Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 33 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63786 Topics
445429 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#387939 - 03/01/12 03:40 PM Article writing assistance???
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Howdy!

My place of employment has a monthly newsletter and typically each month there is one main article that talks about some "awareness" issue.

So I contacted my HR department to see if they had anything yet for April (which is not only sexual assault awareness month, but also child abuse prevention month) and they don't. So I volunteered to write an article!!

But now I find myself feeling horribly inadequate and struggling with what to include, say etc!

So my question for the community is, when it comes to awareness, what information do you think should be shared? (yes I'm writing this specifically about male sexual abuse).

Any and all input/feedback/etc would be fantastic!

Please help!

#387944 - 03/01/12 04:13 PM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: JustScott]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY

well, how many words first of all?

what message do you want your coworkers to walk away with?

just for starters i like to use "three" things or ideas, or concepts, or take-a-ways for a presentation.

being that its a business... my advice would be to keep very much on the positive "yes, can and do recover, find happiness etc. etc." if you know what i mean.

perhaps talk too about how important support networks are, here on this board for example, coupled with in person, more localized groups?

feel free to pm me if you want feedback on an outline or editing of the finished product.

#387950 - 03/01/12 04:46 PM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: westchesterguy]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Dear JustScott,
Your letters (to local newspaper and to Male survivor) that you've posted in your blog (http://thoughtsfromthewounded.blogspot.com/2011_11_01_archive.html) are great to consider for that article, at least I've found them great!
I would put your letters (or some parts) as introduction of your article and than additionally I would bring other things relating to rising awareness: support to victims, myths about victims, supportive organizations etc. - just my idea!
Pero

#387960 - 03/01/12 06:26 PM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: peroperic2009]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
Well Scott, I think statistics should be shared. That 1 in 6 figure should really wake people up to how widespread sexual abuse of boys is.

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#388041 - 03/02/12 08:43 AM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: Casmir213]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Wasn't given a limit but not too insanely long I'm sure :-)

I'll definitely be sharing the 1 in 6. Figured I also wanted to touch on some of the Myths.

#388043 - 03/02/12 09:14 AM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: JustScott]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Lately, I've been drawing a historical perspective for people, how the women's anti-rape movement started 40 years ago, and how male survivors are just now starting to speak about these crimes.

There are lots of parallels and people "get it". It seems to kind of leverage the sympathy in society for women.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#388051 - 03/02/12 10:02 AM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: LandOfShadow]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
Then once you get their attention with the 1 in 6 Scott, they'll be thinking "Okay, now what can we do about it?" Prevention, detection, and treatment are good things to focus on in your article. How to prevent it from happening in the first place. How to detect when it might be happening (signs in children's behavior, etc.), and What can and should be done about it if it has been proven to have happened to a child. Awareness is one thing, but without knowledge of how to prevent, what to look for, and what to do afterward, I don't think people would feel confident that they can handle such a serious situation.

Good luck with your article Scott. You are doing a good thing.

Edited by Casmir213 (03/02/12 10:04 AM)

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#388052 - 03/02/12 10:24 AM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: Casmir213]
Dewey Offline

Loc: the sunshine state
It seems to me that the after effects might be really important. Especially feelings of shame and a sense of responsibility for the abuse. You might touch on how it has a tendency to shape our view of ourselves. If you are really gutsy you might talk about how many suffer from ssa as an after effect. I'm sure it will be a great article Scott, the best to you! Thanks again for the link to the daily affirmations, I get them every day. Dan

#388061 - 03/02/12 11:41 AM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: Dewey]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
WOW!!! This is a great opportunity! I applaud you for writing your HR department to offer your input.

I would say: 1. add statistics about sexual abuse of children, 2. sexual assualt of males - both of these and other statements can be found on the front page of this site. and 3. something about your own story.

I believe in you and believe it will be a great article.

Peace,
Avery

#388071 - 03/02/12 01:23 PM Re: Article writing assistance??? [Re: Avery46]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

All fantastic ideas and I even got some stuff via PM!

Thanks all, keep the ideas coming, this is HELPING ALLOT!!!

Avery... I have to admit when I read number 3.... there was a deep involuntary inhale.....

Although my story isn't secret (I have it on Youtube) and I've shared it openly in a few locations.... Wow.... sharing it with everyone at work... we'll see.....! :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.