Newest Members
Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss, JW1230
12363 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
40035 (55), Brayton (60), DavidJ (65), Grout (29), JJM33 (43), RockyMtJoe (66)
Who's Online
2 registered (GT13568, wearytraveler), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12363 Members
74 Forums
63535 Topics
443894 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#388562 - 03/06/12 05:33 PM once too many
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO

Edited by MarkK (03/12/12 09:25 AM)

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#388571 - 03/06/12 08:34 PM Re: once too many [Re: MarkK]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
"too many people hurt by me trying not to be hurt"

In my young adult days I travelled (ran) a lot and left several people behind without a goodbye. When I saw them again I was totally surprised by their anger at me leaving them without a word. I never once considered that they would care if i left, never once imagined that they would care enough about me to want me to stay in their lives. I just needed to run!

#388602 - 03/07/12 06:25 AM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
"too many people hurt by me trying not to be hurt"

Many of us can write a book based on this one line in your poem. It took a lot of years for me to realize that building walls to protect myself from the evil that existed in people also barricaded me from all the good that radiates from them. For me, I learned, it was impossible to fortify against one without blocking the other especially sense we all seem to have the capacity for both good and evil in varying degrees.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#388615 - 03/07/12 09:23 AM Re: once too many [Re: earlybird]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by MarkK (03/12/12 09:24 AM)

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#388645 - 03/07/12 06:51 PM Re: once too many [Re: MarkK]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
MarkK -

*** or do we wall off the bad and the good along with it.

That has definitely been my experience. I never learned how to separate the good from the bad feelings. So i shut down completely and lost them all. now, with feelings coming back, sometimes i still can't tell the difference and even the good *feels* very painful. But they are starting to separate and i'm learning now - very late - to recognize and appreciate BOTH.

Regards,
Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#388650 - 03/07/12 07:45 PM Re: once too many [Re: traveler]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm not sure that I saw the choice early on. I don't think I was aware of what I was doing until I had been doing it for years and losing a lot of good things and people. Hearing things like "Desperado" among others and slowly beginning to work on becoming conscious of what i was doing was when I started to change.

#388660 - 03/07/12 09:15 PM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

The sign of a wonderful poem is the conversations it sparks Ė nicely done MarkK.

I donít think there is much question that each individual has to assess their own needs and desires before deciding what price they are willing to pay to find connection and free affection. It varies for me. When it comes to my wife Iíll chance everything to keep our connection tight. I have found to hold back only serves to create more pain and discomfort. Here it is a mixed bag. Iíll open up and then withdraw and I canít seem to find my comfort zone. When I open up I feel the pain which clearly outweighs my ability to remain vulnerable so I withdraw for a few days to up to a couple of months. Then I miss being amongst you and the few who have embraced me so I return and try to open my defenses only to find myself withdrawing again. Itís crazy making for sure and I donít understand how I can be so successful with my immediate family and fail so miserably here with guys I want to feel a kinship with.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#388924 - 03/10/12 06:44 PM Re: once too many [Re: earlybird]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Earl, when you speak of failure you must be speaking
in the past tense.

#388959 - 03/11/12 07:18 AM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dancr6,
The past, both good and bad, never leaves us it is part of our permanent foundation. Unlike a building there is no taking down the structure and starting over or relocating away from it. No, we can never move, it is one of our only possessions. One can reface it so to make it appear beautiful by hiding the damage which Iíve tried and it didnít go so well. We can try denying the weaknesses within the structure but doing this has proven to lead to crumbling disaster. Or, I guess, one can spend hours drilling into the cement that supports us and bolting above and below the cracks so as to strengthen the base which is what Iím trying to do. The problem is I have no training, Iím not a human engineer so I donít know how best to go about it. What looks good to me is often seen as a blemish or out of square to others. But I keep drilling and plugging because the alternatives of denial or polishing the exterior hasnít worked.

So to answer your question Ė no itís not in the past and it never fully will be. But this realization does not leave me feeling hopeless, far from it. I just canít keep denying the cracks and blemishes that are part of who I am.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#388980 - 03/11/12 01:44 PM Re: once too many [Re: earlybird]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have no intention of denying cracks and blemishes, nor do I hide my shadow side, but I have come to a place where I see it all as a whole. I have a shadow side and a glorious side, they are only dichotomous when i chose to view them as such. I am good and evil, beautiful and hideous, compassionate and cruel. I want to respond from the side that I see as growth producing, I might love you and simultaneously be annoyed by parts of you, but I chose to respond to the parts of you that I love.
I know you, as do we all, have a shadow side, I want to show compassion for him but I want to communicate with your glorious side and talk about the shadow in the third person, i think we will accomplish a lot more.

#388990 - 03/11/12 04:14 PM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dancr6,

You're spot on in your thoughts and conclusions and I'm enjoying getting to know you. earlybird

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

#388991 - 03/11/12 04:24 PM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#388993 - 03/11/12 05:23 PM Re: once too many [Re: MarkK]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

"In Jungian psychology, the shadow or "shadow aspect" is a part of the unconscious mind consisting of repressed weaknesses, shortcomings, and instincts. "

The Glorious side is the "Adult" in us that reasons before it reacts. The state of mind that follows things through to a logical conclusion before it speaks. Responding versus reacting!

#389000 - 03/11/12 06:50 PM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#389006 - 03/11/12 09:05 PM Re: once too many [Re: MarkK]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark, what i write here isn't intended to be dogma. I don't evangelize or proselytize what has worked for me I just throw it out there with the thought that it might be of some value to someone. If what I write is malicious or dangerous report me. If it is just contrary to what you think is valid, ignore it.

#389038 - 03/12/12 09:22 AM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: dancr6
If it is just contrary to what you think is valid, ignore it.
?? so ... if you don't like what i say you get in my face about it ... but if i don't like what you say, i am to "ignore it" ...
believe it or not, i truly did not mean to offend. forgive me for sharing my thoughts. i should have kept them to myself.

#389070 - 03/12/12 06:14 PM Re: once too many [Re: MarkK]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark, I owe you an apology, I am the one who was angry and I jumped to conclusions. I was feeling a little insignificant at the time I REACTED to your post.
Please don't take that as the way that I plan to RESPOND in the future. I had a friend who's opinion I hold high and he basically said what you just said.
Once again, I am sorry for my inappropriate remark.

#389074 - 03/12/12 06:31 PM Re: once too many [Re: dancr6]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark, just to help me feel better, I want to apologize again. what I did was a good example of my "shadow side" taking over. I wonder when I will ever, if ever, leave that behind me. Hopefully soon, it causes me to feel like I am still a lot less than I want to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.