Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
5 registered (86, lapchinj, 3 invisible), 20 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63170 Topics
441727 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#389185 - 03/13/12 01:14 PM Survivors Network Abused by Priests under attack
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I haven't see this discussed here and I'm thinking this is potentially very significant to all survivors of CSA and their advocates.

The catholic church has a new offensive to destroy SNAP and silence victims described in a New York Times front page article.

David Clohessy said “The real motive is to harass and discredit and bankrupt SNAP, while discouraging victims, witnesses, whistle-blowers, police, prosecutors and journalists from seeking our help.” Victims do not speak out without support, and court cases are often a trial-by-fire. Isn't this an attack on all survivor advocacy organizations? like MaleSurvivor? Being deposed (for 6 hours) and answering sweeping subpenas is devastating to individuals!

The article states: "Many of the questions were intended to prove that the group does not meet the definition of a rape crisis center. If it did, the group’s records would be shielded under a Missouri statute." In most states I believe. This is significant. I trained to become a Minnesota state sexual assault advocate and learned that information I hear acting as an advocate is a form of "privileged communication". I can't be forced to disclose this normally by police or lawyers (except special circumstances). This is another example of how it's important that male survivors be incorporated into the existing RAINN network. But we are divided multiple ways and largely shut out of RCC's. It's CSA against ASA, women against men, whites against non-whites, professionals against non-professionals. And trusting isn't our forté.

I'm not a fan of the legal system in much of anything to do with CSA or even ASA (though it's better). Still, it has it's place and when there's little willingness to act proactively in prevention modes...maybe it's the only game to play.

SNAP needs contributions to fight this, though our money benefits the powerful lawyers greatly. We need to speak out loudly against attacking victim organizations and advocates, and encourage RAINN type organizations to include us, and avoid falling for the politics of divide and conquer.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#389191 - 03/13/12 03:58 PM Re: Survivors Network Abused by Priests under attack [Re: LandOfShadow]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I am a member of SNAP--they do an excellent job at trying to help and protect the victims and bring forth the injustices that the priests have inflicted on the young. They need everyone's support.

#389266 - 03/14/12 12:38 PM Re: Survivors Network Abused by Priests under attack [Re: KMCINVA]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
That means that they're feeling the "hit". SNAP has a lot going for it. I think that truth will win.

Puffer

#389290 - 03/14/12 05:10 PM Re: Survivors Network Abused by Priests under attack [Re: pufferfish]
pluckmemory Offline

The New York Times also did an editorial today on this subject: "Hurting Victims' Advocates"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/hurting-advocates-of-victims-abused-by-priests.html

Edited by pluckmemory (03/14/12 05:10 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.