Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
5 registered (lapchinj, freeze-on, 3 invisible), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63775 Topics
445370 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#383810 - 01/29/12 11:19 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: earlybird]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois
I have maintained a stance of silent neutrality, but I feel I cannot any longer.

Everyone here is seeking to have our voices heard, whether the whisper of a boy, the shout of a man, or the sobs of a wife. We are all searching for the answers.

Anyone doing a random web search for rape, molestation, etc. leads to this website. Blindly turning a deaf ear to these cries adds more grief to the broken hearts.

It falls upon us here to love one another, care for one another, to listen with our hearts. Remember 1in6...it will not change until we lead the change...

Forrest

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8711#Post348711

#383824 - 01/30/12 01:39 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: Darkheart]
Lo Don Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sacramento
You are poetry, true poetry Forrest. You are correct we have to love and care for one another with our hearts.
You say 1 in 6 males tell? Or are they molested?

Don't stay neutral Darkheart; I believe I know you; or at least your spirit. You lead; I will follow.

Lo Don

'Dirty 'lil Boy','cause I allowed him to bang on me anywhere, anytime."Bend over you Dirty Boy;we know you can take it!"

#383833 - 01/30/12 06:28 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: Lo Don]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Estimates say 1 in 6 males are molested or raped. IMO the figures are incorrect. But, until the victims find their voices and feel safe to speak, we will never truly know...

I'm not a leader...I follow. But it only takes one voice to encourage, to hug, to wipe away tears. If that makes me a leader, then I'm on the front lines...

Edited by Darkheart (01/30/12 06:30 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#383836 - 01/30/12 07:57 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: Darkheart]
Lo Don Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sacramento
O K now Dark; I am poor at math; you and I make 1/3 of that total, so are we on our way? I know we need more.

I just told my Foster Sister, her Husband and their son. I have not heard anything as of yet. Sorta freaking out here and fear of being rejected. You would think I would be used to this by now. Like asking a girl out, are they not calling because they no way in hell ever go out with you? Or, they have not gotten your message.
I leave myself naked, and vulnerable for all to see. I'm afraid Dark.

'Dirty 'lil Boy','cause I allowed him to bang on me anywhere, anytime."Bend over you Dirty Boy;we know you can take it!"

#383839 - 01/30/12 08:41 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: Lo Don]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Vulnerability teaches us our own strength, as well as showing us who our real friends and family are. The problem arises when we divulge our past seeking comfort from others. The times I have told my story, I did so because I wanted it off my chest, regardless of what the others thought...

#383846 - 01/30/12 11:16 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: FormerTexan]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
One thing I've learned about myself since being raped is that it didn't kill the idealist in me. Because if it did, seeing this statement wouldn't have caused such a passionate anger to well up within me. I want to echo the sentiments of PisonerID, Earlybird, LN3(SS), JustScott, Men of Hearts, Lo Don and Darkheart as well as add some comments of my own:

Originally Posted By: FormerTexan

Controversial topics tend to side track conversation rather than remain focused on the issue of sexual abuse and related recovery. Therefore, if a topic appears to be one that will cause more controversy than clarity, we tend not to pursue it.

If we dance around the issue of male rape because talking about it might start a controversy, social change will never happen. Look at Penn State right now. The students are shaken up, it's a PR nightmare for that university, and that whole community is feeling a lot of grief and hurt right now over this controversy. I respect Male Survivor for emphasizing that the worst part about this whole thing is that these boys who were harmed never be the same, and the trauma they have undergone is severe. IN this case, Male Survivor is a voice of clarity in the midst of this controversy--standing up for the victims and doing what is right. I respect that.

Think about Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Jane Addams, Kofi Annan, and Nelson Mandela. They won Nobel Peace Prizes because of their influence on society. Did they get to that point because they avoided controversy? No, they were successful because they stood up for what is right in the midst of controversy. Sometimes you have to make the public feel a little uncomfortable in order for social change to happen.

For both males and females, CSA tends to be more easily discussed than the sexual assault of adults. Moving this tendency is not something that can be handled in a press release format.

I agree with you that CSA isn't as easily discussed as adult sexual assault, especially in males. But isn't that a terrible thing? Shouldn't Male Survivor work to bring social attitudes about male rape out of the dark ages and into the 21st century? So much progress has been made to support women who have been sexually victimized in the last 50 years. Many books, articles and organizations have come about since the 1988 conference about male sexual abuse victims that led to MS's founding in 1994. Social attitudes about male CSA are not where they should be, but progress has happened and is happening. Unfortunately, male rape victims are still decades behind this progress. That's a problem that has forced many of us into a life of silence and shame. When I first came to this forum, I was told that I didn't have to live in shame anymore. As a man who recently went through the hell that is sexual assault, that was a huge comfort to me, and I have a lot of gratitude in my heart for the brotherly support I got from the other survivors here, and that includes friends with CSA and ASA. If the press release format is not considered a prudent way to enact the social change that needs to happen, then what is Male Survivor going to do instead?

The issue around military sexual assault is an example of one that can be difficult to cover since bringing attention to the existence of male sexual assault can easily be sidetracked into a debate about whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to serve. We would be happy to find issues we could address that clearly bring attention to the needs of men in the military who have been abused that cannot be derailed into another unrelated controversy.

Almost everything that is discussed here on these forums could be easily sidetracked, if it's allowed to get to that point. I don't see why discussing Military Sexual Trauma is in any way less controversal than the clergy sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church, which is widely discussed here and in the media. This organization doesn't seem afraid to stand up for the victims, even though it could spark conversation about the issue of allowing gays into the priesthood. Myth #2 on the Male Survivor's website states:

Originally Posted By: Male Survivor Website

Most sexual abuse of boys is perpetrated by homosexual males.

Pedophiles who molest boys are not expressing a homosexual orientation any more than pedophiles who molest girls are practicing heterosexual behaviors. While many child molesters have gender and/or age preferences, of those who seek out boys, the vast majority are not homosexual. They are pedophiles.

OK, so we've established that what happened to those boys is sexual abuse, not a homosexual act. The language in this article, along with much of the Male Survivor website, is CSA-specific, but why should it be any different for men assaulted as adults? The rape of men is not a gay issue, it's a human rights issue. Gays and lesbians have enough social marginalization issues to overcome without being dragged into this topic, and that's exactly why Male Survivor needs to work hard to dispell the myths about men who are sexually victimized as adults. It's sexual victimization, not homosexual sex.

I was raped as a grown man and it's taken a lot of therapy and a lot of healing to realize that I didn't have gay relations with the guy who raped me. I didn't consent to what was forced upon me. Even though all attempts at fighting back were futile, I still am haunted by this idea that as a grown man, I should have been able to fend him off. The idea that grown men are immune to sexual victimization and attack is a myth that needs to be busted up and taken down.

I am leaving this community with the words of Rabbi Hillel:

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?

If I am only for myself, what am I?

And, if not now, when?"

#383855 - 01/30/12 12:56 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: CruxFidelis]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you Crux!

#384049 - 02/01/12 01:34 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: Darkheart]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Various people have posted in this thread.

Is any member of the Board hearing us? Is there a plan to discuss our concerns?

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#384068 - 02/01/12 06:18 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: LN3(SS)]
westchesterguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Westchester County NY
Originally Posted By: LN3(SS)
Various people have posted in this thread....

it is curious to me, but i just re-read all the comments and i'm not entirely sure what concerns are being proposed.

this is an organization -- volunteer no less -- of important thought leaders who are also trying to survive (in the real world) while dedicating their time and personal resources as best they can to malesurvivor.

i've done outreach myself and learned very early on that an organization or campaign cannot possibly exist to, nor, meet the needs of everyone. it is paramount to stick to a mission when resources are so extremely limited. it isn't personal and i am only suggesting that this could be the case here too without them weigh in.

#384082 - 02/01/12 08:13 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: westchesterguy]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
MaleSurvivor’s mission statement.

“We are committed to preventing, healing, and eliminating all forms of sexual victimization of boys and men through support, treatment, research, education, advocacy, and activism.”

Please note it states “boys and MEN” who have been sexually victimized.

Are we not part of the mission? Is it wrong that we ask to be included in the “advocacy” mission and not passively accepting being dismissed as too controversial? Why are our needs being referred to as a distraction from the important work of MaleSurviver and not subtly implying we are attempting to diminish resources dedicated to a more deserving segment of sexually assaulted males?

Edited by earlybird (02/01/12 08:15 PM)

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.