Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
4 registered (ethereo222, Jude, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63212 Topics
442012 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#393425 - 04/14/12 09:42 AM "A Gay Man Can't Be Raped"
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
This is not an isolated reaction by law enforcement. I have read of other statements like this when a man, especially if gay, reported himself to be a victim of rape.

http://www.change.org/petitions/a-gay-man-can-t-be-raped-demanding-an-apology-from-the-lapd

http://www.truthwinsout.org/blog/2012/04/23963/

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (04/14/12 09:52 AM)
Edit Reason: added another link to show some of the comments

#393428 - 04/14/12 10:00 AM Re: "A Gay Man Can't Be Raped" [Re: prisonerID]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I was very fortunate in that I was cared for with respect by both the first police officer who was called and by the investigator called in to meet with me. Even many months later talking to the lead investigator I was given nothing but kindness and respect. It was when I returned to my home state that all the whispers and blunt questions began. I had to justify why I, as a grown man, could not stop the attacks. Being gay and being out only added to the suspicions by others. But I will always be grateful to the police in the state I was living in including the state's crime victim's agency that paid for all the medical bills which were astronomical. I still have the letter from the state's attorney general on my case. It was like I had something in writing that I was telling the truth. I will always keep that letter.

Daryl

#393703 - 04/17/12 01:07 AM * [Re: prisonerID]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (04/28/13 05:17 PM)

#393786 - 04/17/12 04:25 PM Re: "A Gay Man Can't Be Raped" [Re: prisonerID]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
(((((Daryl)))))

That whole attitude really makes me angry. Straight women can be raped by men, even though they can also have fully consensual sex with men... just because a man is attracted to other men doesn't mean it is impossible for a man to be raped even if he is attracted to other men.

people are afraid of what they don't understand.

- Saint John of the Cross

#393791 - 04/17/12 04:42 PM Re: "A Gay Man Can't Be Raped" [Re: prisonerID]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

It is good to see you here. Sorry I have not been better at keeping in touch with you.

I agree that ignorance guides the reactions of others whereas understanding and compassion lead a person more in the realm of more reasonable responses.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.