Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, petercorbett, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63367 Topics
443101 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#379148 - 12/12/11 03:58 PM MS News Releases
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I have seen a couple of news releases from MS over the last few weeks. What I want to know is why all the news releases have favored and emphasized child sexual abuse?

There have been a couple of recent events favoring adult survivors, specifically military survivors. However, MS has not seen fit to throw its support behind those efforts in the form of a news release.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#381105 - 12/31/11 09:13 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: LN3(SS)]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
This thought had crossed my mind as well on several occasions.

Daryl

#381125 - 12/31/11 03:43 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: prisonerID]
men_of_hrts.dbw Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Orchidland Big Island Hawaii
Thanks for speaking up Brian and Daryl
I stumbled in on a random key word search eighteen months after l disclosed what happened and as a survivor of adult sexual assault l have always felt like a third wheel here.
I stay because of the common issues/conditions and the bonding with many of the men here over the past few years.
If l had seen Oprah's 200 Men or current media anouncements which included the Malesurvivor agenda l might have felt even more alone.
I was always envious thirty years ago of womens services and us men had nowhere to go.
I havent't seen the news release's mentioned, but MS has more to offer with Family & Friends and Professionals plus the Weekend of Retreat events, International Conference, Library etc...
Malesurvivor is all inclusive and hopefully the public is getting that message.
I also hope the men who are survivors of adult sexual assault can focus on the similiarities and not the differences when they first find this site.
The only thing here at MS that concern me are posts with great detail of events. I would never tell a non-professional the details.
Doug

"What Say the Brethren"
"Hang the Bastards"

#383181 - 01/22/12 11:16 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: men_of_hrts.dbw]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

This topic has sat without response from any member of the Board for over a month.

This topic and its questions are still highly relevant. This weekend a significant milestone for military sexual trauma survivors took place. Yet there was no official statement of support from MaleSurvivor, much less a press release.

What are the guidelines for issuing these press releases or statements of support on the homepage? What does MaleSurvivor intend to do regarding the glaring disparities between its overwhelming press support for CSA issues vice ASA issues that have gone unrecognized by MaleSurvivor in terms of publicity?

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#383335 - 01/24/12 08:02 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: LN3(SS)]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I've never experienced ASA, but I think it's a valid point and question.

Especially since the sites Moniker is: "Overcoming Sexual Victimization of Boys & Men."

Yes I know a loud voice needs to be put out to protect children who either are unable or incapable of defending or speaking up for themselves, but the deal is, while adults are typically able and capable, in the face of a societal wall of utter ignorance and contempt many men are squashed to silence and I think need an advocate who will stand with them and be a loud voice for them while they deal with the matter of healing.

I have to say, I am surprised this was never responded to in any official manner.

#383615 - 01/27/12 06:17 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: JustScott]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Male Survivor has recently entered into using press releases and social media to increase awareness of male sexual victimization. This is a work in progress and policy will change as the process matures. When we issue a press release, we seek to speak to general issues affecting male survivors and/or to promote the organization or events we sponsor. If a member has information that male survivor should speak to in a press release, they are welcome to use the contact us tab at http://www.malesurvivor.org/contact-us.html to share that information. Although the volunteers who work on identifying and writing the press releases watch for relevant topics, we cannot see everything. Once a topic is found we seek to determine if speaking about it will encourage healing, awareness and/or prevention more than it will raise controversy.

Controversial topics tend to side track conversation rather than remain focused on the issue of sexual abuse and related recovery. Therefore, if a topic appears to be one that will cause more controversy than clarity, we tend not to pursue it.

Much of the press releases are in response to current events being covered in the press. For both males and females, CSA tends to be more easily discussed than the sexual assault of adults. Moving this tendency is not something that can be handled in a press release format. The issue around military sexual assault is an example of one that can be difficult to cover since bringing attention to the existence of male sexual assault can easily be sidetracked into a debate about whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to serve. We would be happy to find issues we could address that clearly bring attention to the needs of men in the military who have been abused that cannot be derailed into another unrelated controversy.

We are currently working on finding funding to hire some staff to allow for people to be dedicated to meeting the needs of survivors as a vocation rather than relying exclusively on volunteers who can only do so on a part time basis.

If you have specific item please use the contact us tab mentioned above to share them.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#383633 - 01/27/12 01:19 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: FormerTexan]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
I address this to the MaleSurvivor organizational leadership on all levels and not to any one individual.

I honestly do not know what to say to this. If MaleSurvivor as an organization cannot address the issues of ASA men then who can? Who else has at least the general knowledge and expertise, if not the specific, to phrase things to where things cannot be sidelined? And even if they are then this is enough to not attempt to stand up for what is right?

I recently found an abundance of youtube videos as well as a couple of blogs ridiculing the idea that an adult man could actuailly be raped. I felt very sick at seeing and reading these things but posted my complaints against such vile statements. I guess it is a good thing I know how to take up for myself for no one else is going to.

Rather than address this on the various points or debate anything written in this officail statement I will simply close this now. I think it best to just leave it at how disappointed I really am at reading this.

Daryl

Edited by prisonerID (01/27/12 01:26 PM)
Edit Reason: corrections

#383728 - 01/28/12 04:17 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: prisonerID]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have to echo Daryl's sentiments.

I think there are a couple of issues with the statement that I would like clarification about.

Originally Posted By: FormerTexan
For both males and females, CSA tends to be more easily discussed than the sexual assault of adults.
Wasn't this the same condition that CSA was in back before CSA became the "cool" topic on the street? I thought the whole mission statement of this organization was to be "committed to preventing, healing, and eliminating all forms of sexual victimization of boys and men through support, treatment, research, education, advocacy, and activism." Doesn't men encompass ASA and/or MST survivors as well?

Originally Posted By: FormerTexan"
Moving this tendency is not something that can be handled in a press release format.
How else was the CSA movement accomplished if not, in part, by press releases about things concerning CSA? Why should MS not be on the leading edge of promoting ASA discussion through its press releases?

The issue around military sexual assault is an example of one that can be difficult to cover since bringing attention to the existence of male sexual assault can easily be sidetracked into a debate about whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to serve.
I thought it was a cardinal principle of sex crimes that they concerned power over the victim and not the sexual orientation of either the perpetrator or the victim? I would also think that MS would have the expertise necessary to advocate for survivors that cannot speak for themselves, such as military men that live in fear of their lives after being traumatized in their units, without allowing it to be sidetracked.

If you have specific item please use the contact us tab mentioned above to share them.
The tab that was mentioned is a simple fill in the blank form that has a "general email inquiry" or "media inquiry" regarding the reason for contact. How can the members hold the organization accountable for its actions or lack thereof regarding its press releases if they have no knowledge of the communications?

I must also register my disappointment with the statement released.

Brian

#383729 - 01/28/12 04:23 PM Re: MS News Releases [Re: LN3(SS)]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just for clarity's sake, I am requesting that the organization release 2 statements concerning:

1) the recent debut of the first documentary about military sexual trauma "The Invisible War". The filmmaker used some men in the making of the documentary and it has received at least one writeup in The Washington Post. It debuted to critical acclaim this year at the Sundance Film Festival.

2) The recent flood of legislation concerning reporting of military sexual trauma. Some of this legislation would seek to take investigation and prosecutorial decisions out of the hands of the accused's unit commander and vest that authority in the Pentagon.

Brian

#383783 - 01/29/12 10:31 AM Re: MS News Releases [Re: LN3(SS)]
earlybird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: WA USA
Iíd like to add to the list of things that shouldnít be discussed in press releases.

1) Boys being sexually assaulted by their pastors canít be openly discussed because then it could spin out of control as to does God exist or care enough about his children to get involved.
2) Boys being sexually assaulted by their Boy Scout leader canít be mentioned because then there are those that will sidetrack the conversation into whether gay boys should be allowed into the program.
3) Undocumented immigrant boys who were sexually assaulted by class room teaches because then we may get into an argument over boarder protection and illegal immigration.
4) Gay men being raped because then we may get accused of promoting the gay agenda.
5) Boys being sexually assaulted by one of their parents because we donít want to suggest that BIG government should impose itself into the private matters of the family unit.
6) Atheist boys or men raped canít be mentioned in press releases because it might break down into a debate about the existence of a supreme being or they deserved it because they used their free will to be outside the protection of God.
7) Date rape between men is off the table because there are some who will swing the conversation towards the strongly held belief that only cross gender dating is acceptable.
8) Canít mention the abuse of overweight boys because then a fitness discussion may overwhelm the conversation
9) Iím sure I missed a many others.

So I guess we are left with talking about nothing at all because all things are controversial to someone and can and will be derailed either by accident or intent.

There is symmetry
In self-reflection
Life exemplified
Grace personified

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.