to get and give help.

I, myself, have learned to move away from the computer when I, me, not the other guy(s), get agitated and to move on. I've had disagreements on here and then had the opportunity to work through it and find a new way of looking at things.

Personal attacks are a separate matter. If someone is attacking personally, get a moderator. If there is disagreement and it lacks civility, get a moderator. If there is simply heated disagreement, that's okay by me. We're all grown men and will disagree.

Personally, I don't like anyone telling me how this site is supposed to be beyond what the organizers tell me. I also don't agree that this is some incredibly safe place. I think its safe but only up to a point. Its still cyberspace with a lot of room for misinterpretation and that weird sort of latent internet hostility that can arise unlike in person.

Safety is more one on one, pm'ing maybe or personal connections. I know that I'm not the same person I was since I came on here; I've mellowed, I'm not "addicted" to reading posts and I allow for newcomers to come on here as fully scared, traumatized, angry men who are seeking an outlet for their confusion and isolation and it will be messy. I accept it.

Edited by EdfromNYC (04/22/12 09:38 AM)

#394434 - 04/22/12 09:49 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

phoenix,

i have thought about it...

and as i've stated a few times now... everyone is entitled to their own opinions, views and so on.... everyone is entitled to share them as well...

but there are ways to disagree with others views without putting them down...

i quote the dalai lama:

"our prime purpose in this life is to help others. and if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them."

wise words spoken.

i've been speaking to a person on fb that flat out refuses to post here, and hasn't for a long time now, because he's tired of all the attacks that have been happening. he's seen one of his fellow survivor brothers here get ripped to shreds, in a now deleted thread, that took place in another section of this board. he couldn't believe the hostility this survivor was getting from others. thankfully, the mods got rid of that thread quickly..

but why?

i saw that thread he was referring to... this older gentleman survivor, got ripped up one side and down another for only sharing his story...

he didn't deserve that kind of treatment. he wasn't replying to anyone else... he started a thread and shared some of his story.. then got blasted for it.... he was only looking for support and to not feel so alone... instead he got shredded....

you say that there have been some people that have treated you badly on here... shouldn't have happened to you either... i don't want you to leave ms... i want you to stay and get the help and support you need and, hopefully, help in making ms a place that is safe for all.

i ask that you please stay...

my story

my vlog

#394475 - 04/22/12 04:25 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hi
I just felt I need to share something here. I know that haven't been here that long, but I have found this site to be a great place for healing and everyone has been so kind to me here. That being said I think that sometimes as I find myself somewhat freed to open and share in this place, I can find myself over extended. kinda outside my comfort zone. It is possible for me to begin to forget that anything can look like a threat. I guess as I listen and read the horrors that have taken place in so many lives that I am not alone. perhaps as we share with one another, we may look to our own fears and insecurities as triggers for these conflicts. though it has yet to happen to me,personally I know that each of us here is hear with a drive to heal. that is a HUGE challenge and I know that my brothers have strength for the task. just a thought
Jeff
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#394479 - 04/22/12 05:17 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

"I can actually come here and talk about my abuse and nobody asks me "why didn't you fight back" or "maybe you asked for it" or some other blame the victim stuff that I hear everywhere else. People don't tell me here that I should snap out of it or any of that other nonsense.

I come here because I am accepted as I am and my recovery is moving a little better and faster because of it. Today somebody sent me a text complimenting me and I actually felt that he meant it. I don't know if this is a permanent thing but I think this may be the first time someone paid me a compliment and I didn't question their sincerity."

These words hit me--you are so right--this is why we come here, to be heard and not judged. We all have suffered the unthinkable, and many outside of this forum will utter those words-why did you allow it, why don't you sue and get money, get over it, abuse does not make you want to do things, you are a liar and so on. I can hear that from others who have not experienced the brutality of the rape or the fear of speaking about what was done. Here we can speak, not to be judged because we all had our childhood robbed from us and how we coped with the act is different for each of us--we hurt ourselves, we hurt others, we were confused about who we are and the list goes on. But to speak and feel safe without judgment allows us to get the poison out and heal and be who we are meant to be--valued human beings who deserve happiness, joy and trust. I agree with Smalltown89sBoy, let's keep this place safe and free from making anyone feel unwelcome--we should listen and provide support as so many of you have done for me. I too, am forever grateful for this forum--I would not be here if it was not for this place and all the people with hearts and minds so open to help the wounded heal. I know where to find the closed minded and hearted so let us continue to support each other.

#394510 - 04/22/12 10:48 PM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Sent PM.

Edited by phoenix321 (04/22/12 10:49 PM)
Edit Reason: edit

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#394517 - 04/22/12 11:39 PM * [Re: phoenix321]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:25 PM)

#394519 - 04/22/12 11:48 PM * [Re: EdfromNYC]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:25 PM)

#394520 - 04/22/12 11:49 PM * [Re: phoenix321]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:27 PM)

#394522 - 04/22/12 11:52 PM * [Re: Obi]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:26 PM)

#394523 - 04/23/12 12:00 AM * [Re: KMCINVA]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:26 PM)

#394582 - 04/23/12 08:54 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Obi Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Smalltown80sBoy
Originally Posted By: Obi
i've been speaking to a person on fb that flat out refuses to post here, and hasn't for a long time now, because he's tired of all the attacks that have been happening. he's seen one of his fellow survivor brothers here get ripped to shreds, in a now deleted thread, that took place in another section of this board. he couldn't believe the hostility this survivor was getting from others. thankfully, the mods got rid of that thread quickly..

Oh no! frown

I'm really sorry. I hope this fb friend comes back. Male Survivor is making my nights so much more bearable. I mean it. I am crying as I type this. I can't lose any of you guys. Please let's work this out.

this is why i posted this thread.....

to hopefully wake everyone up... to stop this war that is going on amongst fellow survivors here in all of it's forms that have taken place throughout this site...

the war is not with each other!

the war is against the abusers, and the myths, that have put us all here in the first place.... we should be supporting each other in this fight, not tearing each other down....

my story

my vlog

#394587 - 04/23/12 10:02 AM Re: need to take a serious look [Re: Obi]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Obi, I admire your intention with this thread!
I see also need to somehow keep all of as aware of some sort of problematic behavior here. I've had couple of posts that could be taken as let say "problematic" and not insensitive even I didn't have any intention to make such impression... For example I wasn't at all aware that some brothers could be let say high while here, or in some very fragile state or in pain; so some words directed to them should be very delicately chosen. And I was totally unaware of such possibility at tall in first place. So I guess we have to do some additional homework about good communication here. I see also additional need to transfer such information to newcomers (I also consider my self as relatively new here) who could also be unaware of possibility that some brother could be in pain while writing and posting and that we all have to take some caution while we are here...
I hope that your friend would come back here again!
Pero

#394653 - 04/23/12 09:13 PM * [Re: peroperic2009]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:28 PM)

#394654 - 04/23/12 09:16 PM * [Re: Obi]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:28 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.