Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
4 registered (Thebo, aniceguy, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443276 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#382381 - 01/14/12 03:48 PM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Sailor John]
Thebo Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC
I went to orientation Thursday. Spoke briefly to the head of the Creative Arts Therapy Program. She was fascinated by my volunteer job although I think the people at the table were kind of surprised I was doing "clinical work" before actually taking the course. Cart before the horse? I don't know, but it seems to work.

The department head asked what courses I plan to take. I mentioned Illicit Substance Use in Our Society and Therapeutic Approaches to Victims of Abuse. She was excited at my second choice. I have a funny feeling she's putting together my pieces, so to speak. While she talked to the group, she kept making deliberate direct eye contact with me. It sent an assuring message but did creep me out a little.

My partner is very concerned about my taking the Abuse course. When the speaker from the Student Services Department spoke, she mentioned our particular group of students, those returning after having been out in the world, will probably teach as much as we learn. I spoke with my friend Laurie, also a survivor, about this. Her feeling is that it is meant for me to be part of that class. Just the same, before I meet with my adviser, I will talk to my T at length. Truth be told, this is where I want to go with it, but my progress in my recovery is still in early stages. Anyone here have thoughts about that?

Of coarse I am fighting a lot of "do not deserve" messages and self-hatred over this. To combat that and get through I am creating a sacred space where I will indulge those feelings, let them out and then get on with the day. Dealing with recovery, going to school, and searching for a full time job (Yeah, that is still an important element in this equation)is a tall order. I still think I'm nuts for thinking I could do it, but what else can I do?

Also, when the bad days try to gobble me up and eat me alive, I'll be here, but more likely in the "At Risk" forum. As all of you who know me, when things go well that's when I psychologically and emotionally unravel.

So, there's the latest and the not-so-greatest of my bizarre little journey.

#383327 - 01/24/12 02:53 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

First class tonight: Foundations of Gender Studies. The title makes me think of girdles. Homework is done online. When I couldn't access it, I had a meltdown.

On Saturday there was a student services orientation. Four people were being friendly. I was so nervous. I don't like meeting people and definitely don't like when people like me. It makes me VERY nervous.

#383340 - 01/24/12 09:34 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Good steps man! Take it one day and one moment at a time!

Maybe one of these days I can follow those footsteps of yours and get myself back to college too!

#383341 - 01/24/12 09:52 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: JustScott]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Great to hear from you:

Keep moving forward!

We are all rooting for you!

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#383345 - 01/24/12 11:41 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Mountainous Buck]
Thebo Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Thud! (I just fainted.)

#383601 - 01/27/12 02:21 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
Thebo Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Tonight I had my first Understanding and Treating Victims of Abuse class. I thought it would be general, but it is mainly child abuse. Damn!

The verdict is in. I am really out of my league. I never liked academia or school. Things haven't changed.

Why should they?

The textbook is 107 f-n dollars! A 1" thick paperback written in "colloquial" language and easy to read. I found it at the ebay Goodwill store for $4.39. I splurged on the $2 expedited shipping. Higher education is so full of shit.

#383606 - 01/27/12 03:18 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Thebo]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California USA
Schools are all about money. Hang in there you will win I know it Mike

#383617 - 01/27/12 06:25 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: mike13]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Yeah - last time i took college courses i didn't want to register as a grad student because i would have to declare a program and set out a plan for another degree. But i just wanted a few courses to upgrade my teaching credential and keep it current. But i couldn't register as an undergrad cause i'd already gotten my BA. The same courses cost twice as much if you're a grad student!!!! They finally found or invented(?) another category that i could fit into called "post-under-grad" !!! I took the same courses as i wanted, but at half the price...
CRAZY - no?

Lee

Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#383618 - 01/27/12 07:31 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: traveler]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Dude

"The verdict is in. I am really out of my league. I never liked academia or school. Things haven't changed."

Really?

One class and "the verdict is in"? After all you have done, worked for, prepared for, shown up for, you judge/condemn yourself after one class?

Fire that jury, take it one day at a time and build your own record in school before you accept ANY verdict- will ya?

“It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#384206 - 02/03/12 03:06 AM Re: Moving ahead [Re: Mountainous Buck]
Thebo Online   sad
MaleSurvivor

Ok, Buck--

Tell me.

What have I done? Really.

What have I prepared for?

Shown up? What have I shown up for?

Tell me. What is it you see and I don't? And DO NOT feed me some Survivors R Us Pollyanna bullshit.

Page 6 of 20 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.