Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
1 registered (don64), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38687 - 11/19/04 06:02 PM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
Dan88 Offline

Loc: DC
Well, I used to have a lot of unhealthy escape mechanisms. But I avoid those now.

But I still have some that are allowed. I read trash mysteries. I smoke cigars. I handicap horse races. I analyze stocks. I listen to music. I used to use long drives as an escape, but not so much now because of the traffic in my area.

Thatís about it. Iím always looking for new ones, though.
\:D

#38688 - 11/19/04 06:25 PM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
i just sat in my backyard and meditated -
the crashng down all around
starts to disappear sometimes -

i smoked cigarettes and played with the smoke

all around me ...

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#38689 - 11/20/04 11:14 PM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
For me it's off-road competition driving, not that I'm any good at it, I just lurk around 3 or 4th place in most comp's.

It's the challenge of getting an old Range Rover as far as possible through the worsr terrain imaginable that's so good.
Then being towed and winched out by my mates who are merciless in their piss taking!

I'm off tomorrow, to a new site in the Welsh mountains, and the weather forecast is for torrential rain and possibly snow.
The seasons finished, so there's no points to be won, it's just for fun.
Bring it on! \:D

Dave

#38690 - 11/21/04 04:56 AM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
No doubt about it.

For me, it's scratching in the dirt, pulling the weeds and planting things.

I once told a friend of mine that gardening was my therapy.

He paused, looked around at the masses of plants all around my yard and said, "Dude, you must be really screwed up!".

Some compliment, huh?

-Tony Joe White

#38691 - 11/22/04 10:40 AM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
Mickey Offline

Loc: California
All of tese excapes sound to me like wonderful hobbies. I escape into work. Endless work. Alwys taking on new projects...more than anyone can handle. I caqn never turn down anything that sounds interesting. Money is not the motivator (I don't get paid by the project), it's stimulation - an addiction maybe to interesting things that can keep my mind of SA and its aftermath. Only recently have I linked theis "workaholism" to SA, so the link is still tentative in my mind, but it sure makes sense. I sure wish I read more or gardened or raced cars or just sat in the backyard...but those would leave me too much time to think...and hurt.

#38692 - 11/22/04 03:43 PM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
ecb Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm also a big reader. I also play role playing games (like Dungeons and Dragons.) I'm especially fond of a live action version of gaming I particpate in as well. For a weekend every month or so, I don't have to be me. I can be someone better whom I've designed and for who things are generally going better. \:\)

I'm also a big fan of some video games, but that one easily slips into numbing for me during my not so good times.

-Eric

#38693 - 11/22/04 11:43 PM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Mickey
when you're out having fun, you don't have time to think.
Yesterday, when I was out playing in the mud, I didn't think about 'abuse' in any shape or form all day.
It's a welcome relief, and a touch of reality.

Getting out and meeting people outside of the 'abuse' community is something I believe we NEED to do.
If it's joining a chess club, volunteering to make tea at an old folks home or something as extreme as base jumping, they all take our focus away from our problems for a while. In the end we get to like it.

Dave

#38694 - 11/23/04 07:02 AM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
sadanddown Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Gaboogistan
I just had the greatest escape I've had in a loooong time. I watched the monday night football game. I didn't think about anything except the game the entire time. I love football, it is a great escape for me too. A bunch of my friends and I play fantasy football...maybe next season we could start one up on here, because it is a lot of fun to keep track of players and all. It has helped me so much just get away from everything for a while.

#38695 - 11/26/04 09:44 AM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
parttimecop Offline

I go through cycles in what I do. I tend to obsess about one thing for awhile and then go on to another hobby. I don't know if that is healthy, but until this moment I had not really thought of it as unhealthy. I usually read alot, about whatever it is I am interested in. Right now I am trying to do some writing.

Also I spend time with my girlfriend and she makes me forget about most of my troubles. About the only way I think of my troubles is in that i think I am unworthy of something this good and how if she knew who(the totality) the abuse made me, she would run away. I know that is not rational, but I do have real issues of feeling worthy of anything good. Be it God's grace or the lady I love. Sorry I was rambling there.

#38696 - 11/28/04 11:19 PM Re: Escapism, what do you do?
Redsongbird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Its been a while since I have posted on anything but this topic caught my eye. Last nite I did something I have not done in a long while....I watched the Sci-fi channel. The three movies "Species" was on and for the whole time I thought of nothing else but what would happen in the movie next...it was great!

Tobey

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.