Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
5 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, innervoice, 3 invisible), 67 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62495 Topics
438040 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#384503 - 02/05/12 10:03 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: Jim1961]
pat8 Offline

Thanks, Jimmy. I know what you mean.

I will have to walk a fine line...For now I will surely not let him be by himself with anyone else . It all happened in an interval of just 4 hours that he was at my brotherís house (my brother was at work, my niece was in another room). And the perp is someone who I watched grow, who I know since he was 5yo himself. SoÖ I canít and wonít trust anyone else (only my husband, and my parents, of course). My son is now very vulnerable, because his boundaries were somehow shattered. I have to help him rebuild them, and help him understand what happened.

I am just so glad he is not a teenager. I know things will change as he grows. I still have many years during which he praises parents more than friends smile. He is strong willed and assertive. It will not be easy for me to over shield him as a teenager. So, my groundwork has to be now.

Originally Posted By: Jim1961
One suggestion, which is more from my perspective as a dad and not about my mother (which is a good thing for this conversation).

Don't over protect him. He is a boy, and as he grows he will need to find his own way. Make his own friends, etc. My wife has trouble with this concept, and our son is 18! Lol.

So you do sound like a wonderful mom, but please don't use this terrible experience to try to shield him from life. He needs to grow up, and experience life.

Jimmy

#384505 - 02/05/12 10:23 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: pat8]
pat8 Offline

Note: my son was there for 4 hours , but the perp only had access to him for a small fraction of it. But it was long enough to cost him for his lifetime.
My niece asked to spend time with him, and once he was there she went chatting with her friends on the net instead. That is all it takesÖ

Originally Posted By: pat8
Thanks, Jimmy. I know what you mean.

I will have to walk a fine line...For now I will surely not let him be by himself with anyone else . It all happened in an interval of just 4 hours that he was at my brotherís house (my brother was at work, my niece was in another room). And the perp is someone who I watched grow, who I know since he was 5yo himself. SoÖ I canít and wonít trust anyone else (only my husband, and my parents, of course). My son is now very vulnerable, because his boundaries were somehow shattered. I have to help him rebuild them, and help him understand what happened.

I am just so glad he is not a teenager. I know things will change as he grows. I still have many years during which he praises parents more than friends smile. He is strong willed and assertive. It will not be easy for me to over shield him as a teenager. So, my groundwork has to be now.

Originally Posted By: Jim1961
One suggestion, which is more from my perspective as a dad and not about my mother (which is a good thing for this conversation).

Don't over protect him. He is a boy, and as he grows he will need to find his own way. Make his own friends, etc. My wife has trouble with this concept, and our son is 18! Lol.

So you do sound like a wonderful mom, but please don't use this terrible experience to try to shield him from life. He needs to grow up, and experience life.

Jimmy

#384511 - 02/05/12 10:54 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: pat8]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Dear Pat8,

Lee's comments were excellent. I would also note, sometimes once a boy has been abused, he is more likely to be abused again. Also, remember, biological parents abuse also. I say this only so that you don't inadvertently suggest to your son that there are some people you don't want to know, or won't believe, abuse him.

Sometimes they are abused again because a predator knows of the original abuse and knows the child is now even more confused and unsure and takes advantage of this. I'm here for a friend, and he was abused by his biological parent at an early age and a babysitter at about 10. He's always suspected the parent suggested the idea to the sitter.

Best wishes,
D.

#384518 - 02/05/12 11:06 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: Disappointed]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Also, about therapists. My friend saw a very bad therapist as a child, who told him he was very bad, or words to that effect.

Also, as an adult, he's been seeing therapists for at least 4 years that I know of. He changed therapists last year to get one more familiar with the kinds of problems he has.

So, therapists are definitely not one size fits all.

#384524 - 02/05/12 11:32 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: Disappointed]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Dear Pat8,
not sure that I have some additional advice but just keep being good mother as you already are would be enough. Your son needs to feel love and to feel as every other child. As small boy he is living in his own world with super speed dynamics. Maybe in his own mind he has already moved from that bad experience. Sometimes is much harder for adults to adopt and to heal. He needs to feel same as others: as small boy who is discovering world...
There will be moments when you'll wonder is your son protected, is he in safe hands, what is going in his mind etc. If you would feel like that just give him hug and tell him that you love him. Don't overreact and try to avoid being too worry. Don't let your fears drives you later in your life. You also need to be and feel like everyday usual mum smile...
In long term your son needs to learn to be by his own, to trust his own judgments and not to be scared of world.
But it seems to me that you already gave him some lessons on that smile!
I just can say: bravo super mum smile!!!

#384655 - 02/07/12 02:57 AM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: peroperic2009]
pat8 Offline

Thank you D. and peroperic2009!

#384924 - 02/08/12 02:06 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: Gretta]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Originally Posted By: Gretta
Jim how do you not over protect knowing everything we hear on this board? I use to be really laid back and thought this stuff happened somewhere else. I am a crazy woman know.

Sorry Gretta it took a while to get back to you on this question.

How do we protect our children from the world? Well, be present... be cautious... but don't be smothering.

Trust is a tough thing I know, and the unfortunate reality is that no matter what we (parents) do... bad things can still happen...

I think the risk though is if we are too overprotective then kids can fail to grow up, and handle situations on their own. They can learn to distrust EVERYONE. Do we want that for our kids???

It is a fine line, a tough balance. Give them enough space to grow up, yet stay engaged to watch out for them...

I will share what we have done for our kids. They are both teens now (13 yo girl, 18 yo boy). But first, for many reasons I won't go into here my wife knows nothing of the seksual abuse I suffered. But ironically she is WAY too overprotective (IMHO)...

Karate: We started both our kids in karate when they were 5. Our son is now a third degree Black Belt, and daughter is 1st degree. Karate is fantastic for teaching discipline, confidence and self-defense. My wife and I also take classes, and it is a great workout too! You can make it a family activity. Bottom line: I pity the foo that messes with either of our kids...lol

Organizations: We ensured that any group our kids join (with adult involvement) has a good youth protection policy. Our son is involved in Boy Scouts (just got his Eagle) and both of our kids are involved with the youth groups at our church (Catholic Parrish). I have to say that the media SLAMS both groups, but I sure feel safe with them involved with either and I appreciate the good moral teachings (the culture war is not lost yet...).

Finally, I did my best to make sure it was safe for our kids to express themselves. I grew up where my emotions did not matter, and it lead to keeping secrets... which puts kids at HIGH RISK. Keep the communications open, even when they hit puberty (which is not easy as a parent!)..

Jimmy

My Story

#384942 - 02/08/12 04:27 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: Jim1961]
herowannabe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Stellar advice, Jim!

Your kids are so lucky to have such good parents!

I love that you've empowered them with karate skills. I bet they are confident and proud knowing they can protect themselves AND others, if need be. And Scouts is awesome, as is the youth group activity (LifeTeen?). You've got all bases covered! Good for you!!!

Thanks for this!
herowannabe

For I know the plans I have made for you. Plans to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

#385080 - 02/09/12 09:17 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: pat8]
Older1 Offline

Praising your son for telling you, re-affirming that he is safe, and you love him. Casual and spontaneous physical hugs by mother and father (with each other and with son) might also help provide demonstrations of healthy touch.

#385095 - 02/09/12 11:02 PM Re: How could you mother have helped you? [Re: pat8]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: pat8
... "my body belongs to me."...

pat8,

What you said to your son (posted above) is prefect in my mind.

Bravo to your son for speaking up. I was quiet for 45 years even through my dads death. I have struggled with the question "why did I not tell." - urgh

Your son has a great mom.

Peace,
Avery

Edited by Avery46 (02/09/12 11:06 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.