Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64154 Topics
447645 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#362836 - 05/23/11 07:48 PM Film: Adam
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I usually try to report on films for survivors.

Last night I watched Adam. It's about an adult guy who had Asperger's Syndrome. The account was fictional but supposedly based on what this would actually be like.

The guy was quite intelligent but had trouble interpreting social situations.

This bothered me because I have some of these symptoms as a result of being a survivor of child sexual abuse. Sometimes it's as though I just don't get it.

Allen

#362869 - 05/24/11 02:21 AM Re: Film: Adam [Re: pufferfish]
rebecca24 Offline

Loc: AZ
I dislike the movies like that, yes it insults masculinity

#362890 - 05/24/11 09:58 AM Re: Film: Adam [Re: rebecca24]
ShOHIO Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Allen,
Thank you for letting us know about this movie. My Partner of 18 years has Aspergers and it would be a good movie for him and I to watch. Aspergers is a very hard condition to figure out. Many say often say that it gets lumped into other condition or disorder, but in reality it is a disorder of its own and at certain levels can be cripling to those who have it.

Thank you.

Scot

GROW MY BROTHERS AND STAY STRONG,FOR YOU ARE YOUR STRENGTH!

#362893 - 05/24/11 10:16 AM Re: Film: Adam [Re: ShOHIO]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Agreed. Asperger's is rough for sure!

Both myself and my son are on the autism spectrum, so I relate to character's like Adam.

Another good book to read if you want a personal life account is by John Elder Robison, called "Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Aspergers"

Excellent book, and yes, social situations are rough. There are times I have absolutely no clue how to read someone, which for me then creates a huge amount of anxiety.

#362896 - 05/24/11 10:38 AM Re: Film: Adam [Re: JustScott]
ShOHIO Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Thank you for the book idea. As a partner of someone with Aspergers it is hard to watch and to understand what my partner is going though. So it is just the same for him to understand what I am going through with my abuse. He goes through Huge bouts of anxiety and withdraws and me being social it is hard for me to understand. With these types of information it opens my mind up and gives me a better understand to him.

Thank you,
Scot

GROW MY BROTHERS AND STAY STRONG,FOR YOU ARE YOUR STRENGTH!

#362909 - 05/24/11 12:38 PM Re: Film: Adam [Re: ShOHIO]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had problems with language as a child. I was a mute (not a mut smile ) for a while. I was depressed. I was socially awkward. I went bowling once and I was stiff and incapable of smooth motions so my game really suffered. When I tried to do the dance: Twist, people laughed at me. I couldn't look people in the eye. But that was because of shame from abuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

But I clearly had a history of abuse, and it would seem that those symptoms could be attributed to abuse.

Allen

#362920 - 05/24/11 03:56 PM Re: Film: Adam [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I found this material on Asperger's

Chloe Veltman considers the latest in a run of Aspergerís-centric movies from Hollywood:

"Aspergerís syndrome has become a pop-culture fetish lately. The hazily understood autism spectrum disorder has become a common plot device in such television shows as House, Bones, and Law & Order. The protagonists of Mark Haddonís 2003 novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and Stieg Larssonís thriller The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2008) are affected by the syndrome. It is the subject of a slew of new non-fiction titles including 22 Things a Woman Must Know If She Loves a Man With Aspergerís by Rudy Simone, The Love-Shy Survival Guide by Talmer Shockley, and Christopher Babcockís The Imprinted Brain. Hollywood has also picked up on the trend with a growing pile of Aspergerís-centric films including 2005ís Mozart and the Whale, which stars Josh Hartnett and Radha Mitchell as two Aspergerís syndrome sufferers, and the recent animated feature Mary and Max, centering on the relationship between a middle-aged New Yorker with Ö "

http://www.baycitizen.org/profiles/chloe-veltman/

Chloe Veltman is a Bay Area culture correspondent for The Bay Citizen. She has worked as both a staff reporter for The Daily Telegraph and as a freelance writer, her articles appearing on both sides of the Atlantic in such publications as The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, The Financial Times, The Guardian, Gramophone Magazine, Angeleno Magazine, Dwell, The Believer, BBC Classical Music Magazine and SF Weekly, where she served as chief theatre critic for five years.

Edited by pufferfish (05/24/11 04:01 PM)

#383589 - 01/27/12 12:22 AM Re: Film: Adam [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish (edited)
I had problems with language as a child. I was mute (I couldn't talk). It lasted for several years when I was a young teen. I was depressed. I was socially awkward.

.... I clearly had a history of abuse, and it would seem that those symptoms could be attributed to abuse.

What should we think about the boy in this report? He said he was "injured" in summer camp.

http://abcnews.go.com/watch/nightline/SH...-social-phobias

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (01/27/12 12:41 AM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.