Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (Scott1962, traveler, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443456 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#383505 - 01/26/12 07:42 AM Freaking Flag at half mast in PA....
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Governor Tom Corbett has ordered all Pennsylvania flags in the Capitol Complex and at Commonwealth facilities statewide to fly at half-staff to honor former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, who died Sunday at the age of 85. Flags are to remain at half-staff thru sunset on Thursday, January 26.

This SOB has so totally lost my vote. Regardless of the PSU situation, when the Hell did sports figures rate so high that we fly the flag at half mast when they die?????

Certainly shows what this jackwagon's priorities are.

And yes.... this will be remembered by me at the very least come re-election time.

Edited by JustScott (01/26/12 07:44 AM)

#383511 - 01/26/12 08:43 AM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: JustScott]
pluckmemory Offline

Unbelievable.

#383517 - 01/26/12 09:30 AM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: pluckmemory]
Canuck Offline

Loc: CA, United States
PA Governor Tom Corbett is offensive and disgusting.

#383543 - 01/26/12 02:34 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: Canuck]
pluckmemory Offline

Everyone here needs to read this tribute to victims, written over at the blog Daily Kos by a survivor who is angered at the accolades and tributes to Joe Paterno:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/26/1058599/-“No-One-Spoke-Up-for-Us:-For-The-Children-Who-Had-No-Voice-and-For-those-finally-finding-Theirs?via=siderecent

Edited by pluckmemory (01/26/12 02:36 PM)

#383546 - 01/26/12 02:52 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: pluckmemory]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Another Kossack? :-)

I liked her other one too. The rant. Ugly like it is. That one's real triggery folks. Be mindful.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#383550 - 01/26/12 03:53 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: LandOfShadow]
Canuck Offline

Loc: CA, United States
I have written a letter to Governor Corbett. You can plagiarize from me all you want:

Dear Governor Corbett,

I took a moment today to read your January 22, 2012 expression of condolences on the death of Joe Paterno, and your January 23, 2012 State Flag half staff order in honor of Joe Paterno.

I understand that Joe Paterno has meant a great deal to the State, in terms of fame and publicity, as well as in his “Generosity to Penn State as an institution.”

I would like to take a moment of your time to call attention to the grave damage that child molestation does to its victims. In most cases, children in such situations develop an intense mistrust of the very people who should be able to help them, especially when they perceive that people who should be helping them are failing to do so. These innate, learned responses persist well into adulthood, leading to a very difficult life for many victims of such crimes. In addition to feeling socially awkward our outcast, we typically suffer more health problems than the general population; we have greater odds of engaging in dangerous behaviors, acting out violently, and drug and alcohol abuse. We are often depressed, we have frequent suicidal thoughts, and sometimes, we follow through on those thoughts.

Child Molesters seem to have a unique ability to attach themselves to people who are financially, legally, and politically well connected, so that they have important people to defend them when they are exposed of their heinous crimes. This attachment often becomes insidious, pervasive, and inseparable without perceived sacrifice on the part of the persons defending the molester.

Mike McQueary, Tim Curley, Gary Schultz, Graham Spanier, and Joe Paterno are all people who fell into Jerry Sandusky’s trap, and they DID NOT “confront adversities” with “grace and forbearance.” Instead, they allowed colossal human damage to continue for a decade. Those men were too afraid of damage to their own reputations to stop Sandusky, and it is likely that no one will ever know the number of children victimized.

The victims of such crimes are often very attuned to those people who child molesters use as character witnesses, and the very mention of these supporters opens up wounds anew, almost as painful as the actual abuse was.

Your celebration of the “man,” Joe Paterno, is undoubtedly causing additional pain and grief in those who have suffered, and those who care about them.

It is shameful that your office has issued these tributes without also acknowledging the atrocious damage that Paterno has allowed.

Your office has fallen victim to the same seduction that McQueary, Curley, Schultz, Spanier, and Paterno have fallen for: You gain more popularity by celebrating the hero, than you would in standing up strongly for those damaged. And in so doing, you re-enforce the victim’s distrust of everyone who should have the power to stop the damage.

I hope you will take some time to learn about the damage that child molestation does to people, short and long term, and take it to heart in the future.

Emails can be sent to governor@pa.gov

His meat-mail and telephone information are here: http://www.governor.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/contact/2998

There is a form-mail link on his page there as well. Take thirty seconds to copy/paste/swamp.

Edited by Canuck (01/26/12 03:54 PM)

#383551 - 01/26/12 04:00 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: Canuck]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I think not flying the flag at half staff would disrespect Pateno's memory. Paterno did nothing wrong.

Alas it will all be over in a few hours. JoePa will have received his due.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#383553 - 01/26/12 04:03 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: LN3(SS)]
pluckmemory Offline

Paterno did not protect the victims and did not fulfill his duties as a mandated reporter. It's not clear to me how one can state that he did "nothing wrong."

#383555 - 01/26/12 04:08 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: pluckmemory]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
i think that the thing that should've been added is

the flags fly half mast for support of the victims from now until the trial is over with.

my story

my vlog

#383560 - 01/26/12 05:21 PM Re: Freaking Flag at half mast in PA.... [Re: Obi]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Paterno did protect the victims and did fulfill his duties as a mandated reporter.
http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/domestic-relations/00.063.011.000.html
Quote:
23 Pa.C.S. §6311(c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person is required to report under subsection (b) in the capacity as a member of the staff of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with section 6313. This chapter does not require more than one report from any such institution, school, facility or agency.

According to the Pennsylvania Code, Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do. He notified the chief law enforcement officer of Penn State (i.e. the designated agent of the person in charge).

I notice that it is almost sunset here on the East Coast. I'm glad Pennsylvania honored him.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.