Newest Members
R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6, Johnnygolightly, Stormchaser
12318 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, SailingAway, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12318 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443118 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#382086 - 01/11/12 12:24 PM Working slowly
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Does anyone work at what others would consider a slow pace? Seems like it takes me longer to do things than other people (at work in particular). Anyone else find this or is this just a personal issue and not a survivor issue??

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#382088 - 01/11/12 12:37 PM Re: Working slowly [Re: onlyakid]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
I have the opposite issue. As I live in a constant state of being anxious, I tend to rush through things and often miss some important things. I realize that I am worried about appearing stupid (I was told by the 9th grade shop teacher who failed me that my IQ was so low that I wouldn't be able to graduate from high school). I always want to appear as a smart "good boy" who has it all together. I am still working on dumping that desire! I am sure that being a survivor of my uncle's abuse has a piece in this as well as I learned my purpose in life was to fulfill his needs.

#382148 - 01/12/12 01:01 AM Re: Working slowly [Re: ACRoberts]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Allan,
I figured it out, our two problems are related. I was always making mistakes when I would rush so I guess I'm slowing down so that I dont make mistakes but I guess Im going too far.

Jason

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#382149 - 01/12/12 01:13 AM Re: Working slowly [Re: onlyakid]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: onlyakid
Does anyone work at what others would consider a slow pace? Seems like it takes me longer to do things than other people (at work in particular). Anyone else find this or is this just a personal issue and not a survivor issue??

I have always had that 'problem'. I'm now finding out that it's because of loss of brain connections due to CSA when I was a child. I always finished tests last. I think that structured exercises can help us a lot. I'm just starting to look into this. I've already mentioned several possibilities: Music, EMDR, Vision therapy and the right kind of talk therapy. Writing our stories also helps. But I think that there are probably some exercises out there that we can learn from. We might have to borrow and adapt them from the work being done with veterans. I'll keep working on this. You can join me in doing this if you like.

Puffer

#382155 - 01/12/12 02:38 AM Re: Working slowly [Re: pufferfish]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
I was always a "panic-worker." That is, I was always in "panic-mode," so that would translate into light-speed progress followed by parralizing panic where I could not get ANYTHING done. At that point (almost always 90-days into the new job) I'd be criticized, feel entrapped, and find a lifeboat job to jump to. It was constant hell and contributed greatly to two major suicide-oriented events.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.