Newest Members
Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt
12132 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
4 registered (Jude, Shyshark, 2 invisible), 70 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12132 Members
73 Forums
62561 Topics
438347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#391460 - 03/29/12 10:53 PM Re: Compliance. DANGER AHEAD! [Re: lucylives]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: lucylives
Also, my husband is very compliant too (at least to everybody's face) behind closed doors in his secret life, he was definitely not compliant.

It is like this.....look at me, I am this great guy, I help everybody, I have no needs, I just do, do , do and try to make everybody's life better, i am selfless, I am accommodating, I give my wife and my family everything, I am never mad or upset, nothing ever bothers me, i am a doormat to everyone, ask me to jump and I will say how high....

but the truth is while he was wearing this mask he was acting out in such horrendous, disgusting ways behind everybody's back. no one would have ever known, including me.

I want to scream......IT IS OK IF YOU VOICE AN OPINION OR GET MAD ABOUT SOMETHING, WE WILL LOVE YOU ANYWAY.

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!

#391669 - 03/31/12 07:45 PM Re: Compliance. DANGER AHEAD! [Re: GoodHope]
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Hi,

Im not sure I would call that behaviour compliance. Compliance for me assumes some kind of obedience. I think its more a state of dissociation. One of the hardest things to do is to be grounded in the present moment. With your mind always wandering about or busy thinking about other thoughts, we appear constantly distracted. So I dont find we act as doormats as much as we are simply unavailable most of the time. Of course i'm talking pre Therapy here.
I found that some exercises like mindfulness (a form of meditation) allows you to be grounded and to be in the present moment. It seems like such a small detail but so important for communication. Something that will be necessary for both partners I'm sure.
I may be wrong but i get the impression from reading some posts that survivors are projects, almost as if they need to be saved from their spouses. Am I wrong here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

#391754 - 04/01/12 09:38 AM Re: Compliance. DANGER AHEAD! [Re: Anthony39]
Esposa Offline
F&F Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Survivors are projects - do you mean projects for the spouses to work on?

#391777 - 04/01/12 02:16 PM Re: Compliance. DANGER AHEAD! [Re: Esposa]
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Maybe project is too strong a word. My wife told me that during our marriage she tried to make me happy. I was not in a good place. She realized that I was the only one who could make me happy.
Her heart was in the right place but it was up to me in the end. She wanted to save me from myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

#391811 - 04/01/12 08:22 PM Re: Compliance. DANGER AHEAD! [Re: Anthony39]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
one of the complications my wife and i are facing right now is that she wants to be more involved in fixing me than she is. she is accustomed to being the strong and capable one who kept everything moving along and organized and now that role is not working so well.

I am trying to keep her in the loop by re-capping my therapy sessions and reading her my journal entries and sharing threads here in the forums. but she feels like the T and MS are dooing more for me than she is. she doesn't want to be just a spectator. but she is also haveing a difficult time processing all the new info that i have been bringing to light. it's a lot to deal with for someone who thought they had a it wireds. we also go for couple counseling but that is not easy either...

Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#391836 - 04/01/12 11:42 PM Re: Compliance. DANGER AHEAD! [Re: traveler]
Esposa Offline
F&F Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
I don't want to be involved in the "fixing" - I just need to know that there is a commitment to change. (I have my own fixing to do.) But if there is not commitment to change, I need to leave. So I watch for commitment and I watch for change - which could be easily confused with "trying to fix".

For example, I read every single word you men write and I ask tons of questions here on MS - but not so I can go tell him what to do, but so I can identify changes and acknowledge them and support them.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.