Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
1 registered (I Want 2 Thrive), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64185 Topics
447890 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#385437 - 02/12/12 10:02 AM one little candle
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Last week i had the overwhelming opportunity to talk to our high school's health classes about dysfunctional families - as a survivor of one. It was sobering and i was shaky about it but got through it OK. I talked about the verbal, emotional and physical abuse I experienced but did not go into or even mention the sexual abuse at all (too chicken) except to say that all types of abuse spill over into other categories and it is hard to separate them in their original or later effects. I also encouraged them to reach out for help if they felt that they had been abused in any way.

I didn't get too graphic but enough to let them know that we looked better than the average family from the outside and how bad it really was on the inside. the kids were very quiet and listened intently. A few days later i heard from both the teacher of the course and the school counselor that several of the students have contacted them for a chat, prompted by that class session. IF it helps even one have a better life it was worth the discomfort i felt.

Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#385459 - 02/12/12 02:12 PM Re: one little candle [Re: traveler]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Fucking awesome!!!

#385472 - 02/12/12 05:04 PM Re: one little candle [Re: traveler]
ALIVE 3n1 Offline

Loc: Throne Room of God
Wonderful!!!!

I applaud you on extending yourself. Growth starts just outside of our comfort zone. Keep up the good work.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.