Newest Members
gdj, Db, dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty
12386 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, Bardo, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12386 Members
74 Forums
63655 Topics
444550 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#383050 - 01/21/12 08:36 PM Why rear a child as gender neutral?
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This doesn't seem sensible to me:

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/couple-...-180300388.html

What do you think?

Puffer

#383052 - 01/21/12 09:28 PM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: pufferfish]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I think it's child abuse.

Did you read what's off limits? Things boys would like, like cargo pants and tee shirts with skulls.

It's disgusting.

#383289 - 01/23/12 09:54 PM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: Disappointed]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Sounds like someone wanted a girl. girls swimsuits? girls blouses at school? You had a boy and you should dress him like one so he doesn't feel like an outcast when he grows up.

Edited by onlyakid (01/23/12 09:56 PM)

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#383336 - 01/24/12 08:07 AM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: onlyakid]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Heck, here's a novel idea.... why not let the child decided what he wants to wear!

#383385 - 01/24/12 06:53 PM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: pufferfish]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
This doesn't seem sensible to me:

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/couple-...-180300388.html

What do you think?

Puffer

Apparently the parents are tying to pass along their bad parenting. If he never has adversity, how is he gonna react when he's an adult?

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#383787 - 01/29/12 12:21 PM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: phoenix321]
wgrrcb Offline

Edited by wgrrcb (02/20/13 03:35 PM)

#383841 - 01/30/12 09:10 AM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: pufferfish]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Our culture offers us mostly gender-stereotyped clothing... so how is it "neutral" to make a boy wear clothing that socially marks him as a girl? Reminds me of the Johnny Cash classic, "A Boy Named Sue." So these parents are experimenting to see what happens to their son when they send him to school in girlie clothing? I hope the kid doesn't get beaten up too badly.

It's taken us several decades just to accept long hair, stacked heels and earrings for males other than pirates. Frilly blouses and swimsuits? Not yet (pace, Sir Elton John). And it's barely a century since women wearing trousers were considered whores and/or deviants.

A 20-something female relative prefers to buy casual clothes in the men's department because she thinks today's girlie fashions look vulgar and lewd--think skinny jeans and midriff-baring microtops. And as small kids just a year apart in age, my sister and I had no qualms about interchanging our toys--dolls, soldiers, "pink" and "blue" books, games, etc. But nobody forced any of us to "bend" our gender behaviors. I think our parents were smarter than these misguided cross-dressing advocates.

Not a sermon, just a thought! Peace.

John

#383863 - 01/30/12 03:41 PM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: unhappycamper]
Bradley P Offline

Loc: AR
I too think it's child abuse disguised as "raising a child gender neutral" it's absolutely sickening

#384483 - 02/05/12 08:12 PM Re: Why rear a child as gender neutral? [Re: Bradley P]
Shawushka Offline

Loc: VA
Gender neutral child rearing taken to the extreme. Trying to avoid hyper-masculine stuff and hyper-feminine stuff (Barbie - horrible indeed, imho!) is something I'd support but this sounds extreme.
I do think there's too much gender stereotyping in our society, but it'd be better to raise children to be conscious to discuss what 'male identity' and 'female identity' is and how it affects one's life.
Trying to make the boy play with barbies and hope the girl wears the cargo pants/skull t-shirt is not really the way to go, imho.
On the other side I'd welcome a lot less pink stuff for girls and some boys liking a bit more pink stuff.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.