Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (voiceless, 1 invisible), 82 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63367 Topics
443097 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#390803 - 03/26/12 10:28 AM Hockey Horror
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
Graham James the perp who ingratiated himself into the junior hockey circle to find a host of victims was just sentenced in canada.

Not the outcome so many damaged lives were hoping for.

Hockey is the world of macho men, Jim Rome describes the Playoffs as the toughest in all of sport. THis makes even the hint of anything other than hypermasculinism a subject of derision. The Sedin twins from Sweden are skilled scoring champs, one was the MVP last year. They are called by many "the sisters" why, cuz they dont fight. Its disgusting.

So in this evironment the perp brought mayhem. The fall out is tragedy and injustice:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/03/22/mb-graham-james-appeal-toews-winnipeg.html

Edited by ModTeam (03/26/12 06:18 PM)
Edit Reason: Edit to remove incidental advertisement.

WoR Barrie 2011

#390894 - 03/26/12 07:58 PM Re: Hockey Horror [Re: 1lifenow]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I agree the sentence for Graham James is a gross display of lack of justice, but how do you relate that to the NHL being full of "macho men"?

Hockey was the first sport to make a push to remove LGBT discrimination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXoTRTAw6Dc&feature=player_embedded

Almost all teams and players have foundations that donate millions each year to hundreds of foundations, including Shawn Thornton, the supposed Big Bad Bruins enforcer.

The Sedin twins are extremely talented but they are called the sisters for many more reasons then a refusal to fight, many skilled and not-as-skilled players refuse to fight as well yet are not called "girls." Fights in hockey don't just happen for no reason, almost all players refuse fights many times, even enforcers (the player that's general job is to fight).

If you want to get specific, the term, "The Sedin Sisters" actually came about because neither were/are particularly good at defending against body checks when they had the puck, and checking is very limited in women's hockey. I don't see that as vicious or bullying, they frequently call me "drunkie" at work because I'm irish-american. It's just a nickname, perhaps we differ in opinions (which is fine) but I don't find offense because everybody at works also knows I work hard just like everybody in the hockey world knows how awesome the Sedin twins are at scoring.

I'm not attacking you in any way, if you really feel the hockey culture is that bad thats fine. I just kind of take offense to you calling the hockey world disgusting. Not a single hockey announcer, sports broadcaster, or player is openly supporting Graham James, in fact I follow a hockey forum and they are just as pissed about Graham James sentencing as we all are. I grew up playing hockey, and continue to play today and it has taught me very good life skills such as standing up for myself and it has gotten me thru some really tough times in my life.

Edited by Riley (03/26/12 09:37 PM)

#390939 - 03/26/12 10:55 PM Re: Hockey Horror [Re: Riley]
jls Offline

It's pretty obvious by now that sexual predatation exists or has the potential to exist almost anywhere where adults have access to and power over children. The sporting world is but just one such venue.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.