Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
6 registered (GT13568, 5 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443447 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#388220 - 03/04/12 04:25 AM Re: kid in my class [Re: Jim1104]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Fri nite was a big event - my drama class performed for the public - mostly friends and family and students - but a full house. It was a great success - the kids did a superb job and i was so proud. The boy I have been concerned about was the male lead. He did so well and i am hoping this will help boost his morale and self-image. Everybody loves him - he's just the "perfect" young man on the surface. Shows what a great actor he really is... i think that's one of the reasons i identify with him so deeply.

Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#388259 - 03/04/12 12:37 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
This is wonderful news Lee,
You are doing great job, you are awesome but we've known already that fact.
Giving attention and support would be very helpful to that kid!
I wish I've had such teacher smile .
Pero

#388271 - 03/04/12 04:10 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: peroperic2009]
ALovingMum Offline

Loc: England
Hi Lee,

Thank you so much for caring so much about this lovely boy - if everyone was like you, the world will be a safer place for kids.

From all you have posted here, that boy is definitely being abused. One thing that is sure is, it is a HUGE burden upon his young shoulders - he is unable to speak about it because:

1. He doesn't feel safe enough to speak to you - you went to him and not him to you. When he feels he can trust you, and feels less inhibited and afraid, he may come to you.

2. The person involved may be toooooo close for comfort and the revelation would change their lives forever!

3. He may feel responsible to keep the status quo so that he is not ultimately responsible for breaking down the equilibrium of his life as he knows it now - "now" though sad and terrifying, is less terrifying than an uncertain and very different "future". This sort is usually quite common amongst incest victims.

As LandofShadow has posted, you never know what the parents are like at home - I would distance myself a little if I were you, so that the boy does not see you as their ally, should they (or one of them) be the one(s) doing this to him.

In all, keep up the good work - you are a star, and may very well be his guardian angel. God bless you and I have both of you in my prayers.

The person who violated my son was the person he loved most in this world - he kept their secret for longer than anyone of us knew - but when he could bear the physical pain of the assault no more, he blurted it out one day, asking me to tell his Daddy to stop because it hurt too much! And he was a mere baby! That was the day my life (as I knew it) ended!

A Loving Mum.

#432743 - 04/28/13 12:26 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

this is an old thread - but i just learned of an appendix to the story - unfortunately.

the boy i was concerned about graduated and has moved on. i now have his ex-girlfriend, who is a year younger, in my classes. i now know that while he was in the relationship with her he was abusing her in various ways.

it hurts so badly to know that. i hurt for her - and for him. i am now more convinced than ever that he was also a victim. maybe i gave up too soon. or maybe his parents should have been more nosy. i don't know. i did what i though was right at the time. but i guess it wasn't enough.

moral of the story - trust your instincts.
Lee

#432901 - 04/29/13 06:09 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
Airmid Offline

Loc: South
That's sad to hear, Lee, but I'm so glad you planted the seed that others see and do care. So many victims and survivors are seen and revictimized by being ignored, and you didn't do that. You're awesome!

If all he knows is what he does, then perpetuating DV seems rational in his mind, as does the cutting. I hope your seed grows and he strengthens throughout the next few years and seeks out someone he trusts to get help.

I wish my guy had had an educator like you in his life.

#433435 - 05/03/13 09:38 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
txb Offline

I just read this thread and I was sorry to hear the update. I donít think you should be so hard on yourself though. There is nothing more you could have done. You canít force someone to tell. But I just wanted to say there are lots of reasons people self harm. Not just abuse. I did read recently that people who were abused were 4 times more likely to self harm than people who havenít been, but Iíve seen other studies that showed that a large percentage of self harmers havenít been abused.

I know people who have done it for a whole lot of different reasons, like bullying, stress, depression, for attention (people look at that really harshly, but I donít see whatís so wrong with wanting someone to pay attention to you. You must be really lonely and desperate if thatís the only thing you can think of to do to get some attention.) Some girl I knew started because this guy broke up with her, to guilt him into getting back together with her. I know quite a few people who have used it to manipulate people they are in a relationship with.

I guess I am about the same age as the guy you were trying to help. Iím not sure but I think I probably would have denied everything if a teacher asked me directly. Itís weird to me that he would let people see his scars though. Most people try really hard to keep them hidden. I guess he was trying to say something by showing them. But you shouldn't feel bad, you really did everything you could.

#433454 - 05/04/13 12:31 AM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

thank you, txb.

it does help - coming from your perspective.

lee

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.