Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (BraveFalcon, Obi, traveler, 1 invisible), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445466 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#383133 - 01/22/12 06:02 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: Rusty563]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

I try to ask myself in every questionable situation--what would I want for myself of for my loved one. That is the standard. And I'd want someone to follow up if they heard about my child being raped. So yeah, lots of things are legal, but they aren't ethical or moral, and that is the standard I want to be judged by.

#383134 - 01/22/12 06:03 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: GoodHope]
GoodHope Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm not "glad" he's dead and I don't want him to rot in hell either. I hope I never forget this and I hope other people remember this when they are are in an uncomfortable spot--think of the person in the equation with the least amount of power--and children never have power. That's the side you want to look out for, even if your friend is the powerful one.

#383138 - 01/22/12 06:22 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: GoodHope]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
I can't wait to see the little self-entitled shits at Penn Snake take to the streets this time. RIH

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#383152 - 01/22/12 07:37 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: Still]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I hope Paterno made some provisions in his will to help those that suffered from his silence. And we know he was not a silent man on the field or on the media.

#383164 - 01/22/12 08:58 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: KMCINVA]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
His legacy will be tainted. That may well be why such a strong man succumbed to a lung cancer that was initially characterized as "very treatable". Recruits were backing out of commitments like rats jumping from a burning ship. NCAA investigation is likely to result in severe penalties. Look at what happened to Ohio State over tatoos and cell phones. It all falls under "institutional control" and I can't fathom a more severe example of failure in this area in 1998, 2002 and whenever the janitors witnessed abuse to mention just what comes to mind. His lack of action may have put PSU back in league with Northwestern or lower which is where it was before JoePa came on board.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#383167 - 01/22/12 09:33 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: LN3(SS)]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL

It's what people do for the least of society that makes a person great not what they do for some fucking football program. I am literally sick of all these sports losers getting a pass on everything that goes on under their noses because it might affect the "game."

Paterno waited till after the weekend to report it because he didn't want to "mess up anyone's weekend."

Paterno himself claimed he was so f--king morally superior then didn't do what was right. Sounds so like the Catholic church Bishops who looked the other way and couldn't find the moral courage to call the cops.

The pic where a 70s grad of PSU burned his sheepskin in front of the PSU campus was exactly the right thing to do.

McQweary didn't do anything cause he was probably scared too. That says a helluva lot about how powerful the PSU bunch was. They played God. Now, they should face the righteous indignation of prosecution.

RIH Joe Paterno. And, tear down that damn statue of his!

I'll shed not one damn tear!

Now, I wish Sandusky lots of gangrapes in prison. I hope he lives to 84 so he gets to suffer as much as those kids.

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#383179 - 01/22/12 11:11 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: phoenix321]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
I think that until we get the country focused on simply following the law regarding reporting abuse we should forget about trying to hold people to some kind of higher "moral duty".

Joe Paterno didn't get a pass because of how it might affect the game. He got the pass because what he did was legally right. He reported the crime to the chief law-enforcement officer of PSU.

After his memorial service I hope the students take to the streets and protest what happened. I hope the PSU Board of Trustees are voted out for throwing a great man under the bus for doing the things they failed to do.

More imporantly I hope there is a good turnout at his memorial service. I hope that memorial service is filled with people that respect the man for all the things he did. I hope that when he reports to his Creator he hears "well done, good and faithful servant". A man of his moral character will be missed.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#383182 - 01/22/12 11:29 PM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: LN3(SS)]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
Originally Posted By: LN3(SS)

After his memorial service I hope the students take to the streets and protest what happened. I hope the PSU Board of Trustees are voted out for throwing a great man under the bus for doing the things they failed to do.

More imporantly I hope there is a good turnout at his memorial service. I hope that memorial service is filled with people that respect the man for all the things he did. I hope that when he reports to his Creator he hears "well done, good and faithful servant". A man of his moral character will be missed.

Brian

Huh? There's one element of CSA that you may wish to learn about; Its called "enablers." Enablers are individuals and parts or all of institutions that cover-up, ignore or otherwise allow CSa to begin and continue. In law, its called "conspiracy" or "dereliction of duty."

Don't know where you got yer info Brian, but paterno and many others knew this was a dangerous environment for a very long time and did nothing. The board of directors, the "Capain of the vessel" is responsible for everything that goes on under his command. its a very pure, old and simple concept of right and wrong. The locus of responsibility relates fully to the command and authority that creates an entity's culture of corruption or soundness. Paterno, IMO, was given an exit worthy of his ever-lasting heritage and deeds.

BTW: Maybe you missed my Mentor's inside view of Penn Snake, as he was a Grad Asst Coach there:

Dear Fellow Survivors:

The attached is written for you, to encourage and to support you as you heal and become whole. Life does get better. Coping mechanisms established when we're kids are often ineffective, yet can be relearned when we're adults, leading us survivors to choose happy and fulfilling lives; to gain control of our destinies.

http://mattpaknis.blogspot.com/2011/11/absolute-power-corrupts-absolutely.html

The Penn State scandal collided two of my worlds. I was a graduate assistant offensive line football coach at Penn State following their 1986 National Championship when Joe Paterno was Sport Illustrated's reigning Sportsman of the Year.

I am also a survivor of early childhood sexual abuse.

Sexual abuse survivors do have a high rate of recovery from trauma when we get the proper treatment.

Patience and persistence equals progress!

I hope you find the blog helpful and encourage you to stay the course.

Your comments and insights are welcomed.

If you need direction, please let me know.

You can do it!

Peace,
Matt
Matt Paknis Leadership Development

visit my website at: www.mattpaknis.com
blog me at: http://mattpaknis.blogspot.com/

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#383196 - 01/23/12 02:05 AM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: Still]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke (18th century philosopher)

While yes JoePa did what was legally required of him and the Pennsylvania legislators are to blame for the lax requirements of the law, I'm sure that if this happened to his grandson he would have contacted the police but instead he decided that the legacy of the football program was more important. Actually, covering up the incident did more damage to the program than probably would have if the Sundusky scandal had come out then. Just like the Catholic Church, having molestors as priests wouldnt have tarnished the reputation of the church had they just dealt with it appropriately. But they decieded to cover it up which allowed it to continue and thats why alot of people have bad feelings towards them.

Also if we are talking about what is legally required, his contract likely had a morals clause and Penn State was legally allowed to fire him.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#383213 - 01/23/12 08:31 AM Re: Joe Paterno dead--CBS sports says [Re: onlyakid]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I heard the news this morning and I was disgusted--people saying the Board of Trustees killed him by firing him and they did not let him die in peace. Well how about the victims who came after he was aware of the rape in the shower and have never known peace in their lives? Sadly, he died but at least he had to face his lack of moral judgment as to his knowledge of the attack.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.