Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63208 Topics
441971 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#391273 - 03/29/12 12:34 AM Starting a group
FFSC Offline

Hello,

This past summer I started confronting my abuse that happend over a 4 year period in the mid 1980's at a camp in North Carolina. I have a great support base here with friends, family, and a great shrink. I want to however start an adult men's support group and or non-profit where I live to give people the support and location to feel safe to talk about what happened to them. I just feel that so many adults do not have a place to go when they realize this in their 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond. Any thoughts or ideas on how to get this statred? Thank you.

#391275 - 03/29/12 12:51 AM Re: Starting a group [Re: FFSC]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Hi FFSC.

Many folks place an ad in the Classifieds section of the website when they plan to start support group in their area. If you are comfortable disclosing your general location, this could be an option to consider.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#391276 - 03/29/12 12:53 AM Re: Starting a group [Re: FFSC]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL

You might want to just follow the NA/AA type model for a support group for "rules" on group discussion. You also might have to look at 1. where to have it 2. how much it'll cost (buying/renting/borrowing a meeting space, handouts) 3. how often (weekly, bi-weekly) 4. Who is allowed (sometimes pedos might try to infilitrate to get their jollies off or disrupt) 5. Advertising/promotion (newspaper, news tv--if suport group they'd probably list it daily/weekly for free like the do NA/AA) 6. non-profit set-up (small biz incubator, chamber of commerce, local AA/NA might help you, or you might need a lawyer) 7. Employees/volunteers for non-profit (what if you croak? 8. whatever other impediment/issue to it that could happen.

Non-profit set-ups can be a full-time job without any money coming in on top of it. Think a business without any products. A support group would be easier but might have upfront costs to promote, meeting place cost, etc. Good luck. Great idea.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.