Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
1 registered (tbkkfile), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443006 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#393192 - 04/12/12 01:08 PM I am Human!!
iamnotbubba Offline

Loc: Colorado
Something I am thinking about today.
When I was younger, I was taught in church and bible school that I am a spirit first and a human second. I am beginning to think that is backwards. Yes I am a triune being, but I am a human first. Learning to listen to what my body is telling me is continuing to be a hard and confusing lesson. As children we are taught to listen to our bodies when we get old enough to become toilet trained. As we get older there seems to be a disconnect and we get more focused on our intellect rather than our humanity, emotions or feelings. I think in order to become more whole, away from our brokenness and trauma. We must reconnect with the three equal parts of what makes us unique. Our bodies (humanity) Our soul (intelect) Our soul (the immortal part of us that will live on)

http://www.perpetuallyhealing.com/

#393224 - 04/12/12 06:11 PM Re: I am Human!! [Re: iamnotbubba]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
YES!

I've had the same insight recently, and it has really REALLY helped my recovery!

I am animal first and foremost. I have a body that was traumatized, and like pavlov's dogs, my body is triggered by certain stimulus. Recovery for me has meant that I not only needed to "talk" therapy, but I also needed to take steps to reconnect to my body, because it is the body that feels the emotions, to reconnect to my emotions, I need to connect to my body.

Meditation, yoga, breathing exercises all help with this. Something else that I found help was to sit in a hot sauna / steam room and slowly trickle cold water down various parts of my skin. The contrast of hot / cold was very enlivening, and very visceral.

Thanks for posting this! I personally think more people should be thinking in this way. it helps with recovery efforts tremendously.

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#393242 - 04/12/12 08:37 PM Re: I am Human!! [Re: iamnotbubba]
iamnotbubba Offline

Loc: Colorado
Oh my LAWD!!! I thought I was the only one who found the sauna/ steam room helpful. I call it my meditation chambers. I sit quietly in the hot water, controlling my breathing, I find it very quieting. (if thats a word)

iamnotbubba

http://www.perpetuallyhealing.com/

#393245 - 04/12/12 09:08 PM Re: I am Human!! [Re: iamnotbubba]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i can vividly remember separating my body from my mind/emotions at about age 12. it was during an extreme bullying incident. in my mind i saw myself going across a moat on a drawbridge, pulling up the bridge, entering a tall strong stone castle tower, slamming the heavy oak and iron door and bolting it, climbing the spiral stairs, entering the room at the top, closing and locking that door and telling myself that i would never leave that place.

i've read about the gnostic heresy and the cathars - both cultish early Christian sects that denied the physical reality of Christ and believed that the physical body was evil and only the spirit was good. i think that is a natural tendency for many of us survivors because the physical part of us was what seemed to be the source of the problems. and if you had strong religious conditioning in early years, as i did, that inclination is reinforced even more. it's really significant to me that the early church - whatever its shortcomings - at least recognized that the separation and polarization of the body and the spirit was a negative and unhealthy practice.

integration of the whole person to me means bringing the spirit, mind and emotions all into alignment with the body to become healthy and fully-functioning.

working on it - but still feel lilke the different bits are still in separate boxes...

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#393249 - 04/12/12 09:38 PM . [Re: traveler]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 11:01 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.