Hey husky, thanks for bumping this thread. Also, thanks to everyone who has posted in it way back when,
I have realized that I have very few reasonable coping skills and start falling back on unhealthy ones when push comes to shove.
Here is my list of things I should be doing to help me get through tough moments...
1. Listening to music, singing, playing guitar. Sometimes I can't figure out how I am feeling until I can sing a song that sums it up for me.
2. Go for a walk, ride my bike or skateboard. Get out of the house and out of my head.
3. Physical affection with safe people. Realizing I need a lot of physical touch to feel safe, but gotta make sure it's healthy and all that. A hug, holding someone's hand, whatever.
4. take a deep breath, stay present, name things in the room, try to bring down anxiety and confusion by reminding myself of where and when I am.
5. Have fun
6. Laugh, call someone who makes me laugh
7. Swing. I have this huge adult man sized swing on a tree in the backyard. Awesome.
8. Go to support group, NA or lifering, or SAISA meeting
9. Karaoke. 'Nuff said.
10. Call my therapist
11. Go to meditation group
13. Write to myself
14. Write to someone else
15. Do something nice for someone
That's all I can think of, but a better list than the one I'm currently using
Thanks for the ideas.