Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443149 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#389465 - 03/16/12 09:40 AM Church scandal in Croatia
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Big scandal is on going in Roman Catholic Church in Croatia. Historically there has been couple of cases of pedophilia in church but we never have had national consensus how to deal with it.
One priest has been accused for molestation huge number of boys many years ago. Story has been raveled couple weeks ago during TV show which has been broadcasting live at national TV. One victim has been interviewed live and another one (now 39 years old medical doctor, citizen of USA) has called from US during show and also raveled secrets that happened many years ago.
This time atmosphere is almost like national emergency and society has been incredible supportive. All institutions have been alarmed which is rarely seen. For me this looks like historic shift.
I have to say that we have had huge awareness campaigns against bullying in schools and against sexual abuse of women lately but never about male survivors. We are small community/country with very macho society. But our mentality is at same time very protective toward children and weaker ones overall. We are more than 80% Catholic society, but our culture is also very much anarchist and against all authorities taking always side of small average man. I hope this time institutions will do their job in first place. I have to say that church officials are at the moment completely cooperative and open for investigation -which is rarely seen.
It seems that all forces are now united to reveal and deal against demons... I hope this is true!
Pero

#389623 - 03/17/12 08:32 PM Re: Church scandal in Croatia [Re: peroperic2009]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
How interesting to hear about how this issue is seen in Croatia! I hope you will say more in time.

It seemed for a while years ago when the Boston cases were active, in early 2000's, it seemed more an American phenomenon, but now it's spread to Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany and Austria, Canada, Australia and beyond.

How do you think the adult male "victims" are seen? Society is supportive of them and whatever problems they may still have from it?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#390781 - 03/26/12 07:59 AM Re: Church scandal in Croatia [Re: LandOfShadow]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Sorry for my late respond Shadow,
that is not certainly American phenomenon, this kind of abuse is happening around of world and in many different cultures.
But I would like here to stress that way how church has behaved in those cases is more related to cultural issues (comparing this could be realy interesting and reveling different cultural backgrounds).
In Croatia and neighbor countries there is rarely talk about male survivors in media. Awareness is very low.
But people were very supportive to this particular survivor (this is first case ever to be followed by national media in which main victims are men).
Unfortunately society is not aware of any later relating problems for male survivors and there is huge lack of knowledge...

#390998 - 03/27/12 10:30 AM Re: Church scandal in Croatia [Re: peroperic2009]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
No problem for the delay.

I agree, the ABUSE is everywhere, but the media attention and lawsuites for a while seemed American and I think I remember the church saying, "Everything is fine elsewhere, folks. Nothing to see."

That cross-cultural comparison I think would be very revealing and interesting, yes.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.