Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (woodenshoes, Obi, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443464 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#392176 - 04/04/12 12:38 PM Pavlov's Response!
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
A little known fact on how Pavlov discovered this:

"Pavlov became interested in studying reflexes when he saw that the dogs drooled without the proper stimulus. Although no food was in sight, their saliva still dribbled. It turned out that the dogs were reacting to lab coats. Every time the dogs were served food, the person who served the food was wearing a lab coat."
Quoted from: http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/pavlov/readmore.html

He designed the bell experiment after noting this connection.

---

I've had a TREMENDOUS discovery relating to my own body and my own recovery from CSA / trauma. All these years I thought there was something wrong with ME, my SELF, my EGO, my PSYCHOLOGY. I felt like I was fundamentally BROKEN.

After meeting with my trauma therapist for the last 6 months, I think I am now comprehending the SIMPLICITY of what I have been experiencing.

Like pavlov's dog, my own body has developed its own trigger / response mechanism. It has nothing to do with my psychology or what I'm thinking. My own body has its own system of signal / response. And just like pavlov's dogs, my body has learned to associate certain signals with certain responses.

CSA did that to my BODY.

My personal crisis and emotional turmoil has been my identifying with the thoughts and feelings and saying "There's something wrong with ME!" What a horrendous conclusion to come to, and creates all sorts of mayhem and additional trauma to work through.

There's nothing wrong with my mind or my psychology. I've matured and sought recovery and answers for my quandry - why I was suffering so much through life. I have been seeking therapy for years, have been in support groups, seeking refuge in 12 step programs, and constantly searching, searching, searching.

This is the sign of a very healthy psychology, a determined person utilizing his intellect and emotions to try and resolve the issue.

And here I am looking at who/what I am. I am an animal with self awareness and incredible creativity with a capacity to learn and adapt and change and grow and create.

It is simple (and very difficult). I am triggered (via PTSD) because my body (just like pavlov's dogs) is responding to stimuli. I have to accept that my body responds this way, and that this doesn't reflect on my value as a thoughtful, insightful, inquisitive, curious, growing, learning human being. It is just my body response.

I'm in a totally new phase of my recovery now. I inhabit an animal body which is conditioned to respond in certain ways. And I also know that there are ways to train the body to relax in these situations. And since I have a human brain at my command, I can learn and grow and adapt and change and create the solutions that work for me.

I'm not simply an animal stuck in a body without a way to uncondition myself. I'm not a dog that will be forever salivating while looking at a lab coat. Dog's are victims of this conditioning, because unless someone untrains their conditioning, they will forever salivate at the sight of a lab coat. Because I'm self aware and because I'm aware that my body responds the way it does, and because I'm intelligent enough to see this and learn new things by researching and experimenting, I can train my own body away from these conditioned responses. I'M NOT A VICTIM!!

What a stupendous realization to have!

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#392229 - 04/04/12 11:11 PM Re: Pavlov's Response! [Re: Magellan]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
This is a GREAT revelation, Magellan. very helpful.

i think that as survivors, we have been fragmented and the different parts of the "whole" person react separately. sometimes just the mind. sometimes just the emotions. sometimes just the physical body. sometimes more than one at a time. but seldom all cooperating together at the same time with the same messages.

i think one of the goals of recovery is to get all our "parts" going in the same direction on the same road at the same time and speed and heading toward the same goal...?

this understanding that you explained so well above could be a major key in that process.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#392293 - 04/05/12 12:14 PM Re: Pavlov's Response! [Re: traveler]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way! Thanks for your input on this. This just makes overwhelming sense - all the separated pieces of our experience needing to work together. My therapist said the same thing.

Thanks for your insight! I'm excited about recovery now!!

D

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#392305 - 04/05/12 01:16 PM Re: Pavlov's Response! [Re: Magellan]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Post of the year material here. Great read. Thanks for posting this.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.