Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, BraveFalcon, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63638 Topics
444465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#390813 - 03/26/12 11:47 AM What's with all the ads?
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
I don't care but it's a annoying on the first 3-4 posts. Flash is annoying enough. Can't it be put on the top of each page? That is how professional websites are done.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#390814 - 03/26/12 11:52 AM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: phoenix321]
Dar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
Thanks, I thought that I was the only one seeing this!

#390816 - 03/26/12 11:58 AM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Dar]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
looks like they got some sponsorship to help keep this site going... i'm willing to put up with the ads if it helps keep this site here so that we can continue to get the help and support we all need.

my story

my vlog

#390820 - 03/26/12 12:15 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Dar]
phoenix321 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dar
Thanks, I thought that I was the only one seeing this!

I thought I had a virus or something at first. Haha! I really don't care if they do it, but it doesn't look professional doing it on the first 3-4 posts when it's Flash. I see that kind of stuff on blogs that should've never been indexed by Google in the first place.

Note to Mods: You're Google AdSense needs to be in your Privacy Policy since it uses third-party tracking cookies. California has an under 18 tracking law as well. Most comply with this law. The privacy policy below is pretty sparse. Need a contact for complaints with regards to your privacy policy. If I remember correctly, Google can suspend your account (no payments for period in violation) for lack of a privacy policy that has those notices to the public. They do check randomly.

Free Generator: http://www.freeprivacypolicy.com/

Example: (just an example---Add 3rd Party Cookies)

Sample privacy policy

This privacy policy sets out how “[business name]” uses and protects any information that you give “[business name]” when you use this website.
“[business name]” is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
“[business name]” may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from [date].

What we collect
We may collect the following information:
name and job title
contact information including email address
demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers

What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
Internal record keeping.
We may use the information to improve our products and services.
We may periodically send promotional email about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail.
We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We may provide your information to our third party partners for marketing or promotional purposes.
We will never sell your information.

Security
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.

How we use cookies
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.

We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.

Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.

You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.

Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.

Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at [email address]

We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.

You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to [address].

If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.

Edited by phoenix321 (03/26/12 12:27 PM)
Edit Reason: added link

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#390821 - 03/26/12 12:17 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Obi]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
If it's a money issue, perhaps we can try to get more folks to go with paid memberships. I just noticed the ads and there's got to be a better way to fundraise.

That's why I'm a member of local PBS and NPR stations. No ads. I'm glad to join when we can have commercial-free programming.

#390822 - 03/26/12 12:18 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
phoenix321 Offline

Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
If it's a money issue, perhaps we can try to get more folks to go with paid memberships. I just noticed the ads and there's got to be a better way to fundraise.

That's why I'm a member of local PBS and NPR stations. No ads. I'm glad to join when we can have commercial-free programming.

No biggie but the privacy policy needs to disclose info like I posted above.

#390824 - 03/26/12 01:33 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: phoenix321]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
The ads are targeted and ... confusing. Sometimes relating to the OP's content. Sometimes rather triggery, unpleasant. Like:

This one: Sexual Child Abuse Charge We wrote the book on defending false molestation allegations www.FalseAbuse.com

Is this really necessary?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#390825 - 03/26/12 01:53 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: LandOfShadow]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yikes - "Serious Sex Crimes Defense" by LibertyBellLaw.com? A sunny ad for a Myrtle Beach vacation at the end of a poignant and heartfelt post, belying the very essence and emotion of it's originally intended impact?

I'm so torn, because I know this site is important and I know that sponsorship at some level is required. Does joining as a paid member remove the ads? At least I'm not seeing them in the PM's...

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#390826 - 03/26/12 02:05 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Chase Eric]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I must be missing something... where are these ads showing up? I see nothing?

#390835 - 03/26/12 03:12 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: JustScott]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Hi Everyone,

I was just made aware of this problem. I am unaware of what is causing it and will reach out to our website host to see if they can help us figure out what is going on. FWIW, I see them in some forums and some posts and not others.

Neither the board nor the Web Oversight Committee has authorized these ads to appear on the website. We are not receiving any income from these ads, and we absolutely NEVER allow the discussion forums to be used in such a manner. I will do everything I can to figure out what is at the bottom of this and work to get it fixed.

Chris
Healing D.H. Lawrence

#390840 - 03/26/12 03:25 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: tartugas]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
This may be a browser issue. I just blocked Google Adsense with Ghostery on my browser (I'm using Chrome FWIW), and it's made the ads go away.

This might explain why some users are not seeing the ads. I have asked Interworks if there is a way to block adsense entirely.

Thanks all for your patience,

Chris
Healing D.H. Lawrence

#390853 - 03/26/12 03:51 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: tartugas]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

You may well be correct, Chris. I use Firefox, and installed AdBlock Plus. After rebooting the browser (as required after installing the add-on), I added a custom filter rule (which I named it AdSense but any name will do) that invokes the following filter rule: http://*.googlesyndication.com/*.

Since doing that, the ads have disappeared. They were showing up at the bottom of random posts (in the area post signatures would be). I wonder if those who do not see the ads already have ad-busting extensions installed in their browsers - that could explain why some see them and others do not.

#390858 - 03/26/12 04:14 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: tartugas]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
This is temporary and even fluctuating with time, for example one or two hours ago it was visible more than now (it were small picture plus text and now just text). I'm also using Firefox. Now it is visible only in first part of some first threads like for example here under name Chris (so for you guys who are not able to see it):

this is taken from:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=389093&an=1#Post389093
couple minutes ago.
Pero

#390860 - 03/26/12 04:39 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

And now ad has changed and it is about Asian beauties and question mark who is online. That kind of ad certainly is not connected to our decent forum wink

#390870 - 03/26/12 05:46 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pero - read my post immediately preceding yours. Try what I suggest and see if that doesn't resolve it.

#390872 - 03/26/12 06:00 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Chase Eric]
Edward Wong Offline
MaleSurvivor

The advertisements may not be sanctioned by MaleSurvivior. Instead, they could be inserted by a program on your computer (adware).

Adware comes in many forms, but the most common is a browser plugin.

To start your browser without plugins, shutdown your browser and click Start -> Run (or hit Windows Key - R)

For Internet Explorer type "iexplore.exe -extoff" (without quotes) and hit enter.

For FireFox, type "firefox -safe-mode" (without quotes) and hit enter.

For Google Chrome, type "chrome -disable-plugins" (without quotes) and hit enter.

#390873 - 03/26/12 06:19 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Edward Wong]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Edward Wong
The advertisements may not be sanctioned by MaleSurvivior. Instead, they could be inserted by a program on your computer (adware)...

Quite possible, but why would so many suddenly at once seem to have this issue?

#390875 - 03/26/12 06:39 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
Edward Wong Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: peroperic2009
This is temporary and even fluctuating with time, for example one or two hours ago it was visible more than now (it were small picture plus text and now just text). I'm also using Firefox. Now it is visible only in first part of some first threads like for example here under name Chris (so for you guys who are not able to see it):

this is taken from:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=389093&an=1#Post389093
couple minutes ago.
Pero

I've analyzed the source code from this topic.

The ad is inserted by the java-script below:

Quote:
<script src="http://www.snipershide.com/wp-content/468.js"></script>

Visiting the soruce url, we have

Quote:
document.writeln("<script type=\"text\/javascript\"><!--");
document.writeln("google_ad_client = \"ca-pub-6260654421632949\";");
document.writeln("\/* grantalertsonline_728 *\/");
document.writeln("google_ad_slot = \"0069001557\";");
document.writeln("google_ad_width = 728;");
document.writeln("google_ad_height = 90;");
document.writeln("\/\/-->");
document.writeln("<\/script>");
document.writeln("<script type=\"text\/javascript\"");
document.writeln("src=\"http:\/\/pagead2.googlesyndication.com\/pagead\/show_ads.js\">");
document.writeln("<\/script>")

The javascript inserts another script that displays the advertisement.

Note that the javascript is hosted at a 3rd party domain (snipershide.com). Since snipershide.com hosts a online store, it would be unusual for it to also host an ad server. My guess is that snipershide.com has been compromised and is hosting the advertising script without its owner's consent.

I'm not sure why MaleSurvivor is inserting the ad script?

The webmaster could have chosen to insert advertising to generated revenue. However, I doubt the webmaster would host the ad script on a third party site.

The ad script could also have been inserted by a third party without the oversight of the Web Oversight Committee. The MaleSurvor discussion board uses UBB Threads, which has numerous, well known vulnerabilities. If Male Survivor has not patched its server, a moderately skilled hacker could modify the UBB Threads configuration to insert an ad script on every page. The hacker could then collect ad revenue without having to maintain a website.

Given that the ad script appears to be hosted on a another compromised domain, I think last scenario is the most likely.

#390881 - 03/26/12 07:07 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Edward Wong]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I could not for the life of me figure out what you guys were talking about because I don't see them. But after reading further I realized I also have Mozilla Firefox "ghostry" add on.

#390882 - 03/26/12 07:14 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Riley]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: tartagus
I was just made aware of this problem. I am unaware of what is causing it and have reached out to our website host to see if they can help us figure out what is going on. That said This may be a browser issue for individual users. I just blocked Google Adsense with Ghostery on my browser (I'm using Chrome FWIW), and it's made the ads go away. This might explain why some users are not seeing the ads. Again, I have asked Interworks if there is a way to block the ads entirely.

Neither the MaleSurvivor board nor the Web Oversight Committee has authorized these ads to appear on the website. We are not receiving any income from these ads, and we absolutely NEVER allow the discussion forums to be used in such a manner. I will do everything I can to figure out what is at the bottom of this and work to get it fixed.

Thanks all for your patience,

Chris

#390909 - 03/26/12 08:47 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: SamV]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Eric and Edward Wong,
firstly I've tried with running Firefox in safe mod with disabled ads. Result was negative, ads were visible at this board.
Secondly I've installed AdBlock Plus like Eric mentioned and without adding any filter rule it seems that ads went off smile.
However I'm sure that MS has been assaulted by some hackers (like Edward described least scenario) after I've goggled about it, I've found that people have many similar problems at different blogs and forums from last year let say.
Here is one good solution described (I don't know is it compatible to UBB.threads™ 7.3.1 which is used for MS) but could be helpful anyway:
http://www.bloggersentral.com/2011/12/remove-unwanted-adsense-from-your-blog.html

Pero

#390976 - 03/27/12 03:33 AM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
phoenix321 Offline

Pero,

That link makes a lot of sense. It was hacking like Edward said. Glad it's gone.

Note: I saw a lot of AdBlock comments. AdBlock may "block" an ad but it can and does load in your browser. So, if the ad has a virus, you still get it. Another reason why Steve Jobs hated Flash.

I use Opera and it has a global block of content from 2 places that is serving the ads. As of 3:34am CST, I still saw ads so I blocked them with the browser. MS, you have a hack or the webhost is screwed up. The ads are from "xxxpageads. googlesydication .com"(no spaces). I have no viruses. I ran that. About to run it again to make sure.

Edited by phoenix321 (03/27/12 04:37 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.