Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
5 registered (don64, tbkkfile, Seekingwisdom, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63203 Topics
441951 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#386314 - 02/18/12 10:55 PM Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Today, three Georgia legislators had a "townhall" meeting to discuss pending Georgia legislation. Right now, two bills are pending on child abuse.

One is Georgia Senate Bill 316, to extend the SOL, and the second is SB 355 to increase the categories of persons required to report child abuse.

The SOL increase isn't huge, but it is an increase.

I spoke during the meeting about MaleSurvivor.Org, and also, the fact that Arizona among others, has NO SOL on child abuse. I also made the point that many survivors wait decades, not just years, to reveal their abuse.

D.

#386446 - 02/19/12 08:25 PM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: Disappointed]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Disappointed
Today, three Georgia legislators had a "townhall" meeting to discuss pending Georgia legislation. Right now, two bills are pending on child abuse.

One is Georgia Senate Bill 316, to extend the SOL, and the second is SB 355 to increase the categories of persons required to report child abuse.

The SOL increase isn't huge, but it is an increase.

I spoke during the meeting about MaleSurvivor.Org, and also, the fact that Arizona among others, has NO SOL on child abuse. I also made the point that many survivors wait decades, not just years, to reveal their abuse.

D.

I gave testimony in our nation's capital almost 3 years ago to have the SOL changed there. At that time it was a ridiculous 6 months. Most CSA victims don't even remember their abuse until they're in their 40's.

Puffer

#386458 - 02/19/12 10:37 PM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

That's what I told 'em, Puffer. Also mentioned this website and said it slowly twice, so those attending could check it out.

#386459 - 02/19/12 10:37 PM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: Disappointed]
Disappointed Offline

Who was having a hearing about it?

#386465 - 02/19/12 11:50 PM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: Disappointed]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Disappointed
Who was having a hearing about it?

It was the city government of Washington, D.C. Not the national government.

I gave them my report in writing. It was essentially the same as pufferfish story part 5. It raised some eyebrows! It was in their venue because I was abused in a boy scout camp operated by the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...9028#Post219028

But I don't know that the meeting did anything. I went at the invitation of SNAP. I wasn't exactly abused by a "priest" but the SNAP Network was very nice to me and paid my way. I appreciated them. About 2 dozen of us gave testimony. My contact person was Barbara Blaine, who is now the president of SNAP. Very nice people.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (02/20/12 12:00 AM)

#386726 - 02/21/12 05:32 PM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

Well, Puffer, I have to believe making more and more people aware of the fallout from CSA is a positive step. You were brave to bear such horrible memories to advance the cause.

D.

#415633 - 11/07/12 09:55 PM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: Disappointed]
mcclendon Offline

Loc: Georgia
I am in Georgia and the difficulty I am facing is the SOL. What I don't understand is why SOL is a State Statue and not Federal. Is CSA different State to State? It is so maddening.

#415650 - 11/08/12 01:58 AM Re: Info Only: Georgia Might Change SOL for CSA [Re: mcclendon]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes SOL is legislated separately by each state. Since I was involved in the Washington D.C. proceedings, I happen to know that one was ridiculously low, like 90 days or something.

The former mayor of D.C., Marion Berry was notably interested in what I said. The others on the committee seemed to be teachers or school boar members. They were introduced but I only remember the one name.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (11/08/12 02:00 AM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.