Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kinghenri (26)
Who's Online
2 registered (susie, Logan), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#389240 - 03/14/12 04:45 AM Enough Damage Already
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
I know the feeling cuz its part of how we think, but please - Enough with the DAMAGED GOODS analogies already.
Please do not take this personally but we are NOT damaged. Injured, wounded , bereft of tools and coping skills yup we are all those. But damaged implies factory seconds, beyond repair, reduced to clear or final sale. I have yet to meet any survivor who is any of those things.

Wounds heal with a scar often stronger than the tissues they replace. Bone heals with a callus that makes it less likely to break again. Lacking skills or tools means a new opportunity to gain insite and understanding, maybe at at time in our lives that bring more meaning and gradittude than could have ever been possible.

I know we tend to sometimes think of ourselves as less than, but:
DAMAGED GOODS - Not a fucking chance!

WoR Barrie 2011

#389243 - 03/14/12 05:59 AM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: 1lifenow]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
I REALLY like that idea.

#389245 - 03/14/12 06:01 AM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: dancr6]
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Love your ATTITUDE, man!

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#389256 - 03/14/12 11:34 AM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: traveler]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Thank you for this.

Wonderful insight!

The trick is in how to find the healing. The body does heal on its own, we don't have to think about it.

But when it comes to psychological healing, we have to take a proactive part in it. We have to choose differently, behave differently, think differently. So difficult to do because we all start this journey thinking we are inherently defective.

Wow. I need to remember this next time I sink into despair and feel defeated.

D

#389259 - 03/14/12 12:03 PM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: 1lifenow]
Sobernow Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
This is really a wakeup for me too.

I tend to think I am defective somehow.

#389261 - 03/14/12 12:20 PM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: Sobernow]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I agree with the misconcept of "Damaged Goods" ... not sure if I agree completely with just the word "damaged", as a car can be "damaged" in an accident - - - but I agree, I AM NOT DAMAGED GOODS!

Thank you for bringing it to mind. Another rung in the victory ladder.

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#389267 - 03/14/12 01:00 PM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: MarkK]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe

We are Victims No longer smile!!!!

#389276 - 03/14/12 02:34 PM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: peroperic2009]
1lifenow Offline

Thanks guys

I agree about the car accident analogy, you're right there is trauma and impact. Left untended the rust ensues and the structure weakens and we are left with a bucket of bolts.

Wounds left untended can get infected, and ooze forever. The point about heeling is it does take care, it does take attention, it takes a look inward beneath the bandaging beneath the facade.

Thanks guys, I know this is such a painful thing to go thru at times.

I remember an old college anatomy prof once said b4 antibiotics they would have to scrub a would with a hard brush to remove the debris and then use soap or alcohol in an open wound. I know its what it feels like an open wound. Every trigger or flashback can be like a brush stroke in the most painful of places. Each one means one less we will have to face as we get closer to the healing.

Its going to be ok. Really.

WoR Barrie 2011

#389278 - 03/14/12 03:10 PM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: 1lifenow]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
1lifenow,

Thanks for writing about this "damaged goods" aspect of abuse. This gives a different way of looking at the abuse.

I will go on record by saying: I have lived as a victim. I have lived as damaged goods. I was "sold" as a second, third, etc, commodity. I was beaten, robbed and raped even as an adult. I thought (believed) I deserved to be used. Damaged goods - hmmmmm. I drank - I am an alcoholic. I am damaged goods as far as the way alcohol affects me. Some foods affect me differetly than others. I have PTSD, which is getting less intense but, I am damaged in the sense I am hypervigilant.

I validate each of us to define what kind of life we have lived.

Some of my fellow survivors have not and some will not recover from the abuse.

Avery

Edited by Avery46 (03/14/12 03:30 PM)

#389289 - 03/14/12 05:03 PM Re: Enough Damage Already [Re: Avery46]
1lifenow Offline

Thanks for those thoughtful words Avery

I agree each has his own path.

Recovered, no i dont think can ever fully recover, but honestly even by being here it gets better. Just to different degrees based on so many factors.

Doing group or workbooks or T or WoR or just reading on the internet. The very act of increased self awareness and knowledge is a further long than b4 and may not be where we want to be , but is not the place we were either. You sharing your story, recieving genuine empathy cuz some or many have been in your shoes and seen thru eyes so similar, there can be no mistaking the vantage point.

But make no mistake, not doing anything IS a choice.

I was a drinker too, went to AA. Realized its not the alcohol that makes me damaged(well my liver) but how i react and use it as a pain killer. Now thru T and a book no longer abuse alchohol. I have a 2 drink limit and stick to it. Or no drink or one drink, i dont really care. But I am not an alcoholic, its not a disease, like so many things that happen to us as Survivors , it is a maladaptive compulsion like drugs, gambling, anonymous sex, shopping, hypervigilance, sexual anorexia, etc. Find the reason for the compulsion recognize what state drove you there, what you can do about it and the compulsion is no longer in control. Avoiding or indulging are not tools. But understanding is.

Its up to each of us to find our own truth. Its a choice whether we chose to reach for it or not.

This first line in a book on recovery said "find out what you dont know" wtf, that makes no sense. Thats why i bought the stupid book in the first place. What kind of mind F is that?

But it does when you look back after being further down the road. Its all about perspective.

Cheers

WoR Barrie 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.