Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
4 registered (jahfree, Bloom, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447916 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#383392 - 01/24/12 07:57 PM First Documentary
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
For the first time in history there has been a documentary produced about MST.
http://invisiblewarmovie.com/

It is professionally done and premiered at the Sundance film festival this last weekend. Mary J. Blige composed a song for it.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#383420 - 01/25/12 08:00 AM Re: First Documentary [Re: LN3(SS)]
Darkheart Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Illinois
Hey Brian ...

Does the film cover MST, or is it primarily geared towards female victims?

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8711#Post348711

#383423 - 01/25/12 08:56 AM Re: First Documentary [Re: Darkheart]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Hi Brian!

So, right away I see "...MST affects both women and men in uniform, but disproportionately affects women. "

How do you guys feel about that?

I guess I'm aware of many paragraphs of things I could say about why I'm uncertain exactly who it affects. Much is unknown about sexual violence generally, and I would think especially in the military. (Full disclosure: I'm not an MST survivor. I know Brian in real life so this caught my attention. I'm a CSA survivor and read a lot about abuse issues.)

So I would say, the only thing that's certain, is we Do Not Know how many and who is affected. Can anyone prove scientifically something about how many males are NOT affected?

"You don't know what you don't know... because you don't know it!" (as they say)

I'm more and more doing education about male victimization and using video as part of presentations. I'm interested in this film to get away from the tendency for the issue to drift toward childhood victimization as you here know all so well. It does.

The trailer only shows female victims, so I'm discouraged.

And I hope this post isn't unwelcome or harmful/triggering.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#383425 - 01/25/12 09:41 AM Re: First Documentary [Re: LandOfShadow]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
This film is solely about MST. However it does include a disproportionate number of female survivors of MST.

In the interests of full disclosure I was interviewed for this film in December. I also know a couple of other men in real life that were interviewed for this documentary.

This film was covered today in the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/s...tkPQ_story.html

I think that male MST survivors need an advocacy organization that will highlight our abuses.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.