Newest Members
hans32, SilentNoLonger, masryt, feartheroo, Xzander32244
12130 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ACLover94 (50), Henry (40), james 1959 (55), Johnny90 (24), poliwog (44), Starbuck (38)
Who's Online
6 registered (Tiger1982, CafeMan, I Want 2 Thrive, SilentNoLonger, 2 invisible), 70 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12130 Members
73 Forums
62553 Topics
438320 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#386353 - 02/19/12 04:28 AM kid in my class
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
Posted this in Male survivors - but with more emphasis on my feelings as a survivor myself - thought maybe it would be good to get F & F input too - more on how to help a teen who seems to be in denial:

... wed i read on another thread - too tired to look it up - about a threrapist who said that nearly all kids who do cutting have a history of abuse. I have a kid in my class that i thought of immediately and it was liek a stab to the heart.

Great guy - liked by everyone, talented, handsome, easygoing, friendly, etc... but he has lots of scars on both arms and doesn't even try to hid them and now has a big bandage and stitches. we have a pretty good rapport. I asked him to stay after class about an assignment and then told him wht i'd read. then i asked him point-blank - has anyone ever messed with you in any way? he said no. i asked again - i understand if you're embarassed - told him it could be other kinds of abuse - emotional, physical, verbal - that i'd been there and didn't want him to waste years of his life and then have it come back to bite him - like me. he needs to deal with it and get help. he said no again. told him whatever the issues he's struggling with - there is help available. don't try to do it alone. let him go, still denying...

Next day he was sick - parents came in to get assignments and becaus i told them i had another matter to discuss. Good talk - over an hour. they are aware f the problem - have him under prof care weekly and meds and lots more. they don't know what the root cause is - i believe them. they were glad someone else at school is aware and cares. sad case - really want to help - feel terrible bout it but cant do more than i have...

positive thoughts, suggestions, and prayers welcome - for BOTH of us!!!
lee

and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#386411 - 02/19/12 01:01 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
herowannabe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Whew...what a load this boy is carrying.

I think you've planted a strong seed, Lee. Maybe working in concert with the parents will provide this boy with the vision that a life-preserver is bobbing near enough for him to reach?

I have faith in you, in your wisdom, compassion and love for others. I know you will know what to do in moving forward. And this boy will benefit greatly from having what so many survivors didn't have: someone who notices his pain and is determined to pull him to safety.

What a blessing you are!

herowannabe

For I know the plans I have made for you. Plans to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

#386441 - 02/19/12 07:43 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: herowannabe]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by pufferfish (02/19/12 07:47 PM)

#386483 - 02/20/12 04:46 AM Re: kid in my class [Re: pufferfish]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Thanks. If it's not sexual abuse, it's still gotta be some heavy trauma...

Needed this 3-day weekend to recover. Back to the battle on Tues. We've been covering pretty grim stuff in American Lit and between me and the Health teacher, we're keeping the school counsellor busy with referrals. Thank God for that lady!

Lee

#386505 - 02/20/12 12:01 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
Gretta Offline

Thank you for caring... maybe just maybe he might come to you.

#386506 - 02/20/12 12:06 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: Gretta]
herowannabe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lee-

I wonder if the boy's denial of abuse could be that he's developed DID and the knowledge of the abuse is held within an alternative personality???

I have NO clue how you help with THAT, but the thought struck me, and so I'm sharing it with you.

Carry On and Remain Beautiful!
herowannabe

For I know the plans I have made for you. Plans to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

#386797 - 02/22/12 08:47 AM Re: kid in my class [Re: herowannabe]
traveler Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I had to address the suicide issue again today because i handed back the assignment about the suicide poem from the day i couldn't handle it and gave them work to do on their own.

I stressed the fact that it is a myth that you shouldn't ask a depressed person if they are thinking about it because you will suggest it to them. Told them it was better to ask and then help them get help if they need it. At our school it is readily accessible because we have a counselor that the kids love and who has taught most of them. Told them i have seen a counselor about my "friend" who is gone and that it really helped me deal with it. Told them that they could save a life by not keeping secrets.

While i was saying this, the boy whose cutting has concerned me put his head down on his desk. He wouldn't look at me. I have a feeling another conversation is in our near future.

(Hero: His parents said there are other things going on such as OCD and more. I'll ask about the DID.)

If you are a person who believes in prayer, now would be a good time. If you think positive energy or thoughts are helpful, that's welcome, too...

Thanks,
Lee

#386830 - 02/22/12 06:34 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: traveler]
herowannabe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Prayers fervently going this boy's way!

Thanks, Lee, for allowing God to use you to bring help to this boy!

Speak, Lord! Your servant, Lee, is listening!!!

Hugs-
herowannabe

#386991 - 02/23/12 10:29 PM Re: kid in my class [Re: herowannabe]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Well, if I put myself in his shoes, which isn't too hard to do, he doesn't feel safe telling you, that it would make something better. It feels safer to be alone. I kind of grew up that way never feeling anyone was safe. So you have to grow the connection you have I guess. My parents were really good at appearances, in public one way, privately another, so I wonder about his. I think you can't know for sure what's going on there.

I guess I'd keep talking and just let him listen and watch for how it develops. Even if he never opens up, your concern is visible and that's huge. He'll remember that forever. It's got to be hard for you.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#387020 - 02/24/12 03:17 AM Re: kid in my class [Re: LandOfShadow]
Jim1104 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Can's say much more except to remain available to him. Your a wonderful man Lee. You really are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.