Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441759 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#391211 - 03/28/12 05:26 PM Re: shaky [Re: traveler]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
What I've heard, during years of PTSD hassles, is that prolonged elevation of stress hormones, regardless of the reason, can cause a variety of physical problems ranging from "stage fright" to diabetes, inner ear damage and thyroid disease. An emotional response to trauma or stress is just part of an overall physical response.

Me, I've had something the doctor calls "exaggerated startle response" as far back as I can remember, and it got much worse when the flashback era started. Things that would cause just about anyone to react--bumping my foot into something or otherwise being touched unexpectedly, hearing a sharp noise--can make me jump, shake, twitch, grunt... even lose consciousness for a second. Who knows, maybe my "ESR" is inherent, but what a coincidence that it's strongly associated with childhood abuse survivors. Other such coincidences include my tinnitus, balance problems, low thyroid.... From friends' reactions I gather that the startle thing is a big laugh to watch, but I think it's no joke. I don't climb ladders any more, since my balance is poor and I'm afraid I'll startle.

I've gotten these problems checked out by physicians, who have ruled out dire diseases, and I suggest you do the same with regard to your shakes. The first thing a good shrink does is rule out non-psychogenic disorders that might cause such symptoms. Meanwhile, peace!

John

#391214 - 03/28/12 05:41 PM Re: shaky [Re: unhappycamper]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Your first hunch is probably the right one, Lee, emotional. In my case, I began to get eye twitches, and individual muscle twitches in my large thigh muscle and in my thumb muscle. When I began using calming techniques, I noticed a decrease in the activity. Alternatively, I took a high stress job in December, and the twitching became more prominent. The cure was to get back to my relaxation routine, three times a day. The twitches come and go now, but with much less intensity and frequency.

May I recommend a relaxation routine, and a change in diet, and see a doctor?

Sam

#391233 - 03/28/12 08:02 PM Re: shaky [Re: SamV]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
Jim, Sam, Pero, John, S80sB, fidex, & claret -

thank you all for your concern and suggestions. I'll try to follow up and see what happens...

There are lots of stresses at work and home right now - in addition to the CSA stuff i'm working on. i used to be able to handle all the outside things just fine and didn't even acknowledge the CSA but now it's impossible to do that. i'm just not accustomed to the physical manifestations of the psycho condition being so directly affected.

an old dog trying to learn some new tricks!
Lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#391325 - 03/29/12 05:35 AM Re: shaky [Re: Jim1104]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Traveler,

It sounds like stress. Stress can be debilitating. It made me physically collapse at times. Get checked out by a doctor. Get a full physical. If nothing is wrong, it's stress. When you're running on adrenaline for decades like I have, it can do some weird shit. I know it caused my hyperthyroid. You may need a chill pill. I pop a Lortab (got lots for knee injuries) once a day because I don't have access to a psychiatrist anymore to get my Valium scripts. Yeah, one. Some have called me a druggie for it. Kinda funny I went to one NA meeting 12 years ago and they said, "You're a saint compared to us. Hell, raise your hand if you take Valium." 90% raised their hand and most had done every hard drug known to man. They said it was rare to turn down a potential member but I did not need to be there and follow my script and go home. I told people what they said and they shut up. Haha!

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.