Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
6 registered (highflight, cant_remember, jtafoya11, Ocellaris, traveler, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443109 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#390840 - 03/26/12 03:25 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: tartugas]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
This may be a browser issue. I just blocked Google Adsense with Ghostery on my browser (I'm using Chrome FWIW), and it's made the ads go away.

This might explain why some users are not seeing the ads. I have asked Interworks if there is a way to block adsense entirely.

Thanks all for your patience,

Chris
Healing D.H. Lawrence

#390853 - 03/26/12 03:51 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: tartugas]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

You may well be correct, Chris. I use Firefox, and installed AdBlock Plus. After rebooting the browser (as required after installing the add-on), I added a custom filter rule (which I named it AdSense but any name will do) that invokes the following filter rule: http://*.googlesyndication.com/*.

Since doing that, the ads have disappeared. They were showing up at the bottom of random posts (in the area post signatures would be). I wonder if those who do not see the ads already have ad-busting extensions installed in their browsers - that could explain why some see them and others do not.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#390858 - 03/26/12 04:14 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: tartugas]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
This is temporary and even fluctuating with time, for example one or two hours ago it was visible more than now (it were small picture plus text and now just text). I'm also using Firefox. Now it is visible only in first part of some first threads like for example here under name Chris (so for you guys who are not able to see it):

this is taken from:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=389093&an=1#Post389093
couple minutes ago.
Pero

#390860 - 03/26/12 04:39 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
And now ad has changed and it is about Asian beauties and question mark who is online. That kind of ad certainly is not connected to our decent forum wink

#390870 - 03/26/12 05:46 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pero - read my post immediately preceding yours. Try what I suggest and see if that doesn't resolve it.

#390872 - 03/26/12 06:00 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Chase Eric]
Edward Wong Offline
MaleSurvivor

The advertisements may not be sanctioned by MaleSurvivior. Instead, they could be inserted by a program on your computer (adware).

Adware comes in many forms, but the most common is a browser plugin.

To start your browser without plugins, shutdown your browser and click Start -> Run (or hit Windows Key - R)

For Internet Explorer type "iexplore.exe -extoff" (without quotes) and hit enter.

For FireFox, type "firefox -safe-mode" (without quotes) and hit enter.

For Google Chrome, type "chrome -disable-plugins" (without quotes) and hit enter.

#390873 - 03/26/12 06:19 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Edward Wong]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Edward Wong
The advertisements may not be sanctioned by MaleSurvivior. Instead, they could be inserted by a program on your computer (adware)...

Quite possible, but why would so many suddenly at once seem to have this issue?

#390875 - 03/26/12 06:39 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: peroperic2009]
Edward Wong Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: peroperic2009
This is temporary and even fluctuating with time, for example one or two hours ago it was visible more than now (it were small picture plus text and now just text). I'm also using Firefox. Now it is visible only in first part of some first threads like for example here under name Chris (so for you guys who are not able to see it):

this is taken from:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=389093&an=1#Post389093
couple minutes ago.
Pero

I've analyzed the source code from this topic.

The ad is inserted by the java-script below:

Quote:
<script src="http://www.snipershide.com/wp-content/468.js"></script>

Visiting the soruce url, we have

Quote:
document.writeln("<script type=\"text\/javascript\"><!--");
document.writeln("google_ad_client = \"ca-pub-6260654421632949\";");
document.writeln("\/* grantalertsonline_728 *\/");
document.writeln("google_ad_slot = \"0069001557\";");
document.writeln("google_ad_width = 728;");
document.writeln("google_ad_height = 90;");
document.writeln("\/\/-->");
document.writeln("<\/script>");
document.writeln("<script type=\"text\/javascript\"");
document.writeln("src=\"http:\/\/pagead2.googlesyndication.com\/pagead\/show_ads.js\">");
document.writeln("<\/script>")

The javascript inserts another script that displays the advertisement.

Note that the javascript is hosted at a 3rd party domain (snipershide.com). Since snipershide.com hosts a online store, it would be unusual for it to also host an ad server. My guess is that snipershide.com has been compromised and is hosting the advertising script without its owner's consent.

I'm not sure why MaleSurvivor is inserting the ad script?

The webmaster could have chosen to insert advertising to generated revenue. However, I doubt the webmaster would host the ad script on a third party site.

The ad script could also have been inserted by a third party without the oversight of the Web Oversight Committee. The MaleSurvor discussion board uses UBB Threads, which has numerous, well known vulnerabilities. If Male Survivor has not patched its server, a moderately skilled hacker could modify the UBB Threads configuration to insert an ad script on every page. The hacker could then collect ad revenue without having to maintain a website.

Given that the ad script appears to be hosted on a another compromised domain, I think last scenario is the most likely.

#390881 - 03/26/12 07:07 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Edward Wong]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I could not for the life of me figure out what you guys were talking about because I don't see them. But after reading further I realized I also have Mozilla Firefox "ghostry" add on.

#390882 - 03/26/12 07:14 PM Re: What's with all the ads? [Re: Riley]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: tartagus
I was just made aware of this problem. I am unaware of what is causing it and have reached out to our website host to see if they can help us figure out what is going on. That said This may be a browser issue for individual users. I just blocked Google Adsense with Ghostery on my browser (I'm using Chrome FWIW), and it's made the ads go away. This might explain why some users are not seeing the ads. Again, I have asked Interworks if there is a way to block the ads entirely.

Neither the MaleSurvivor board nor the Web Oversight Committee has authorized these ads to appear on the website. We are not receiving any income from these ads, and we absolutely NEVER allow the discussion forums to be used in such a manner. I will do everything I can to figure out what is at the bottom of this and work to get it fixed.

Thanks all for your patience,

Chris

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.