Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (sentry), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64165 Topics
447757 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#383561 - 01/26/12 06:12 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: LN3(SS)]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I think you need to look at the moral and not just the legal responsibilities. I believe he should not have been honored with the cloud of the scandal hanging over his head-and that of Sandusky,et al. To me, it seems to say victims he was a hero, but to the victims he was not a hero but rather a coward who ran to his bosses and washed his hands of the situation. Now, Paterno was an outspoken individual, and I believe to have been outspoken on this situation would have been the right thing to do, but he chose to protect the institution and sadly his sports program. If he had spoken out he would have been a hero.

#383605 - 01/27/12 03:16 AM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: KMCINVA]
markchristopher Offline

Loc: Washington USA
I hope this does not turn into a fight between ourselves.

To preface this I will say that more could have been done. Not only by Paterno, but by every person involved.

I personally see blame as a game many people like to play, but no one can win at. After reading several articles I actually find all the outrage and hate being thrown at this man quite undeserved. This was not the only man involved. He told TWO other people, and there was also the man who told him. Yet somehow these other three people are being forgotten in this?

What the exact duties are of the university police I am not sure, but I believe they include the need to report to the state/city police a situation of abuse that has been reported to them. If anyone is responsible for not passing on information it would be that man. Is it too much to think that maybe Paterno thought the issue was taken care of? He had already informed the "police" albeit University police, but someone who's job it was to take care of things like this.

To take the known facts, that Paterno not only told but told two people, and then say that Paterno was PROTECTING this abuser, I think, is nothing other than misdirected hate. We have already been through so much of that dark black and icky substance that I can't see why we must continually fling it on bystanders. We should be a force for enlightenment, encouragement, and emotional support. Not a faction destined to ruin any person who learned of another's abuse, but when they told happened to tell someone unwilling to repeat that morally required deed.

If we wish people to get more involved and protective of children we should not be punishing those who tell. We should instead be using this story as an example to others for why just telling is not enough. YES Paterno told, but it wasn't enough to fix the problem. When someone sees, hears, or learns of abuse we should be encouraging people to not only tell but to take ownership of the problem. They should go back and ask what is being done about the problem, not just forget about it hoping that it has gone away.

I think that McQueary could have given more information to Paterno to make sure he understood the severity of what was going on. Paterno and McQueary should have both gone to the proper authorities and notified them. They should have also gone back to ensure something was being done. BUT, most notably, I feel Paterno did do what he "felt" was right and needed and did not just brush it off. Again that really should have been enough since the men he told were supposed to pass this on as well. So if fault does lie with one of these men it is with the men that Paterno told.

To sum this up it seems to be a burning of a public figure for the failings of those around him.

Edited by markchristopher (01/27/12 03:23 AM)

#383628 - 01/27/12 12:13 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: markchristopher]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
The actions of Joe Paterno in NEVER SAYING ANOTHER WORD ABOUT IT, even while Sandusky was a regular on campus is the point. Joe Paterno was a micromanager yet let this one go. They all did. Joe Paterno soiled his own reputation and both he, his family and PSU have to accept that. Look at what happened to Jim Tressel over tattoos and cell phones. What continues to bring derision is the apologists who minimize what the PSU culture did. The state prosecutor got it right when she stated everyone involved with this program acted disgracefully. Give up, you will not find sympathy for Joe Paterno on this board. The more you research the facts of this case, the more pissed off it makes you.

Edited by catfish86 (01/27/12 02:47 PM)
Edit Reason: KMCINVA is right, prosecutor referred to everyone
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#383635 - 01/27/12 02:03 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: catfish86]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Question the prosecutors comments should it be everyone or noone? thanks

#383644 - 01/27/12 02:45 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: KMCINVA]
pluckmemory Offline

Joe Paterno stated in an interview before he died that he had never heard of men raping kids. Give me a break. What a dissembler.

Say a prayer for the brave Sandusky victims. No one should waste one more second defending Paterno.

#383649 - 01/27/12 03:12 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: LN3(SS)]
pluckmemory Offline

Look, think about it -- the boys were being raped. This calls for urgency on the part of adults who knew what Sandusky was doing. You don't just say "OK, I reported Sandusky to my boss, so I guess I've done my duty." These were boys who were being raped. Any moral adult would keep at the authority he reported this to, to contact law enforcement. This was a life and death situation.

Back in 2002, I reported Dr. William Ayres to the police after one of his victims told me Ayres had molested him at the age of 12. When I called the police, they were ho-hum and were ambivalent about investigating him. I didn't say " OK, now I've fulfilled my duty as stated by the law and reported the abuse, so I think I will sit back." I kept at the police for FIVE YEARS. As we have seen in the priests cases and in the Ayres case, if you don't have citizens really ringing the alarm, often DA's and police and Children's Services won't do anything.

It's up to each and every citizen to go beyond the call of duty and make sure that law enforcement are contacted when there is a known predator out there raping boys.

I don't think some people realize just how hard it is to get the attention of law enforcement. You can be sure if Joe Paterno had been a mensch and insisted that the police be contacted, that they would have done something

#385175 - 02/10/12 01:01 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: LN3(SS)]
pluckmemory Offline

#385180 - 02/10/12 02:01 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: pluckmemory]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Isn't he in court trying to allow his grandchildren to visit him. Judge took request under advisement. The are also arguing over where the jury pool should come from--locally or from another county. Prosecutors are pushing for outside of local area. I wonder how many delays there will be?

#385262 - 02/11/12 07:44 AM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: KMCINVA]
pluckmemory Offline

I believe it has been settled that he will be tried locally. Don't know whether anything has been decided about the grandchildren. I believe that one of the wives of one of Sandusky's adopted children does not want him to see his grandson.

#385580 - 02/13/12 01:27 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

Judge allows visits for 11 out of 14 Sandusky grandchildren:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/13/us-usa-crime-sandusky-idUSTRE81C15520120213

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.